Join TexasGunTalk

Coronavirus Epidemic

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by gdr_11, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Kar98

Kar98 TGT Addict

Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    So I finished the book, and here are the pages talking about the virus. Pretty much the exact opposite of Covid19:

Attached Files:

2. F350-6

F350-6 TGT Addict Lifetime Member

May 25, 2009
    The articles I've read have said, mostly. One even implied there were common areas they would all pass through or congregate in. If the virus is able to live on a surface for a particular amount of time, or if they occasionally spent time with one another, that's the reason I asked.

I'm not. I was curios about their plumbing conditions. I read an article with a photo of the plumbing in question. They do things different there, but use the same materials. The vent pipe there was disconnected inside the living space. Ours are hidden inside the walls. But both of them, (even on the USAF base) vent out through the roof of the building.

Do a quick google search and you'll see the scientific community has been discussing the likelihood that this also spreads via the fecal route for a week or so now. Nothing I've seen so far indicates how far it can spread like this, but if it does move this way, what happens when it floats out through the vent pipe in the roof of the USAF building (or any other building for that matter)?

From what I've read their quarantine seems a bit more restrictive. Confined to their rooms and not supposed to get within 15' of anyone else on another balcony. Usually a bug gets loose on a ship and a lot of folks get sick, but they seem to have locked things down pretty tight here.

Again, I'm not preaching doomsday here. 60k folks in a town of 11 million is still a very small percentage. The death toll is a tiny percentage too. But I do find it very interesting to watch what the official recommendations are on how to protect yourself vs. how the virus actually spreads.

The initial "official" response was, you don't need a surgical mask, just wash your hands.

toddnjoyce likes this.
  3. kbaxter60

kbaxter60 Hill Country State of Mind

Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
  4. F350-6

May 25, 2009
    That says they expect it to become seasonal like the flu. This is just one type of coronavirus, many of which have been around for a long, long time. They aren't a constant threat to us each year. Neither is SARS, MERS, Birf Flu, etc.

Do I expect cases in the US to spread? Yes. But by all accounts, it seems less contagious than the measles. And we've had plenty of measles outbreaks the last couple of years.

5. toddnjoyce

toddnjoyce TGT Addict

Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I hear you. Most fecal transmissible diseases I’m aware of are fecal-oral, though flushing a toilet can generate bio-aerosols. Simply closing the lid is very effective at reducing that risk.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4692156/

As for escaping via the vent, I just don’t know that much about the hydraulic action of sewage. This experiment suggests if the P- or U-traps are empty, then it can occur.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5302810/#!po=1.13636

CyberWolf and no2gates like this.
  6. HKShooter65

HKShooter65 TGT Addict

COVID-19 has a 2.5% mortality.
    Simply spread airway to airway like cold or flu.
    Like in line at HEB.

Just does nasty things to one's lungs.

Yikes.
    Uncontainable in all likelihood.

7. HKShooter65

HKShooter65 TGT Addict

Were we so fortunate!

Influenza virus kills about 1 out of 6,500 infected.
    COVID-19 Coronavirus, in china, kills 1 out of 40.

A routine surgical mask is mostly placebo. Relatively ineffectual.
    Only 10-20% of each breath passes through the mask.
    Most of the volume of your breath follows the lower-resistance path around the fiber barrier.

8. majormadmax

majormadmax Úlfhéðnar

Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Not according to the CDC, but don't let the facts get in the way of a good unnecessary panic and/or hysteria!
    And given all the efforts in the US by quarantining all those coming from the affected areas has resulted in zero cross-contamination or deaths in this country so far, it is highly "containable."

If anything, US agencies should be applauded for their efforts to pro-actively address this epidemic so far!

9. Younggun

Younggun Ginger Avenger TGT Supporter Admin

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    You’re replying to the same person that referred to AOC as “a bright young woman”.

Facts obviously aren’t that important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. F350-6

May 25, 2009
    That study is in regards to transmission to other households via the sewer system, which can happen with empty P traps. The sewer vent going up through the roof vents to the atmosphere and does not contain a P or U trap. So if it can spread this way, it goes up above the roof and either gets carried by the wind or settles on the roof. Luckily roof and surrounding parking lots typically gain a good bit of heat from solar radiation, so that can help to shorten the life of anything that comes out, but I'm no expert on viruses. That's why I'm asking.

So I can get a 20% lower chance of catching the disease, plus it helps tremendously if someone sneezes or coughs in your direction in close proximity.

Heck, the flu shot only reduces the chance of getting the flu by 50% - 60%, but I still get one of those every year. So a surgical mask is a bit less than half as effective as a flu shot. 20% reduction in a 1 in 40 death rate sounds like it's worth the chance to me. If I lived in Wuhan, I'd be wearing one now.

majormadmax and toddnjoyce like this.