• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nick!

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2017
    DFW
    All,

My name is Nick and I live in Lewisville TX, which is a suburb of Dallas. I am about 30 minutes North West of the city itself. While in the suburbs, I am still in a pretty rural area with lots of houses, stores and people. While walking the pooch however this summer, I have had a few encounters with Coyotes, and another creature that looked a lot like a bobcat. Many way to close for comfort. Many of the neighbors have spotted these creatures as well. I live near a golf course which seems like just enough space for these creatures to run around.

While I have a variety of pistols such as a few 9mm glocks, 1911s, single stack compact pistols such as a G43, nothing that I would consider appropriate for protecting myself and the pooch against this type of game.

I am not a hunter, so I don't know a ton about cartridges best suited for hunting or animal defense. But at the end of the day, I am looking for an accurate, light pistol (no revolvers) that is small and light enough to carry around in light running shorts, but still do the job.

Because of this, I am considering a 22 WMR cartridge. Additionally, I am also considering the Kel Tec PMR30. Am I on target here (no pun intended), or am I completely off base?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'd love to hear your thoughts. What do you think?

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    We've had a few PMR30's around here and they all have worked great. They are fun to watch someone else shooting them because there is always a big ol' punkin size fireball at the muzzle at every shot.

Nick!

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2017
    DFW
    If you have larger calibers, why use a .22?
    There's lightweight options in larger calibers.

Don't really feel like trying to lug around a Colt 1911 or a G19 in my basketball short pockets. And not sure I want to take shots at Coyotes 10-25 yards with a single stack subcompact G43.

I just don't get the sense any of my current applications will fit this use case. And what the hell... Its a good excuse to buy another gun that the wife won't argue with :roflfunny:

So at the end of the day, I believe I am looking for a longer barrel, lightweight SA pistol with the smallest effective cartridge while still being effective.

But if I need to bump it up to a 9mm, maybe a Glock 48 or a Shield with a 4 inch barrel???

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    It already sounded like you were going to buy a new gun, you didn't mention owning the PMR30.
    Weight difference between a G19 and G48 is minimal, especially if you don't fully load the G19, but the option still exists if the need should arise.

Nick!

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2017
    DFW
    It already sounded like you were going to buy a new gun, you didn't mention owning the PMR30.
    Weight difference between a G19 and G48 is minimal, especially if you don't fully load the G19, but the option still exists if the need should arise.

Well, I don't own a PMR30 yet. I'm not 100% sold on any particular gun, or cartridge.

digger

Curmudgeon
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    West Texas
    Wouldn't a frangible ammo be the better choice for safety in the urban area as described? Never used it myself so this is question. Just thinking about ricochet, and over penetration.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    If you want to shoot coyotes, just shoot coyotes.

As far as “protection” , they are not dangerous to people, and a pet on a leash should be safe as well. Any caliber you carry would be sufficient as the sound of the shot will most likely run them off.

When I have seen them in their environment just yelling “git!” Was enough to send them running.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Encountered coyotes plenty of time and eye lock and a "scram!" nod were always enough and we all went our separate ways unmolested.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    If you want to shoot coyotes, just shoot coyotes.

As far as “protection” , they are not dangerous to people, and a pet on a leash should be safe as well. Any caliber you carry would be sufficient as the sound of the shot will most likely run them off.

When I have seen them in their environment just yelling “git!” Was enough to send them running.
    You know what they say about assumptions?

If they are forward enough to come into your environment your not dealing with typical coyotes.

Also, you dont shoot dogs/coyotes further than arms length away unless your very careful or someone is in serious danger. You start having ricky sheas or accidentally shoot people like we saw recently. That and shooting coyotes pretty far away limits the believability of your danger.

Last edited:

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Be careful shooting at an animal in a suburban environment. Small moving targets are hard to hit and your bullet can kill a person downrange. An Arlington police officer recently killed a woman when he fired at a dog.

Consider other options

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom