• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Hello Ladies and Gentlemen. I need some advice. I plan to carry concealed this fall using constitutional carry after getting some training, taking a course or two on the law and buying some insurance. I am not new to firearms, but don't shoot enough and have no knowledge of concealed holsters. I have tried to learn about them, but find I am getting confused about all the options. Could the members please give me and other new potential concealed carriers some lessons about holster selection. Start with the basics such as IWB vs OWB vs ambi, where you wear the holster, belts, materials, features and whatever I am overlooking. I personally am 5'8" and 160#, but was hoping not to have to get a new wardrobe to conceal the firearm. I am retired and wear shorts and a light nylon belt and tee shirt probably at least seven months of the year. I plan to carry a P365xl with a RDS. Thanks in advance.
    If you are going to do this, find a good CHL class and take it. You will get both advice on TX laws and most likely advice on carry options.

Lots of folks have mentioned belts. I dress like you, and these belts are BOTH sturdy AND lightweight. I've got 4 of them (2 leather, two nylon) and have worn them for several years. They look as good today as the day I bought them. They are NOT cheap, but they a a great value, and I MUCH prefer them to a heavy thick leather belt. I've worn them with a Glock 21 with light and they held up beautifully. Barely notice my current Glock 43X on my hip.

Finally, I suggest you begin carrying on your strong side at 3:30-4:00 to get used to it, either OWB or IWB. I prefer OWB myself and carry using a good index holster. I highly recommend https://onyour6designs.com holsters. Made in San Antonio, they are great folks. I know a lot of folks who wear their holsters, and no complaints.

Last edited:

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Definitely a good gun belt. I went with a Crossbreed SuperTuck holster ( pure luck) and then bought a RDR holster when I saw Collin Noir say it was his “ go to” holster. Both holsters have been great and feature first rate Customer Service. People at both Companies could not be nicer and have always helped me with no questions asked and never at any cost to me. My belt is 11 years old from The Belt Man and is still going strong.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    If you don't want to buy new pants and you can wear your shirttail out, go OWB.

You have to choose where you carry. Personal taste. I carry at 3:00-4:00.

The belt is more important than the holster. If you are wearing a light nylon belt, that will likely not work well at all with any holster. Might want to consider a shoulder holster worn under the shirt.

A good steel insert belt is the best.

Holsters also a personal preference. Being old school, I prefer leather.
    Good advice about the belt being more important that the holster.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    If you are going to do this, find a good CHL class and take it. You will get both advice on TX laws and most likely advice on carry options.

Lots of folks have mentioned belts. I dress like you, and these belts are BOTH sturdy AND lightweight. I've got 4 of them (2 leather, two nylon) and have worn them for several years. They look as good today as the day I bought them. They are NOT cheap, but they a a great value, and I MUCH prefer them to a heavy thick leather belt. I've worn them with a Glock 21 with light and they held up beautifully. Barely notice my current Glock 43X on my hip.

Finally, I suggest you begin carrying on your strong side at 3:30-4:00 to get used to it, either OWB or IWB. I prefer OWB myself and carry using a good index holster. I highly recommend https://onyour6designs.com holsters. Made in San Antonio, they are great folks. I know a lot of folks who wear their holsters, and no complaints.

I will endorse the Kore belts featured here. After starting with a Galco leather gun belt (1990s) and moving onto several other types of belts/material designed to carry a gun the Kore belt has been the best. You can read my reviews about the belts (I bought two different types; one for heaver gun, 2d for lighter gun) on the their website.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Hello Ladies and Gentlemen. I need some advice. I plan to carry concealed this fall using constitutional carry after getting some training, taking a course or two on the law and buying some insurance. I am not new to firearms, but don't shoot enough and have no knowledge of concealed holsters. I have tried to learn about them, but find I am getting confused about all the options. Could the members please give me and other new potential concealed carriers some lessons about holster selection. Start with the basics such as IWB vs OWB vs ambi, where you wear the holster, belts, materials, features and whatever I am overlooking. I personally am 5'8" and 160#, but was hoping not to have to get a new wardrobe to conceal the firearm. I am retired and wear shorts and a light nylon belt and tee shirt probably at least seven months of the year. I plan to carry a P365xl with a RDS. Thanks in advance.
    Overall you are getting some good advice and recommendations to help one new to the concealed carry lifestyle. A couple of points not mentioned so far is what to do with the gun when using public restrooms. Here is some bathroom gun control insight from Colion Noir's YouTube channel who is quite the 2A advocate and gun enthusiast.

Another factor affecting gun/accessory choices is going to a place of work, business, facility that doesn't allow by signs and/or screening. What do you do with the gun and stuff? Is is easy to take off/put on in the parking lot if you have to.

One last perspective from The Lucky Gunner YouTube channel; Don't be a Tactical Hobo. When you all geared up come back to this forum and let your audience know what you decided. Carry wise and safely.:usflag:

Attachments

• gun.jpg
      gun.jpg
      5.7 KB · Views: 120

E6InTexas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Houston Area
    You need more sidearms... :)

I have a light carry (PF9) - medium carry (G33) - And a few for heavy carry (G17C or Various 1911s)

Light carry is a small pocket holster to cover the trigger with a frame clip. Minimalist. Super light.

Medium carry is a Galco Walkabout. Very comfy with an extra mag holder built in.

Heavy carry is a larger Walkabout or shoulder holster.

Note: I appendix carry or shoulder holster only. And yes I appendix carry a G17C or Para 14.45 with zero issues - Because I'm a huge sexy beast...

71rpoz20

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2019
    Austin TX
    I spent a fair amount of time reading reviews about gun belts and ended up with a Ciguera Gear Emissary EDC belt. Compared to my first belt from 511 Tactical it's been a very nice improvement because of the stiffness. I wrote a review on their site under Jim S. on 30 Mar 2021 that includes some sizing advice.

https://ciguera.com/emissary-edc-belt/

As for a holster I'm using an Alien Gear IWB at 4:00 for my daily carry S&W 3913 and it's worked fine for me. The instructors where I've done all my training hate hybrid holsters, but I haven't had any issues with mine for the past couple years. I also have a JM Kydex IWB that I use with my training gun (PX4 Storm Compact Carry) and don't have any complaints about the comfort.

Last edited:

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    The link below is to a guy that has made quite a few custom leather holsters, and a gun belt for me. The belt and the BTP holster are worn daily, and have been for at least the last five years. Give him a call and discuss what you think you might need. Easy guy to work with too.

http://www.jeffreycustomleather.com/

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia

I roll my own BUT if I didn't, these would be high on the list. The Pro Series holster is an IWB / AIWB holster that can be used by itself and you can use a variety of belt attachments to suit your needs

The Enigma is not a holster - its a carry system that doesn't depend on your pants belt, and bolts onto most kydex holsters that use Phlster / Raven Concealment's hole patterns. I plan on picking an Enigma up, and might even wind up with a Pro Series holster for my M&P when they become available. The Enigma can be worn under sweat pants, shorts, dress pants, whatever. Might not conceal great if you're wearing Jim Dangle style short shorts, thanks to the leg strap, but who knows. I'm not gonna test that particular combo out :laughing:

You said your going with a P365, and that gun will work with the Pro Series.

Glad you mentioned you're going to get training. SHouldn't be a state mandate, but should be something people do out of a sense of responsibility! Good on you!

You'll probably feel weird for a while when going armed, maybe paranoid about "printing" but that phase will pass. You'll start to feel naked without it if you come to carry 24/7 otherwise.

Chuckles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 4, 2021
    Fort Worth
    Why wouldn’t you want to apply for the LTC? Just curious.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    If you and others are still considering wearing a concealed handgun on your belt here are some thoughts on the subject from Massad Ayoob and Kevin Michalowski. Massad explains the merits and shortcomings of appendix inside the waistband (AIWB), outside the waist band (OWB) and inside the waist band (IWB) holsters. Kevin does the same along with cross-draw holster.

I am sure other forum members can add to the conversations on these holsters along with pocket, ankle and small of the back as alternate places to carry a gun. Off body carry is another topic altogether.

My two cents for this topic are food for thought before investing too much $$$$ in one/two methods on body carry.
    1. As another wrote on this forum, get a large box to put all the holsters, belts, mag pouches etc. you try out but don't work for out for you later.
    2. How and where will you disarm yourself in public areas due to signs or place of work? Taking off a belt holster can be a real pain in pubic. Think trying on new clothes in fitting room.
    3. Assuming you want to conceal the gun on a belt what will be your covering garment during the year; hot summer cold winter. Don't be a Tactical Hobo.
    4. Back to #3. Public restrooms are a form of gun control. Few if any (speaking of men's restrooms) have a place to put gun when dropping trousers. What are you going to do?
    Be safe whatever you and others make in your choices.

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    When I shit (my dick touch the water) sorry had too. When I go in public, the holster/gun just fall into my boxers around my legs. It's literally never been a problem.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

I am going to give some SPECIFIC advice; you don't have to like it, follow it, or even acknowledge it.

Start with a smaller popular gun: S&W J-frame, Ruger 9mm ultra compact, S&W 9mm Shield, etc. If you think those are "too much", get a .380. Remember the "best" gun to start with is the one which is most likely to BE THERE when needed.

Buy two holsters for it to start, one strong-side OWB and one IWB, stay simple at first. Get a GUN BELT from a holster company like GALCO or Bianchi or others. Then, with empty weapon, practice putting holster on & off.

Get instruction and get a "permit". We've all been down that road, staying legal is hard enough WITH a permit.

Practice with your weapon, live fire. ALWAYS carry whenever humanly possible.

You have to start somewhere, spend the money, just don't splurge. You won't be sorry.

leVieux

Last edited:

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    Been making holsters for several years now. All leather, I really dislike plastic. I carry in my own holsters, of course, primarily strong side IWB. IWB cross draws are fairly popular. OWB belt holsters move pretty well, too. The most important thing I've learned since starting to make holsters is EVERYBODY IS DIFFERENT! What works great for one person is an uncomfortable PITA for someone else. The suggestion to get a box for the holsters that don't work for you is 100% dead on.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I've had very good success with this home-rolled holster. Its been as comfortable as any IWB I've ever had, is super stable, and holds my pistol super secure.

az3jgCI.jpg

jxQ7IF8.jpg

OJJvG9Q.jpg

Just got home yesterday from a 75 hour round trip to Provo, which we drove. Very comfortable while seated or standing. I wore it for about 63 of those 75 hours. Not going to lie, I had some irritation from it when I finally got home and got undressed - but I typically don't wear a gun for 32 hours non-stop and even OWB setups get uncomfortable after that long. It disappears under a light button up shirt.

I don't find I need a wedge on this particular setup to aid in concealment - the wing is sufficient. I continue to be very pleased with the DCC monoblock clip.

Your body shape and mileage will vary, but a similar setup can be had from an array of manufacturers. The only clip I would consider at this point are the DCC clips, otherwise give me soft loops.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gilly
    Top Bottom