DK Firearms

converting a 1999 Ford Explorer to a "tank" ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gandalf23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Ft. Worth
    A few years ago my brother in law showed me a craigslist ad for a tank. Turns out it was a homebuilt tank probably made in the 60s. The guy said his daddy told him it was a real WWII tank, and his daddy was not a liar, so he insisted it was a "real WWII tank!" It was clearly not. Anyway, sometime in the 80s it broke down and they left it in a field. At some point the engine and transmission. most of the wheels, and the tracks were removed and disposed of! Then four years ago it was dug up, mounted to a trailer, painted pink and driven around to breast cancer fundraisers. Then after two years of that they decided to sell it. So I bought it. :)

IMG_2686.JPG

There are no nameplates or anything on the tank, and the owner either had no, or was unwilling to share any, photos of the tank when it ran, so I had a hard time figuring out what to put into the space available. Then we had another kid, and well, it became a fun thing in the backyard to play on, but no work has been done on it. I had thought maybe a VW Beetle engine and transmission and convert it to wheels from tracks would be easiest and probably fit into the space at the back.

Then this weekend I was offered a 1999 v6 five door Ford Explorer for basically nothing.

Which got me thinking....which can be dangerous...

I have seen where folks have swapped the bodies on Explorers or Rangers for older Ford pickups, like 40s and 50s models.

What if I strip the explorer down to the frame and build a new body, and then mount the turret I have on that? I can raise it up a bit and put HMMWV tires on it, and I am imagining something like a wheeled Bradley or the Eland 90 or the new French Jaguar armored car.

I have never done anything like this, and it seems rather a lot of work, but it should be doable. I can weld.

I was wondering if anyone knows of anyone who has done something like this?

Specifically building a fake military-ish vehicle but even more generically just building a brand new body on a frame.

I see a lot of body swapping threads in various forums and videos, but have not found any body building ones. But I may be using the wrong terms.

Thanks!

-Mike
    Venture Surplus ad

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gilly
    Top Bottom