Join TexasGunTalk

Combat Rifle Rd

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by Ole Cowboy, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Ole Cowboy

Ole Cowboy TGT Addict

May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Todd, just not seeing that. Infantry is going in another direction. I served in both straight leg and mech infantry, the days of driving up to the base of Hamburger hill with every vehicle online are not to be.

https://www.defenseone.com/technolo...9.18.19&utm_term=Editorial - Early Bird Brief

2. toddnjoyce

toddnjoyce TGT Addict

Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    That exoskeleton sales pitch was around for my entire military career. If it makes it to fruition, countering it with any of today’s ammunition is going to be a bitch.

And that’s important because we have to assume if we have the tech, the enemy does to.

Ole Cowboy likes this.
  3. zackmars

zackmars Well-Known

Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Energy is measurable, but its not the only factor in what makes a round good for fighting

Once again, there is no such thing as knockdown power

4. zackmars

zackmars Well-Known

Nov 4, 2015
    Texas

That reads like one of those old popular science articles talking about how tanks of the future will be rolling balls bristling with MG's

a3d4c51c1db4840158026ae50d17fe3d.jpg

A new rifle in a caliber like .243wsm, you're going to need a big improvement to material science so you don't need to haul a few extra spare barrels.

You seem to have this idea that the rifle is super important, more important that what it really is. Obviously a good rifle is important, but your thought process is the exact same that got us the trash pile M14 instead of the FAL or AR10

5. Ole Cowboy

Ole Cowboy TGT Addict

May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Yes it's been around but only recently have we had the added requirement of DIVISERITY (aka women). That is what is driving this train and you can expect it to happen.

Yes, we can expect them to have it not because they developed it, but because they prob stole it...

toddnjoyce likes this.
  6. vmax

vmax TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Apr 15, 2013
    Me thinks that OP doesnt want to hear any other opinions,..what he wants to hear is his opinion coming out of our mouth.
    Everyone knows someone like this

andre3k, TheMailMan and smittyb like this.
  7. Younggun

Younggun Ginger Avenger TGT Supporter Admin

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    On a battle field if I were handed a rifle chambered in .243 WSM I would be pissed and want to know what gov lacky decided it was better than a .308 or 6.5CM.

I love the .243 Win round, but it isn’t a battlefield round and neither is the WSM version.

As for the rifle to fire it, “ounces are pounds and pounds are painful” comes to mind.

I’ve never driven down Combat Rifle Rd. But I did serve in Iraq.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toddnjoyce, zackmars and smittyb like this.
  8. zackmars

zackmars Well-Known

Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
  9. Ole Cowboy

Ole Cowboy TGT Addict

May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Now that is comical, certainly not how I led and to regurgitate my thoughts would get you dropped from the inner circle of those I depended upon to offer up a contrary voice. It is because I believe no one is 100% wrong in their outlook, but if we can gather all the views and then forge them into a coherent solution we can move forward. Worked very well for me in my careers...

toddnjoyce likes this.
  10. Younggun

Younggun Ginger Avenger TGT Supporter Admin

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Another point I forgot to make earlier.

.243 WSM is gonna lose most of its advantages when fired from a 14-16” barrel. Who wants to lug around a combat rifle with a 26-28” barrel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

easy rider, toddnjoyce and zackmars like this.