Texas SOT

Competing PSA ARs....which is the better rifle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Absolutely, but we're talking about .5 MOA etc stuff. An AR15 is never going to be sub MOA with the 5.56 cartridge.

I will take my PSA over anything sub 1k. I built my own AR earlier this year pre pandemic for 1200 and yeah, it's lighter, it shoots more accurately, etc, but I also spent 4 times what I spent on a PSA.

Plenty of sub moa 5.56 ar's. Move beyond PSA and they get pretty common
    Capitol Armory ad

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Or maybe I know what I'm talking about. How many PShitAs you ever seen headspaced? Gauged out?

Hell, the two I had were visually and audibly out of spec. No guages needed. The best part of it all was PShitA making me pay $36 to shop back their defective junk. Can't blame them. If they had to pay shipping every time they took back a turd they'd be bankrupt.

The DJ noises this specimen makes are due to the machinery being ran way too fast and leaving grooves all over the raceway of the receiver AND the rails of the BCG. The buffer tube was just as bad. So it wasnt just one bad part. This is after being greased, BTW.

Well let's see... about half a dozen all perfect. Their CHF are just as good as colt or FN. Infact I've had colt ARs that had to go back.

Shit happens and it's not 2005 anymore. They like everyone had the odd assembly issues during the crazy times but most people never encountered one. I'm sure everyone heard about it. I dont buy their cheap shit anyways. I also dont buy the 3 times over priced brand snob rifles either.

If the parts are inspec then the only issue is assembly.

QC issues eventually explode. There are plenty of assemblers out of business because of it. The AR isnt rocket science.

Last edited:

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Well let's see... about half a dozen all perfect. Their CHF are just as good as colt or FN. Infact I've had colt ARs that had to go back.

Shit happens and it's not 2005 anymore. They like everyone had the odd assembly issues during the crazy times but most people never encountered one. I'm sure everyone heard about it. I dont buy their cheap shit anyways. I also dont buy the 3 times over priced brand snob rifles either.

If the parts are inspec then the only issue is assembly.

QC issues eventually explode. There are plenty of assemblers out of business because of it. The AR isnt rocket science.

Who gauged them? What specs are their FN barrels made to?

candcallen

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Who gauged them? What specs are their FN barrels made to?
    Fn barrels are made by FN and the same as fn uses on their M4s. Unless something has changed.

By gage do you mean head space firing pin protrusion or the actual dimensional QC measurements.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Fn barrels are made by FN and the same as fn uses on their M4s. Unless something has changed.

By gage do you mean head space firing pin protrusion or the actual dimensional QC measurements.

I mean everything down to the grip screw threads. Who gauged them?

The barrels FN uses for PSA are most definitely not the same as M4s. Providing M4 barrels to the public would be a violation of FN's non-disclosure agreement with Colt in which they agreed not to release any proprietary TDP info. M4 barrels also only come in one length which PSA doesn't use very much compared to other offerings.

Last edited:

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Plenty of sub moa 5.56 ar's. Move beyond PSA and they get pretty common

Feel free to show up to a reunion and prove me wrong. Unless you're using hand loads I don't see it happening. My AR-15 has a 500 dollar fluted barrel on it and with premium ammo I can get about 1.1 to 1.3 MOA.

Maybe I just suck, but it's likely it's just not possible with the cartridge. Again, feel free to come to our meets and prove me wrong =)

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Feel free to show up to a reunion and prove me wrong. Unless you're using hand loads I don't see it happening. My AR-15 has a 500 dollar fluted barrel on it and with premium ammo I can get about 1.1 to 1.3 MOA.

Maybe I just suck, but it's likely it's just not possible with the cartridge. Again, feel free to come to our meets and prove me wrong =)

First of all, weren't you just a few months ago asking for AR advice in another thread? If not, nevermind.

Second of all, I'm not a sub moa shooter.

You can find plenty of examples of 5.56 shooting sub moa, here is just one (out of very many) examples

https://www.theboxotruth.com/can-a-cheap-ar-15-be-accurate-lots-of-pics/

The AR is a very accurate rifle when put together well, with good parts, and paired with decent ammo.

Just because you are the weak point is of no fault of the rifles. Don't worry, I'm not much better, i just know not to make absolute claims

candcallen

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I mean everything down to the grip screw threads. Who gauged them?

The barrels FN uses for PSA are most definitely not the same as M4s. Providing M4 barrels to the public would be a violation of FN's non-disclosure agreement with Colt in which they agreed not to release any proprietary TDP info. M4 barrels also only come in one length which PSA doesn't use very much compared to other offerings.
    Now you're being retarded.

All barrels from FN are made exactly like their m4 barrels and their SAW barrels.

If it's an M4 profile and length they are exactly the same as they use on gov contract M4s. Your gotcha bs got me on the other lengths, same steel and build process and quality control. Only difference would be length and profile.

There are no patents on the AR held by colt or FN except possibly some variants or alloys. Infact most lower manufacturers use the same basic data/programing packets colt and FN used to make AR receivers back when the had patents.

I'm sure if you're anal enough and had the equipment to map the lowers you could find variances, probably within acceptable QC limits but I'm sure your work would reward your search with a see I told you so. Good for you, I'll send you a cookie I you wish.

If the things are assembled with in spec parts shoot straight and work then you're golden. Your endeavor in snobbish perfection beyond that is almost Howard Hughes like in OCD stupidity IMHO and returns no real return or reward versus effort in the real world. Unless you're selling over priced parts and want to justify their cost.

I've got no problems with people spending that kinda cash on these unicorn ARs. I do take issue with brand snobs who refuse to admit that inspec and serviceable parts or products are some how inferior to a specific brand or extreme gaging process or because these things matter not in the end products performance with the EXCEPTION of possibly extreme accuracy at a level most cant shoot anyways.

In other words 99.9999999% of AR shooters wouldnt be able to perceive a difference.

The AR is a sorted platform. It's not cutting edge new tech requiring what you're proposing to work well and forever.

IMHO OFCOURSE.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Rather than answer the question, you engage in ad hominem. It's obvious you have an extreme emotional attachment to PShitA which blinds you to good information which is critical of them

It's going to take me a long time to unpack the ignorance you posted, but I'll try:

"All barrels from FN are made exactly like their m4 barrels and their SAW barrels."

No they aren't and I already explained why. Please cite your source which proves me wrong.

"There are no patents on the AR held by colt or FN except possibly some variants or alloys. Infact most lower manufacturers use the same basic data/programing packets colt and FN used to make AR receivers back when the had patents."

I already explained this isn't a patent issue but a non-disclosure contract issue. Claiming most mfgrs go by the TDP is absurd and ignorant. It is verifiably not true. Go ask Chad Albrecht which one of us is right. Or do you know more about ARs than him?

"Your endeavor in snobbish perfection beyond that is almost Howard Hughes like in OCD stupidity IMHO and returns no real return or reward versus effort in the real world. Unless you're selling over priced parts and want to justify their cost."

Yes, PShitA's overgassed gas ports, lack of individual HPT/MPI, out of spec parts, walking pins, lack of adherence to torque values, etc are all inconsequential. Who needs a castle nut that is more than hand tight and staked?

I don't engage in snobish perfection, I simply don't buy cheap dogshit. My ARs are all middle-priced and nothing to show off compared to Radian, LMT, Hodge, etc.

"In other words 99.9999999% of AR shooters wouldnt be able to perceive a difference."

Again, absurd. A properly gassed AR properly buffered is definitely noticeable. My 11.5" probably recoils less than a PShitA 16" mid-length and is likely more reliable. PShitA doesn't even ship with H buffers because it saves about $7 and they cut costs everywhere they can.

Your ignorance here is willful and embarassing. This is 2020, bro. Consumer education and standards for ARs is leaving you way behind. Rather than take the position of a good student you choose to double down and make numerous statements which are verifiably wrong.

I'll ask one more time: who gauged your lowers you claim are perfect? Please answer this time.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom