• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    I have a pair of Magnum Pro 45 glow engines and one is 'counter-rotating'.

I bought them 30 years ago for something like $40 each and wondered if I could get one to run 'backwards'?

I laid in bed a few nights and took it apart in my mind and decided that to time it correctly, I simply needed to rotate the carb/crank section 90 degrees anticlockwise.

That way the slot in the crank would time correctly with the piston going in that direction. The problem was that the 'swirl' is not in the correct direction. I then decided that the rear crank blanking plate and the prop drive end would need to be swapped also. The engine 'block' needed to have the prop drive where the back plate was.

The crank case 'swirl' is the same to charge the cylinder in this new configuration.

As far as the piston/crankcase/cylinder is concerned, the engine is still turning in the same direction, ONLY the crankshaft is turning in the opposite direction.

Any glow engine that has a removable carb/prop drive and back plate that has identical 4 bolt mount flanges can be swapped to run 'backwards. (of course the exhaust is on the opposite side)

MagnumPro45CRb.JPG

I am now trying to find a suitable airframe to mount these engines.
    Twin engine aircraft models for Glow Fuel engines are getting hard to find.

The Piper Seneca, Seminole and Navajo Chieftain were fitted with Lycoming IO360 and LIO360 engines. The Beech BE76 Dutchess was fitted with the engines but I have not found plans.

I did find some Piper plans but I really like the Cessna 310 series. The Cessnas were NOT fitted with Counter Rotating Engines but I don't like 'critical-engine' failure.
    The Lockheed Lightning XP38 had engine #2 as counter-rotating but they swapped the engines right-to-left for a more stable gunner platform during production (BOTH engines became 'critical').
    A twin model with an engine failure could really become a handful.

Electrics seem to almost eliminate the 'engine-out' problem but I like ENGINES, not motors.

I might build a Cessna 310 like SKY KING song bird II (I watched that show when I was a kid) with the counter rotating engines 'just because'.

Has anyone had experience with building a twin glow engine R/C model with counter rotating engines or am I the only crazy guy that thinks this is a good idea???

bob
    DK Firearms

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I’m sure someone has done it, but it’s beyond my abilities. I have a hard enough time keeping a single engine running for a full flight, lol.

Still prefer them to electrics though. Just something about hearing the engine run instead of a motor whine makes the extra trouble worth while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom