Hurley's Gold

Compass and Map, just fyi in case you forgot your 'device'...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    My biggest concern would be batteries dying or the gps breaking.

Any incentive the government would have for turning the gps capabilities off to harm us would be equally consequential for them.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas

Any incentive the government would have for turning the gps capabilities off to harm us would be equally consequential for them.
    Most units will do gps, glonass and some do Galileo... they can be spoofed, or have their precision intentionally degraded, but no one is going to turn them off and certainly not all at once. And if something happened to cause all three major systems to be shut down like massive nuclear strikes, there are other problems to deal with first

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I still have paper maps from back east and even from when I first moved out west.

I thought that most people who hiked or traveled a lot would still know HOW to read a map and use

I even had some of the STUFF to be donated ALREADY sitting on the front porch. Put out an hour ahead of PICKUP time and I would add more stuff to it,

I have NO clue how they missed it as I saw them drive away. I immediately called the charity and explained it all.

They did come back ASAP TO MY HOUSE after their BOSS called them after I called her back!

They were younger helpers in their 20's and ALL they had to do was LOOK OUTSIDE of their windows instead of their telephone or vehicle fancy/dancy MAP and see ME standing on the front porch WAVING TO THEM and yelling towards their vehicle.

Old Lady Cate

ADDED more.

This visual cracked me up.

:laughing:

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW

Extra batteries for the win.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    Extra batteries for the win.
    Sure. But that doesn’t help you if it’s broke. I suppose you could carry a back up gps as well. But having multiple methods of finding your way is never a bad idea.

I wonder what percentage of people who go out into the wilderness and get lost and need a search party sent for them have a map and compass, or even know how to use them.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Sure. But that doesn’t help you if it’s broke. I suppose you could carry a back up gps as well. But having multiple methods of finding your way is never a bad idea.

I wonder what percentage of people who go out into the wilderness and get lost and need a search party sent for them have a map and compass, or even know how to use them.
    One of the most important pieces of survival gear everyone should carry is their cell phone. Protect it, keep it charged.

The ability to communicate will over come the inability to move or navigate.

"What 3 words" is a great app for giving location to 1st responders. And the vast majority of even "back country" has cell service.

I hope it goes without saying you should know the environment you are operating in and be prepared for contingencies, but that doesn’t mean forgoing tech. Leather mocs can be made or repaired in the field, but I doubt any would take them over a modern hiking boot with lots of non-repairable teck like glued soles and goretex etc.

I like paper maps and compass, I even like navigating cities with just street signs after looking at a map a little while, no GPS or second guesses with paper even.

GPSs are super durable these days. I have a old garmin GPSMAP62 that lives on my dirtbike.... can run off batteries or cradle power. I'd still take my phone and a battery pack over a stand-alone GPS if only for the ability/chance to communicate. The maps on my phone are way better too

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

lordmorgul

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2020
    Parker Co
    So much confirmation bias in this thread:
    1) other people who cannot read maps depend on gps and cannot navigate out of a shoebox therefore I do not need maps
    2) I have maps and can read maps therefore I do not need gos or digital maps

Both are FALSE, and flawed logic.

Statement of fact: If you have maps, and can read maps, and can land navigate, you will still be more prepared for disaster if you have pre-downloaded digital maps!
    l

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    So much confirmation bias in this thread:
    1) other people who cannot read maps depend on gps and cannot navigate out of a shoebox therefore I do not need maps
    2) I have maps and can read maps therefore I do not need gos or digital maps

Both are FALSE, and flawed logic.

Statement of fact: If you have maps, and can read maps, and can land navigate, you will still be more prepared for disaster if you have pre-downloaded digital maps!
    l
    Not that I necessarily disagree with you, but where are you navigating by map in the event of a disaster? Either on foot or by car?

Again not a criticism I'd love to hear the experiment or theorize how those scenarios play out. I'm a bigger fan of "bugging in" but say I have to toss a bag into the truck and drive somewhere without phone GPS. Where am I gonna go that I'm not already somewhat familiar with and need a map for? Road signs are likely to still exist. If I have to vacate my house where am I going on foot (not very far) that I'd need a map for? Or lastly the more likely scenario is if I'm in Parker County (wink wink) and need to get back to Collin County, that'd be a several day hike following the roads assuming they're still there, but am I likely to have relatively detailed maps for wherever I may be from west ft worth to east texas? From south oklahoma to austin? I'd say not likely.

Personally I can't remember the last time I held a paper map let alone even seen one.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

As one who has been navigating over a long lifetime: coastal boating, flying, oceanic flying, etc. since long before modern electronic “aids”, I’m repeatedly astounded by the millennials’ lack of directional awareness.

I’ll say: “Go two blocks to the East”, they admit that they have zero sense of direction.

I’ll say “Well it is early morning, you must know East!”

But they don’t, so I’ll continue: “You know the time of day, the season of the year, and which State you are in now; you must have basic directions!”

But they just don’t. . . . . . .

Yet they see themselves as so “smart” and always “know better” than their PawPaw. . . . . . .

leVieux

<>

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    My kids are always amazed and say I have a built-in GPS when we travel.

lordmorgul

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2020
    Parker Co
    Where am I gonna go that I'm not already somewhat familiar with and need a map for? Road signs are likely to still exist. If I have to vacate my house where am I going on foot (not very far) that I'd need a map for? Or lastly the more likely scenario is if I'm in Parker County (wink wink) and need to get back to Collin County, that'd be a several day hike following the roads assuming they're still there, but am I likely to have relatively detailed maps for wherever I may be from west ft worth to east texas? From south oklahoma to austin? I'd say not likely.

Personally I can't remember the last time I held a paper map let alone even seen one.
    In my opinion, the most likely case is during breakdown of society as seen in Argentina. Infrastructure continued to exist for a short time, weeks, months for some, as it got stolen, damaged or just lacked maintenance. Road signs existed, but in some reports were deliberately changed or manipulated and that is possible; some were destroyed for wood to burn or metal to use for structure repair, but that is much more likely in wartorn areas. Some people had to continue going to work while vast majority of the industries fell apart. For your example, I keep road maps of the entire US, at the highway level, and road maps of the entire state of Texas at surface street level, and digital of both downloaded on multiple devices. The road maps beyond immediate area would really only have value for providing travel directions to others (who want to bug out to family, etc, but have no maps) or for the local streets level beyond my familiarity if travel to barter became necessary (think bicycle range). Getting between several counties on foot would only be a situation of roving infantry and chaos as the risk to get there alone would be too high, randomly crossing paths with unfriendlies. I am bugging in because Texas! Why would you think anywhere else will be better off? But I do want to be able to land navigate my AO if it becomes necessary to move.

Top Bottom