• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    I know this topic comes up periodically but since the various "offerings" which are available have a habit of changing & morphing, thought I'd bring up the topic again for the most current thinking of our collective forum body. (That, AND the fact my coverage is up for renewal in the not distant future).

I'm a GOA member and they just sent an email which was advertising the coverage offered by USCCA. I tend to put a lot of stock in what GOA has to say, as they tend to more closely parallel my mindset (even more so than the NRA & I'm a life member). Also the most recent addition of NRA's 'American Rifleman' had an article on their new offering, "NRA Carry Guard" - which comes across to me, as being more of an insurance policy (albeit, an expensive one). Currently, I have Patroit Legal Protection - which offers a Vet discount (making it less expensive - in relative terms).

I can't do a forum member poll, using TapATalk but I'd sure be interested in knowing what the collective thinks!
    --
    What we need is more unemployed politicians.
    DK Firearms

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    I bet it boils down to

The ones answering will say

1> I love the one I have and it is the best

2>Don't waste your time and money on insurance you will never need. Its Pay up front for something you might never need or just pay when it happens.

3> they are all about the same in the end do your research and pick the best fit.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Shady, you've pretty much summed up my recollections from earlier {past} threads on the topic, as best I recall. Generally, I haven't really gotten a lot out of them but since this "industry" continues to change and mature, I thought I'd throw open the topic once again, to see if I perhaps have missed anything. Sometimes it's interesting to see what emphasis the good folks here, put on things.
    --

sdismukes

Bending nails and making sawdust
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2014
    Erath County
    Saw this on another forum
    https://www.concealedcarry.com/law/s...rams-compared/

There is a substantial difference - the NRA program looks a lot more like AARP offering something, and the USCCA a lot more like a useable product that won't line the coffers of the NRA. What I get is the USCCA program has a lot more available at minute 1 of your aftermath, and will cover a lot more of the circumstances.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I have TLS. I reckon it would be nice to have someone to call at 3am before being questioned by police. Beats asking for a lawyer at that time then needing to pick one out of the Yellow Pages. And for what it's going to cost to get that YP lawyer just to show up that night, I figure it'll take me at least 40 plus years in monthly payments to TLS to equal what I would need for that lawyer, that night.

sdismukes

Bending nails and making sawdust
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2014
    Erath County
    I have TLS. I reckon it would be nice to have someone to call at 3am before being questioned by police. Beats asking for a lawyer at that time then needing to pick one out of the Yellow Pages. And for what it's going to cost to get that YP lawyer just to show up that night, I figure it'll take me at least 40 plus years in monthly payments to TLS to equal what I would need for that lawyer, that night.

Would agree! Figure it'd take $100k to fight a criminal action- cites like Austin got those inclinations and resources.

Would really like to see TLS & USCCA in a side-by-side comparison. Not that I travel out of state a lot, but is TLS nationwide?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    Would agree! Figure it'd take $100k to fight a criminal action- cites like Austin got those inclinations and resources.

Would really like to see TLS & USCCA in a side-by-side comparison. Not that I travel out of state a lot, but is TLS nationwide?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    my LTC instructor said the last/most recent attorney he spoke with, said it was $250k just for a retainer.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    My experience with lawyers AND "retainers" is: ya don't see much of that 'retainer' returned to you even IF everything goes your way and goes smoothly. [Que all the nasty 'lawyer jokes']
    --

Last edited:

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    my LTC instructor said the last/most recent attorney he spoke with, said it was $250k just for a retainer.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

Did your instructor "happen" to recommend a specific provider?
    Is it possible he might get a "kickback" if his students sign up?

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    TLS of course. I'm not sure if he gets a kickback since he didn't mention (that i can remember) any way to reference him, etc.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    I've been to one of the TLS "mini seminars" that was offered last year at various locations around Texas. I'd say that was worth going to, at least once. It was sufficiently "no pressure" as to make it at least informative (if not enjoyable). They sure got a lot of people to sign up. I wasn't one of them but it at least got me thinking about it. It's beginning to look like the USCCA offering isn't too bad - I'm looking into that a little closer....
    --

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    In the highly unlikely event that you need a lawyer due to a shooting, you want an excellent attorney. Way too much is at stake. And the best do not participate in these type plans. They have enough good paying business.

Save your money. Insurance is not always the best option.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    In the highly unlikely event that you need a lawyer due to a shooting, you want an excellent attorney. Way too much is at stake. And the best do not participate in these type plans. They have enough good paying business.

Assuming the posts above are somewhat accurate...

What about folks who don't have access to a quarter million dollars to put an excellent attorney on retainer? What option(s) do they have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

So Edwin Walker isn't an "excellent attorney"?

And how do you suggest I pay for an "excellent attorney" should I need one?

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    After doing what I think was my due diligence, I went with The Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network. They appear to offer what I think would work for me at a reasonable cost. And the cd package included with the membership is very informative.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Assuming the posts above are somewhat accurate...

What about folks who don't have access to a quarter million dollars to put an excellent attorney on retainer? What option(s) do they have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

First, you don't have to have an attorney on retainer. Just engage one in the highly unlikely event you will ever need one.

Second, a good attorney does not cost a quarter million dollars.

What is your freedom worth?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    First, you don't have to have an attorney on retainer. Just engage one in the highly unlikely event you will ever need one.

Second, a good attorney does not cost a quarter million dollars.

What is your freedom worth?

Again, how does one find that attorney, and how does one pay for said attorney. And what makes the attorneys at TLS not meet your definition of "excellent attorney"?

Riteii

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    Hill Country
    FWIW I have had USCCA for the last several years. You can pick your own attorney with them or they will provide one that they have "vented". Granted that I will probably never need the insurance, if an event happened, at least I would have a chance to stay free with the financial backing my insurance would provide.

USCCA publishes a lot of training material. I normally get at least one email per day from them and sometimes 2-3. Their secondary business is selling their training videos. The emails can be a pain, but hitting the delete button is easy.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Again, how does one find that attorney, and how does one pay for said attorney. And what makes the attorneys at TLS not meet your definition of "excellent attorney"?

I am not going to keep beating a dead horse.

If you can't figure out how to find a good professional (attorney or otherwise), either you are really hard up intellectually or you are just trying to be a wiseacre. And whichever is the case, you are beyond my help.

So it will cost more. How does one pay for any emergency? Again, what is your freedom worth? Use a mediocre attorney who can't find enough work on his own merits so he signs up for this network, end up behind bars. Will you wish then that you had done whatever was necessary to hire a top notch attorney?

What top notch attorney is going to join a network where he gets paid peanuts, when he has plenty of business that pays his standard (and admittedly high) rates? Think about that and try to absorb basic realty here. You will find the answer that you seek, grasshopper.

Top Bottom