Join TexasGunTalk

Combat Rifle Rd

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by Ole Cowboy, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Ole Cowboy

Ole Cowboy TGT Addict

May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Good friend of mine and a guy who used to work for me who sat on the Army Board. We have LOTS of discussions as he is a gun guy and I have known is well since the early 80's.

I am a proponent of the COTS .243 WSM for a combat rifle rd.

I also think the .243 is the most overlooked rd there is especially since its dropped as many deer in Texas as the 30-30.

Join in and les banter this around...

In about an hour I am heading to Dallas on business but will try to keep in the loop...

2. TheMailMan

TheMailMan Well-Known

Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    The .243 WSM would greatly impact magazine capacity due to the diameter of the cartridge.

Also it doesn't fulfill the wish list that the Army is currently seeking. However misguided that wish list may be.

The .243 would require a longer receiver and magazine.

The mistake that the 5.56x45 is has been with us way too long. If we could get the Army to give us a better wish list instead of reaching for the clouds we could settle on a cartridge.

I don't think the 6.8 composite is the cartridge that the Army is going to need going forward. Big Army is always planning on fighting the last war. The chances that our next big conflict will be in a terrain like the 'stan are remote. Yet, Big Army is hellbent on finally delivering a cartridge that will work in the 'stan.

3. zackmars

zackmars Active Member

Nov 4, 2015
    galveston county
    People aren't deer.

The idea of ballistics overmatch is fundamentally flawed, it ignores the fact other factors play major roles, roles that are often far more important than having a cool new caliber.

While 5.56 isn't perfect, it does a great job when it comes down to it. Low recoil, flat shooting, wide variety of loadings, high velocity, decent barrel life, good capacity.

Whats the barrel life on a .243 wsm? Now consider that in a select fire rifle. Regular .243 is already a barrel burner, but i don't know how WSM compares

TheMailMan likes this.
  4. diesel1959

diesel1959 por vida Lifetime Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    I'm one who believes in horses for courses. No one rifle or rifle cartridge solves every problem. There are times that "overmatch" actually does matter, and there ought to be the ability to selectively equip troops so-engaged with the proper tool for that job. For the most part, there's nothing wrong with 5.56x45 for standard work.

We have selected units (or parts of units) trained for particular roles. There is no reason not to have selected weapons for selected roles too.

toddnjoyce likes this.
  5. V-Tach

V-Tach TGT Addict Forum Sponsor

Sep 30, 2012
    Rockport
    Duh....I thought this was about a road...Combat Rifle Road.........

It has a nice ring to it.............

rmantoo, Southpaw, Bozz10mm and 5 others like this.
  6. Ole Cowboy

Ole Cowboy TGT Addict

May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Good input...will address when I can get off fone and get better internet...

7. Charlie

Charlie TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    I've got a friend that thinks the 6.5 Creedmore is the best round in a while. I've never shot it but he says it's fast, less recoil, and very accurate.

8. zackmars

zackmars Active Member

Nov 4, 2015
    galveston county
    Compared to .308, 6.5cm makes a ton of sense in an infantry role.

.308 was a compromise that tried to be a universal cartidge. It failed at that, but it wasn't a horrible round, but it seems like a 5.56 and 6.5 split with say, .300 WM/.338 lapua and .50 bmg for other uses makes a lot more sense than just 5.56/.308 and .308/.50bmg

9. diesel1959

diesel1959 por vida Lifetime Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    I think 6.5CM burns barrels a bit too fast, but that could be BS too.

I'm one who likes the 5.56 and the 6.8SPC. Both can work well from the legacy platform with a mere change in upper and mags. But by all means, I am no expert. I do believe that something between a 6.5mm and a 7mm is the sweet spot for proper overmatch without going to a magnum round.

10. zackmars

zackmars Active Member

Nov 4, 2015
    galveston county
    The problem with getting into overmatch is the idea that avg riflemen should be the ones dealing with snipers or guys with PKM's, ignoring the fact better solutions exist without getting rid of a perfectly serviceable rifle and cartridge.

An ar15 sized rifle will not counter a PKM or Dragunov no matter what you are able to chamber it in. If the PKM or Drag is that much of a problem, SDM's and/or CAS is the answer.

mamboloco likes this.