• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I introduced my wife to duck eggs. They take baking to a whole other level. Now I wish I could convince her to make it more often. Grandmother always made her cornbread from scratch and it was the only bread at meals. Occasionally she would do hot water cornbread, that is just heavenly.
    MY GRANNY DID A FRIED AND BAKED CORNBREADSHE POURED THE BATTER INTO A PIPING HOT CAST IRON SKILLET THE IT WENT INTO THE OVEN FOR FINAL COOKINGTHAT IS THE METHOD I USE TO MAKE CORNBREAD
    Guns International

Txhighlander

Truth against the world
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 25, 2021
    Atlanta Tx.
    MY GRANNY DID A FRIED AND BAKED CORNBREADSHE POURED THE BATTER INTO A PIPING HOT CAST IRON SKILLET THE IT WENT INTO THE OVEN FOR FINAL COOKINGTHAT IS THE METHOD I USE TO MAKE CORNBREAD
    I remember mine did the same from time to time. It depended on how Granddad wanted his cornbread that meal. One supper a week was just cornbread and buttermilk, I never was able to get use to the taste of buttermilk.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I remember mine did the same from time to time. It depended on how Granddad wanted his cornbread that meal. One supper a week was just cornbread and buttermilk, I never was able to get use to the taste of buttermilk.
    MYGRANDPARENTS HAD A LOT OFCORNBREADWITH BUTTER MILK I COOK WITH BUTTERMILK BUT REFUSE TO DRINK IT!

Txhighlander

Truth against the world
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 25, 2021
    Atlanta Tx.
    MY GRANPARENTS CAME UP THROUGH THE DEPRESSION SO THAT'S PROBABLY WHY THE ATEA LOF PINTO BEANS A CHEAP FORM OF PTOIENFOR A MEALGRANNY MADE PINTO BEANS BUTTER BEANS OR PEAS OF SOME KIND FOR JUST ABOUT EVERY MEALLEFTOVER PINTO BEANS MAKE A PRETTY DANDY START FOR REFRIED BEANS!
    Same as well, always had a garden and canned everything. At least till they couldn't physically work the garden anymore. I miss them both.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Jiffy or Corn-Kits?.....
    I scratch make it when I do it. I won't make it unless I have a supply of bacon grease. Generally I put some Velveta & Rotel queso dip or real cracklins in mine as well.

My scratch made bacon does not produce any drippings & being a widower now I can't see making it unless I have company & a pot of beans.

I have also poured the batter into the waffle iron, making corn waffles that I would laddle a Sour Cream w/ Green chili Chicken casserole on top.

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    I scratch make it when I do it. I won't make it unless I have a supply of bacon grease. Generally I put some Velveta & Rotel queso dip or real cracklins in mine as well.

My scratch made bacon does not produce any drippings & being a widower now I can't see making it unless I have company & a pot of beans.

I have also poured the batter into the waffle iron, making corn waffles that I would laddle a Sour Cream w/ Green chili Chicken casserole on top.
    Add a slab of cream cheese.....

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Either? Both? (you ever make cracked chicken?....recipe is on line....they talk krazy talk about SIX strips of bacon...they meant ONE POUND!...go generous on the cream cheese, too!)

I like it in the corn bread.

Now...fer smashed taters?

Boil up the taters.

Drain..

1/2 block cream cheese. Heavy Cream & BUTTER, a goodly spoonful of sour cream.

Some little bit of onion, generous pinch of chives.

Use mixer to smash taters....(I use stainless steel pan, or for company have stainless bowls of a size)

Serve with butter & gravy (redeye is best)...

Leftovers? I dice up some red onion, and if I have leftover corn? add it too. On a hot skillet "plop" a tablespoon of leftover smashed taters on it.

Give it a minute, then GENTLY flatten it some...(I make three or four at a time)....Flip when brown....Serve with breakfast of choice...ham, bacon, eggs, corned beef....

If a lot of left over? (am also a Widower, left overs crush me).....using wax paper make the patty's up & freeze them....They will keep six months in the freezer.

I'll serve 'em with supper and pork chops or steak.....lunch with hot dogs....sometimes left over ribs (left over ribs don't happen often, here) LOL

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    White bread is obligatory when it comes to BBQ but I know for a fact that places DO have cornbread...you just have to pay extra for it. Terry Black's sells cornbread by the muffin.

Give me some warm cornbread and a few pads of butter and I am a happy man

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    White bread or sourdough for meat. Except ham or hamhocks. Sweet cornbread with lots of butter is exceptable.
    Sweet cornbread for beans.
    Unless sopping up bean juice. Whatever is handy. Because that is desert.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

I have also poured the batter into the waffle iron, making corn waffles that I

would laddle a Sour Cream w/ Green chili Chicken casserole on top.
    <>

Note that the store-bought corn breads always have LOADS of sugar.

We use the recipe from the HEB “Hill Country” brand small yellow cornmeal bags.

I don’t add sugar, but may use 1 or 2 teasp SPLENDA,

Don’t care for cake cornbread. Never use any wheat flour in mine. It is identical to that made by my old farm-Wife Grannie, who was half Cajun & half-German.

leVieux

Top Bottom