• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mid Enthusiast

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2022
    Bedford
    Currently building my kit and have been looking for a good combat/utility knife and another knife for bushcraft and survival needs. So far I’m thinking a Glock knife and a Mora Tactical Utility knife. Any other suggestions/recommendations?
    Gun Zone Deals

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    IMG_3835.JPG

Mint 1989 vintage Chris Reeves Jeraboam MK I made in RSA

Overview​

This Jereboam I from Chris Reeve is similar to the Shadow series and was made for special forces use. The entire knife was made from a single solid billet of steel. Black coated blade with false top edge and sawteeth on the spine, .263" Blade Stock 1.414" Blade Depth. Comes with black leather sheath, original box and a reissued birth card. Hardness at between 55 and 57 Rockwell C is not brittle but gives good edge retention along with ease of sharpening. Removable butt cap with storage area in handle. A very nice tactical fixed blade. Excellent condition. Made in South Africa and is #424.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    30-150$ range. Preferably something budget friendly, but I am not opposed to dropping decent coin on a great piece of kit.
    Fixed blade or folder? Lots and lots of options and brands either way you go.

For a bushcraft/survival knife, Personally, I'd lean towards a full-tang fixed blade, simply because of the greater strength over most other knives. But back it up with a good quality medium sized folding knife and possibly even a small hatchet or tomahawk. I would also add some sort of sharpening system to keep the edges touched up as needed.

Last edited:

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I am not a knife expert or anything, but I got recommended boker from someone here a while back when looking for a fixed blade.

I have gotten a couple now, and they are pretty great.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Currently building my kit and have been looking for a good combat/utility knife and another knife for bushcraft and survival needs. So far I’m thinking a Glock knife and a Mora Tactical Utility knife. Any other suggestions/recommendations?

Here’s a suggestion: one knife will fill both needs. Look for a full tang blade. Something like the Ontario 499 is a good example.

Ontario Knife Company 499 Air Force Survival Knife 5" Sawback Blade with False Top Edge and Blood Grooves, Natural Leather Handle and Sheath - 6150 https://a.co/d/4wDh1gw

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Here’s a suggestion: one knife will fill both needs. Look for a full tang blade. Something like the Ontario 499 is a good example.

Ontario Knife Company 499 Air Force Survival Knife 5" Sawback Blade with False Top Edge and Blood Grooves, Natural Leather Handle and Sheath - 6150 https://a.co/d/4wDh1gw

Respectfully disagree. This is a crappy knife.
    The blade is too wide/thick.
    The sawteeth dull easily.
    The blade is a beeotch to sharpen. It’s very hard steel. Especially with the tiny stone that comes with it.
    The mil-spec blade has a thin upswept tip. It will snap off with hard use. The civvie version has a thicker tip. It isn’t sharpened so it can be sold in certain states. If you get this one you’ll have to grind down the bevel on the top edge.
    If you do get one of these cut off the top guard section and grind the blade thickness down some. Correcting the blade chamfer takes a lot of grinding and polishing.
    The sheath is kinda lame too. Flimsy.
    Make or buy one with thicker leather.

Txhighlander

Truth against the world
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 25, 2021
    Atlanta Tx.
    Be careful, this journey to find knives can very easily take you down the rabbit hole. I did that one year, would have been better off investing in headache meds. Most all the name brand knives are good and will serve you well. The Mora brand you mentioned for the money can't be beat. Old friend told me once a long time ago, if it breaks your heart to loose it, break it or leave it in someone you probably paid to much.

Top Bottom