• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    What info will the shop need to know? I need to decide what sight I want to install first.

Is there a plus or minus using a stainless slide?

Thanks
    Venture Surplus ad

Austinpilot69

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 9, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Look into Jagerwerks - I’m using them for my G20 RMR cut. I got a steal on Black Friday - $100 for the RMR cut for a holosun + cerakote finish.

As far as info, they typically just want the model of pistol you’re using, what logic and what finish you want done with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Look into Jagerwerks - I’m using them for my G20 RMR cut. I got a steal on Black Friday - $100 for the RMR cut for a holosun + cerakote finish.

As far as info, they typically just want the model of pistol you’re using, what logic and what finish you want done with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I almost went with Jagerwerks, but Battlewerx had a slight faster turnaround time. Less than a month...

Happy with it.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

David S.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2021
    DFW
    What gun do you intend to mill on?
    How up with the times do you like to be?

My preferred general purpose optic is the Holosun 507c or 509T. I like the reticle options and actually prefer the Circle Only reticle. A 25 yards, the circle is about the 8 ring on a B-8 target. Center it and it's fairly simple to keep everything in the black if your fundamentals are good.

If I hadn't direct milled for the RMR/507c already, then I'd transition to the 509T. It's about the same size, but you get the benefits of the closed emitter system. I'm not going to replace my slides and the adapter plates make it too tall, IMO.

I ran the Trijicon RMRs for a while. Meh. They work fine.

Depending on what gun you are milling, you have a couple of options. Most guns can be direct mills for a specific optic. A couple of companies can mill for an adapter plate system that will allow you to upgrade the optic without replacing the slide. The adapter plate system is limited to the most popular guns (Glock, SIG 320 and maybe a couple others).

If I ran a Glock, 320, M&P or FN 509, my first choice would be to send it to Agency Arms for their plate system. It's a bit more expensive, but allows you to switch plates and run what you want.

If you already have a GLOCK MOS or one of the other existing modular optics systems (CZ, SIG, etc), I'd replace the factory plate with a C&H Precision Weapons System plates. I hesitate to recommend their milling service, as I've read a bunch of negative reports, but I have full confidence in their plates.

With direct mill, you want a tight fit and you want to make sure they mill the bosses. Some shops do, some don't. Most of the open emitter optics are attached with screws in the rear. The bosses are little circles or partial circles that go into holes in the front/bottom of the optic to add additional points of contact to keep the optic properly centered up front. Screws alone aren't sufficient, IME. Google something like "RMR optic cut boss" to see what I'm talking about.

Finally, buy a "inch pound" like the Wheeler Fat Wrench or Fix it Sticks and follow the directions of you mill shop. They'll call for something like 15-20 in/lbs, which isn't much. Otherwise, it's easy to over torque and strip the screw holes.

I've had three or four slides milled by Vulcan Machine Works in Plano, TX. I've heard good things about Maple Leaf Firearms here in DFW too. There's several others, including Jagerwerks, mentioned above.

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    Thanks cycleguy2300, David S., I'm getting overloaded here pretty quickly. So many choices to have to make, and I've never even looked through one!

Does Academy carry guns with rmr type sights? That's the only place I can think of close to me to check one out.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Thanks cycleguy2300, David S., I'm getting overloaded here pretty quickly. So many choices to have to make, and I've never even looked through one!

Does Academy carry guns with rmr type sights? That's the only place I can think of close to me to check one out.
    Like many things, take a few days to read and absorb.

Pick a pistol, then the optic, then the machinist.

Like David said, make sure the shop machines in the bosses.

All the top end RDS are good. You really can't pick a bad one IMO.. I have a RMR I bought and mounted onto a G17 without trying anything else. I am VERY happy.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom