• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DPMS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    I have read over the prohibited places to conceal carry and there are a few I want to clear up.

1. In NC you could not carry anywhere that charged admission like the movie theater, I do not see that here. So as long as there is no 30-06 sign I can cc in the movies correct?

2. Professional sporting event. I go to the dragstrip quite often but cant decided if its a professional sporting event. I mean no one is getting paid to race but there are drivers who I assume got to events to race for real.

3. At a racetrack. If the above does not cover the drag strip I assume this one does?

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    you are clear at the movie theater that does not have a 30.06 sign

sporting events are more complicated
    as I understand it, High School, College and Professional events are off limits.

Your local drag strip, I would think, should be fine....
    but an NHRA event, where the competitors are 'professional" drivers and get their main income from driving, should be off limits

anyway, concealed, means concealed..right?

Last edited:

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    The suggestion, in my experience, when people say "concealed means concealed" is to not worry about the laws and just carry. That is irresponsible and dangerous.

OP, I wrote this guide for you.......http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/texas-concealed-handgun-chl/25662-overview-texas-gun-laws.html

Racetrack refers to horse and dog tracks.

While the code does not define Professional Sporting Event, convention holds if the participants are not being paid, it is not a professional event.

Read my guide. It's in plain english.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I have read over the prohibited places to conceal carry and there are a few I want to clear up.

1. In NC you could not carry anywhere that charged admission like the movie theater, I do not see that here. So as long as there is no 30-06 sign I can cc in the movies correct?

2. Professional sporting event. I go to the dragstrip quite often but cant decided if its a professional sporting event. I mean no one is getting paid to race but there are drivers who I assume got to events to race for real.

3. At a racetrack. If the above does not cover the drag strip I assume this one does?

I have been paid to race at a dragstrip, after winning an event at least.

And no, it did not involve high heels, lol.....

CARRIMA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    The suggestion, in my experience, when people say "concealed means concealed" is to not worry about the laws and just carry. That is irresponsible and dangerous.

OP, I wrote this guide for you.......http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/texas-concealed-handgun-chl/25662-overview-texas-gun-laws.html

Racetrack refers to horse and dog tracks.

While the code does not define Professional Sporting Event, convention holds if the participants are not being paid, it is not a professional event.

Read my guide. It's in plain english.
    Great stuff! appreciate the info!
    -C.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    What kind of idiotic advice is that? We as CHL licensees have enough to worry about without those (supposedly) in our own ranks advocating breaking the law.

over-react much?

we were talking about the drag strip.

I don't carry anywhere that I know it is prohibitied, but sometimes there are some professional sporting events that can be questionable
    What if its a local circle track and most everyone is a local amature, but they have an exibition race with a NASCAR driver who runs one race.?

In a case like that, I'd go ahead and carry even though there is a professional driver in that event because I don't think it still would be considered "professional"

What if you booked a hotel and drove all night to get there and checked in and are making a trip in to the elevators.you didn't see a 30.06 sign when you first walked in the front, but as you go in the side door on your last trip, you see a valid 30.06 sign.
    Do you go back to your truck and throw your gun under the seat so it can be stolen or just proceed to your room?

Last edited:

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    over-react much?

What if you booked a hotel and drove all night to get there and checked in and are making a trip in to the elevators.you didn't see a 30.06 sign when you first walked in the front, but as you go in the side door on your last trip, you see a valid 30.06 sign.
    Do you go back to your truck and throw your gun under the seat so it can be stolen or just proceed to your room?

As I said in my response to your PM, your statement implied a disregard for the law, and obviously I'm not the only one that saw it that way.

As for overreacting, that's your subjective perception, so it's pointless for me to respond to it.

Now to answer your last question, I don't stay at hotels that are 30.06 posted.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    As I said in my response to your PM, your statement implied a disregard for the law, and obviously I'm not the only one that saw it that way.

As for overreacting, that's your subjective perception, so it's pointless for me to respond to it.

Now to answer your last question, I don't stay at hotels that are 30.06 posted.

that means you woud unpack your room and check out of the hotel and drive to another hotel

smtimelevi

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    San Antonio
    Breaking the law or not there are quite a few location that are prohibited that shouldn't be. Not to mention the confusion with hospitals and churches.

In California it's illegal to have a functional handgun just about anywhere outside your house. Does that make it right?

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    good point. Slavery was legal in this country until the civil war. Was that right because it was legal?

If you are walking by private residence with a big fence and a no tresspassing sign and you see someone in a pool inside the fence struggling in the water and gong under, do you obey the law and just stand there and call 911 or climb the fence and help them?

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Good grief...No, I check ahead before I book a room.

your missing it.

you went there with the impression that there was no 30.06 and you get there, check in and see it later

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Arguing_with_yourself.jpg

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    over-react much?

we were talking about the drag strip.

I don't carry anywhere that I know it is prohibitied, but sometimes there are some professional sporting events that can be questionable
    What if its a local circle track and most everyone is a local amature, but they have an exibition race with a NASCAR driver who runs one race.?

In a case like that, I'd go ahead and carry even though there is a professional driver in that event because I don't think it still would be considered "professional"

See penal code 46.02 to understand why you can have your handgun in your hotel room, regardless of any 30.06 notice.

Any person performing an exhibition is not engaged in a professional sporting event. Your scenario is not a professional event.

Top Bottom