• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SureNot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2020
    Fort Worth
    Just doing a survey here to see if any people would be interested in community emergency prepper groups.

I always felt the need to meet up with others, and get our shit together as a team. Try to be prepared for whatever may come tomorrow. I've been in a few pretty professional groups that had excellent connections with local police, and even the national guard. I learned a ton of bush craft, rifleman basics, and greatly established myself as a prepper. I made some friends for life too.

Right now I'm looking into my local CERT teams. I don't really use social media, so this is where others might want to help me. I don't really care for shit talker groups that pretend to be militias. Never the less I'm absolutely interested to know what's around here.

Edit:
    NRH CERT
    Texas SOT

Last edited:

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    You should move up the American Redoubt with Rawles.
    I have read his books and followed most of his advice.. good information

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    All that community stuff looks pretty good and works out great, until the real shit hits the fan and things go way south of normal.

I don't trust people I don't know, or that have no skin in the game. I trust people that would kill or die for me as much as I would for them. Those are the people you trust with your life and the lives of your loved ones. Not some strangers from your neighborhood that you hook up with once a month to talk about sharing resources.

My community is made up with family, and those related or known to our family for generations, going back to before I was born. Those are the people I trust.

SureNot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2020
    Fort Worth
    You should move up the American Redoubt with Rawles.
    I have read his books and followed most of his advice.. good information

I took a look, and I have some admiration. It reminded me of the documentary called: Urban Danger. I remember seeing it like it was yesterday, because it fucked me up a bit. It's a working thing, but there's no way I'd setup permanently in an area within the blast radius of a yellowstone super volcanic eruption event.

All that community stuff looks pretty good and works out great, until the real shit hits the fan and things go way south of normal.

I don't trust people I don't know, or that have no skin in the game. I trust people that would kill or die for me as much as I would for them. Those are the people you trust with your life and the lives of your loved ones. Not some strangers from your neighborhood that you hook up with once a month to talk about sharing resources.

My community is made up with family, and those related or known to our family for generations, going back to before I was born. Those are the people I trust.

You have to trust someone, eventually sometime, and it doesn't always turn pretty despite the best chances. The first suspect is always the person who is. hmm. If you think I'm talking about sharing resources you got me wrong, and I am not trying to sell you. I hate when people freak out, and start petting their precious. I'm a hardcore introvert. I do not like people, but I'm also a strategy gamer freak. If the shit hits the fan, and nothing is left, I'd like to know at least there's a chance, because I didn't fail to plan.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I took a look, and I have some admiration. It reminded me of the documentary called: Urban Danger. I remember seeing it like it was yesterday, because it fucked me up a bit. It's a working thing, but there's no way I'd setup permanently in an area within the blast radius of a yellowstone super volcanic eruption event.

You have to trust someone, eventually sometime, and it doesn't always turn pretty despite the best chances. The first suspect is always the person who is. hmm. If you think I'm talking about sharing resources you got me wrong, and I am not trying to sell you. I hate when people freak out, and start petting their precious. I'm a hardcore introvert. I do not like people, but I'm also a strategy gamer freak. If the shit hits the fan, and nothing is left, I'd like to know at least there's a chance, because I didn't fail to plan.

No I don't have to trust someone eventually. I don't trust people that I don't know, period.

Too many years of being stabbed in the back has proven that. I could only imagine if it were a SHTF event of getting shafted royally!

If you are comfortable with trusting strangers with your well being, that is entirely your choice to make.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas

Being safe from Yellowstone SV, means just about all of the western US is off limits.

No impending risks, right now really. There is a huge amount of volcanistic history in the West, even in Austin, TX there is a small extinct volcano named Pilot Knob. There is a line of them along the Balcones Fault.

You can't be safe from everything...

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Being safe from Yellowstone SV, means just about all of the western US is off limits.

No impending risks, right now really. There is a huge amount of volcanistic history in the West, even in Austin, TX there is a small extinct volcano named Pilot Knob. There is a line of them along the Balcones Fault.

You can't be safe from everything...

IIRC, a super eruption from Yellowstone could reach as far as Central America.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    IIRC, a super eruption from Yellowstone could reach as far as Central America.
    This is just prior ash deposits, but still indicative of what we could expect if it ever woke up.
    1cc929e74f9a1cef4cfb5d0397ca03d6.jpg

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    The problem with all this planning is eventually you run out of whatever. If it truly is a SHTF it will most likely last a while. So how much food do you need? How much fuel? How much Ammo? When the big one hits, we are all f**cked, the hordes from the city will eventually find you. Not tha tI have an answer but it will be a hard road.

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    The problem with all this planning is eventually you run out of whatever. If it truly is a SHTF it will most likely last a while. So how much food do you need? How much fuel? How much Ammo? When the big one hits, we are all f**cked, the hordes from the city will eventually find you. Not tha tI have an answer but it will be a hard road.
    I'd sure rather start off with half of what I'll eventually need than none. At least you'd have a 50/50 chance rather than 0.
    The old proverb says that "the horse is prepared for the day of battle, but safety is of the Lord"
    Gotta train, be prepared. As a well-known general said: "Duty is ours, Consequences are God's."

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    For me prepping is a lot like backbacking. I take what I need and a little of what I want. I can't pack everything and if you try, you are so encumbered it defeats the purpose.

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    Just doing a survey here to see if any people would be interested in community emergency prepper groups.

Getting involved in your local CERT team is often a good idea. It's a very local thing, so if you live in, e.g., Sheila Jackson's district, it's probably a weekly lecture on how white people are evil, but in my neighborhood, it's all about learning first aid, CPR, SaR, comms, etc.

Prepping is very important, but because we humans are terrible at estimating risk we see people who go off the rails in their preps. A person who has 100k rounds of ammo but doesn't know how to operate a fire extinguisher is probably a good example of someone who has strayed from the optimal path in their preps.

The great things about CERT training (at least, the training we do at my local) are that it covers the most likely things we might face, and it plugs you into a network you might need if the SHTF, and that's where, imo, we are wise to concentrate our efforts. Statistically speaking, the most likely "disaster" for which any American should prepare is a simple house fire. No, it's not as exciting as battling the zombie apocalypse, but facts don't care about our feelings.

And after a house fire, the most likely events are weather-related. Storms, fires, hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, floods, etc. Being prepared for these events as well as a simple house fire covers 99.9% of the probability of all SHTF scenarios that an American is likely to face. CERT training addresses these issues and gives you a framework so you can help yourself in these events, and you can help others as well, should you choose to do so. You'll know where the govt is operating if you encounter someone who needs help from that direction, and it is also good if you want to avoid the government. There are times when a broad network is better -- as an obvious example, if a family member was lost in a storm, the more people searching grids the better.

There is no need to let strangers into your inner circle, nobody (at least, nobody at my local branch) is trying to sneak behind your guard, you can receive training only, and be completely independent from the CERT team if that's what you feel is best. Remember, every citizen who is well-trained and self-sufficient is 1 fewer citizen that needs to be bailed out (at great expense) by the .gov after the SHTF, so it is to the govs benefit to have you well-trained and self-sufficient.

Once you've got the basics, then of course you'll want to make additions / changes based on what you feel is appropriate for your own situation and your own evaluation of the totality of circumstances.

Top Bottom