My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Main concerns for me:

Reliability

Shootability (can I shoot it well?)

Carryability (will I have it on me when I need it?)

Concealibility (can I conceal it with a good holster?)

Lesser concerns:

Caliber (any service caliber is good, but I'll carry smaller if needed.)

Capacity (Five or more is fine. I carry a spare reload)

Action type (derringers need not apply)

My most carried CCW is my LCR 9mm with a couple of spare moon clips handy. If I believe I need more, I'll go to a M&P Compact 9mm or PT145 with a spare magazine. All three meet my main concerns.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    All great advice. Appreciate it folks. Next step is a new subcompact 9mm.

If you're set on a new subcompact 9mm, I can say that I have come to really like my wife's Sig P365XL -- it's so small I forget about it, but it's got 12 + 1 rounds of 9mm and weighs less than an M&P 2.0, and if it is still comfortable for you or if you carry an extra mag, they make a 15-rd mag for it, too, which is Glock 19-level capacity.

I'm a huge capacity fan because averages don't exist in reality. She carries it with the Sig Armorer trigger job, the Swampfox Sentinel 6moa optic (automatic-on and automatic brightness-adjust are very cool features), and the frame / "grip module" is by Lakeside Gripworks. I use a Tier1 Concealment holster, she made herself a leather purse designed around carrying the P365XL.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2020
    Dripping Speings
    I think if I were worried about feral hogs or other wild animals at night I would want more than a Shield in .45. I would probably be open carrying a Glock 20 in 10 mm. My carry guns go from a KelTec P32 (.32 ACP) loaded with LeHigh Defense rounds as pocket carry to a .380 ACP to a 9mm (multiple models) to a 38 snub to a 45 (multiple models). All depends on situation. Always with a spare mag and for the revolver Bianchi strips. Next purchase will be either a Glock 20 or maybe a Glock 40MOS.
    Yes hogs are a concern. I’d love a 10mm but budget doesn’t allow for it at this time. As the development gets built up, the risk should decrease to the point it’s no longer an issue.
    There will be a 10mm one day, Jaír not yet unfortunately.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Curious, why isn’t round count as big of a consideration? Asking as I’ve heard some argue it’s better to have 10+ round vs 6-7, which makes sense, but I also don’t see myself getting into a fire fight that goes beyond a few shots
    Do you see yourself in a firefight at all? What does that look like?

I have zero idea what a gunfight might look like for me. I know most last only a few rounds, but what about something more crazy?

I would think the second worse scenario would be running out of ammo (first is getting shot!)

I used to carry a Shield 9MM with an 8 round mag plus an extra mag. Now I carry a G43X with a Shield 15 round magazine and a spare OEM mag (10 rounds) in about the same size package.

When hogs are a concern, I load 7-10 rounds of flat nose FMJ 147’s or hardcast after the initial hollow point.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I used to think the 380 was too small for an adequate defensive round. Until I started doing a little homework and watching a few youtube videos.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm not saying I run around with just a 380. I'm usually carrying a Commander size 1911 in 45 and either a 380 LCP II or 9mm P365 in my front pocket as a back up. Sometimes in cargo pants, I primary carry the P365 in the side leg pocket, and the LCP II in my front pocket as backup.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2020
    Dripping Speings
    Do you see yourself in a firefight at all? What does that look like?

I have zero idea what a gunfight might look like for me. I know most last only a few rounds, but what about something more crazy?

I would think the second worse scenario would be running out of ammo (first is getting shot!)

I used to carry a Shield 9MM with an 8 round mag plus an extra mag. Now I carry a G43X with a Shield 15 round magazine and a spare OEM mag (10 rounds) in about the same size package.

When hogs are a concern, I load 7-10 rounds of flat nose FMJ 147’s or hardcast after the initial hollow point.
    Why hard cast after hollow points and not more hollow points?
    Deeper penetration?

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    You Carry a spare mag cause you dont prepare for the avarage self defense encounter, you prepare for everything going wrong. Otherwise load your gun with just 3.57 rounds since on avarage only a few rounds are fired.

You prepare for bad stuff Like a mag or ammo that wont work all of the sudden cause the mag is the weak point of all autos. Even glocks. Or you hit the mag release on accident, not uncommon under stress.

For about 25 years I have carried a Glock 19, or 17 on duty, with 1 or 2 g 17 mags every day.

Before that I carried a Springfield 1911 hi cap with 1 or 2 mags off duty. We were limited to a model 66 with a couple or 3 speed loaders till about 1995.

I have carried daily since I turned 18. Before the Springfield I tried a couple revolvers in 357 and 41 mag.

We carry for the worst possible encounter, half assing it by not carrying a reload seems stupid to me. IMHO.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom