• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • John Galt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2020
    Huntsville
    There has been a lot of talk about restoring rights to felons or certain offenses not barring possession. I just happened to run across this old state law. I don't know when it was repealed (superseded by Federal Law?) but it was in effect in 1960.

Art. 489c, V.A.P.C., reads in part:

"Section 1. It shall be unlawful for any person who has been convicted of burglary or robbery, or of a felony involving an act of violence with a firearm under the laws of the United States, or of the State of Texas, or of any other state, and who has served a term in the penitentiary for such conviction, to have in his possession away from the premises upon which he lives any pistol, revolver or any other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person."

"Sec. 2. Anyone violating any of the provisions of this Act shall be guilty of a felony, and upon conviction thereof shall be punished by imprisonment in the penitentiary for not less than one (1) nor more than five (5) years."

"Sec. 4. The penal provisions of this Act shall not apply to any person commissioned as a peace officer, employed as a guard or watchman nor to any person who has not been convicted of a penal offense during the five-year period next immediately following his discharge or release from the penitentiary."

I really like this and think it should be brought back. Notice that it doesn't prohibit long guns, only a firearm capable of being concealed. Got a pistol at the house for protection? No problem as long as you leave it there.
    ARJ Defense ad

Reactions: gll

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I could maybe get behind something like this, but simply serving the time + 5 years passed would need improving upon.
    1) I’d say a gun cannot be used in commission of said felony
    2) an extensive background check would need to be required to show stable income, stable home life, etc. maybe issue an identifier like an LTC, but call it an LTP ( license to possess)

There has to be punishment for crimes, otherwise there is no deterrent. However I do understand that people do make bad choices in life and later regret those choices. Oftentimes, those same people do seek penance and do great things in life. Mark Wahlberg is one who comes to mind.

John Galt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2020
    Huntsville
    I can get where you're coming from. I think most true thugs would have a hard time keeping their nose clean for 5 years after getting out so that should root out the recidivists.

Reactions: gll
    Top Bottom