• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    Likewise...Local Power Plant was closed down here last January (along with the coal mine. You know what that does to a town of 4K?)

You cant shut down the power plants then scream that we dont have enough power. (Which seems to be what ERCOT is for)

The King has no clothes on.
    Lynx Defense

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Gee, driving through eastern Co, Ks, Ok, Tx I see most of the wind generators IDLE! They closed the Cedar station few years back, Richmond last year. What do you expect? Water rates on the increase also, been that way for 50 yrs. Processing plants cost going up and Gov. salary increases. Adding about 1 K persons/day in DFW and schools start early so snow and teacher days don't get in the way.
    Could have been the wind was too low. Or in OK, could be they were curtailed (not enough capacity in the OK/SPP grid to take on everything wind turbines can produce when the winds are good).

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Likewise...Local Power Plant was closed down here last January (along with the coal mine. You know what that does to a town of 4K?)

You cant shut down the power plants then scream that we dont have enough power. (Which seems to be what ERCOT is for)

The King has no clothes on.
    We have lost too much base load in the form of thermal generation (coal, gas, etc.). These plants have the ability to produce on demand. Wind and solar cannot. Either the wind is blowing strong/sun is shining or it is not.

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    We have lost too much base load in the form of thermal generation (coal, gas, etc.). These plants have the ability to produce on demand. Wind and solar cannot. Either the wind is blowing strong/sun is shining or it is not.
    Sounds like a fo sho bullshit government deal to me.

Last edited:

Sublime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas
    More Coal Fire plants, less Californians and East Coasters. Griddy sent me an email about conserving btw 1p-7p. I ain't the one they need to talk too.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    Exactly this.

Too bad it takes decades to get one built despite them being proven safe as long as you aren’t a communist country and don’t build them in areas susceptible to massive earthquake and tsunamis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boeing & Lockheed is testing a fusion reactor that can theoretically power 80,000 homes. It’s the size of two refrigerators.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    I don't even run my air con while im at work. I never run it below 78 when I'm home. If I go out. I turn it off.
    We keep ours at 70º all the time. Home or not--it's 70º. Now, if we leave town for greater than three days, we'll modify that up to about 76º, but other than that, the AC is always on and set to where I'm comfortable.

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    I save electricity in the winter to make up for the high bill in the summer. Our house is well insulated and we don’t run the heat unless there’s a risk of pipes bursting.

My wife and I are a little twisted in the winter, we like it cold and then sliding into bed with the heating blanket cranked up.

When it comes to sleeping, if I’m not cool or cold I’m miserable.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I'm no tree hugger, but I sure would love to live on acreage instead of a subdivision, and have a nice big solar panel array with power storage on my property. Something just feels right about not having to rely on others for my comfort.

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    Speaking of bicycles...

I recently rode a friends mountain ebike on a local trail and promptly scared the shit out myself on some unexpected whoopti do’s. It’s torquee and lightning fast on the throttle and can get away from you so fast you’d be locked up, legs sticking straight out, wide eyed with panic in the blink of an eye. Imagine that, on a bucking bronc.

Ebikes are def the future for in town commuting.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    I save electricity in the winter to make up for the high bill in the summer. Our house is well insulated and we don’t run the heat unless there’s a risk of pipes bursting.

My wife and I are a little twisted in the winter, we like it cold and then sliding into bed with the heating blanket cranked up.

When it comes to sleeping, if I’m not cool or cold I’m miserable.
    Gas heat for us, so that's not even an issue. But I pretty much like the same temp in the house whether it's winter or summer.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    birddog,

I was an avid cyclist for many years and twice a helmet saved my life.

If you don't already have one, get one for yer e-biking, please.

Top Bottom