• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    I am not sure if I posted in the right thread but wanted to know if anyone in this forum has experience with Ohio and their views on gun laws? My daughter is attending a National shoot in Marengo, OH and we will be transporting a O/U Beretta 694 12 Gauge and I will be carrying my personal Glock 27.Any info is greatly appreciated.
    Target Sports

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Just got back from Ohio and checked the rules out before travelling. And I avoided Illinois. Do everything you can to avoid going through Memphis, as the main bridge is closed. (Maybe a good time to consider that this particular steel is subject to cracking would be BEFORE you use it to construct a bridge.) Also there's a bunch of construction going on around Cincinnati, including the main bridge, and the alternate bridge is about as wide as a country lane - and they have it covered for painting.

Transport your shotgun in the trunk or otherwise (like in a pickup) so that it can't be accessed by the passengers. (I was told by a local that it's a good idea even if the law now says it doesn't have to be locked. It was that way for so long that many cops are used to it.) Carrying concealed is ok, provided you have a Texas LTC. Remember that in Ohio (only Ohio) you have a duty to inform the LEO that you're carrying if you get stopped for a traffic violation or something. Like every other state, certain municipalities are more touchy about firearms than others. The area you're going to is rural and firearm friendly. To the east or northeast of there is Amish country and there are some really good places to eat.

What I noticed along the trip was that in all 5 states, TX, AR, TN, KY, and OH, I saw TRUMP signs and flags everywhere. There are some really good people who are totally ignored by the media all over this land.

Also, COVID restrictions have just been lifted in some of these states, so businesses are just getting opened again. You'll still see MASK REQUIRED signs, but they just haven't gotten around to taking them down yet. No business required me to wear one. On my way up, the Waffle House in Forrest City AR was closed because they couldn't get enough workers. A week later, it was opened and they had about 20 people in there training. They're all behind Texas, but nothing new there.

In case you're interested, Jackson TN is approx. the 1/2 way point for the trip and not a bad place to spend the night.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    On my way up, the Waffle House in Forrest City AR was closed because they couldn't get enough workers. A week later, it was opened and they had about 20 people in there training. They're all behind Texas, but nothing new there.
    What's a Waffle House without a good brawl? Just a crappy breakfast!

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    Just got back from Ohio and checked the rules out before travelling. And I avoided Illinois. Do everything you can to avoid going through Memphis, as the main bridge is closed. (Maybe a good time to consider that this particular steel is subject to cracking would be BEFORE you use it to construct a bridge.) Also there's a bunch of construction going on around Cincinnati, including the main bridge, and the alternate bridge is about as wide as a country lane - and they have it covered for painting.

Transport your shotgun in the trunk or otherwise (like in a pickup) so that it can't be accessed by the passengers. (I was told by a local that it's a good idea even if the law now says it doesn't have to be locked. It was that way for so long that many cops are used to it.) Carrying concealed is ok, provided you have a Texas LTC. Remember that in Ohio (only Ohio) you have a duty to inform the LEO that you're carrying if you get stopped for a traffic violation or something. Like every other state, certain municipalities are more touchy about firearms than others. The area you're going to is rural and firearm friendly. To the east or northeast of there is Amish country and there are some really good places to eat.

What I noticed along the trip was that in all 5 states, TX, AR, TN, KY, and OH, I saw TRUMP signs and flags everywhere. There are some really good people who are totally ignored by the media all over this land.

Also, COVID restrictions have just been lifted in some of these states, so businesses are just getting opened again. You'll still see MASK REQUIRED signs, but they just haven't gotten around to taking them down yet. No business required me to wear one. On my way up, the Waffle House in Forrest City AR was closed because they couldn't get enough workers. A week later, it was opened and they had about 20 people in there training. They're all behind Texas, but nothing new there.

In case you're interested, Jackson TN is approx. the 1/2 way point for the trip and not a bad place to spend the night.

Thank you very much TexasJack and very useful information. I did hear about the Memphis Bridge and what route did you take to bypass it. We were going to spend the night in Memphis but it depends on how I feel as I drove long distance before non stop from Houston to SF and that trip was 27 hours as we took turns driving. I forgot about Amish Country and I might have to convince the wife about taking a detour after the competition.

moorejames

Large Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2021
    Texas
    If you're in to motorcycles or dirtbikes, get on Rt 3 south of Marengo and take it into Columbus (through Westerville - a nice suburb) and about a mile south of I-270 you'll come to Iron Pony Motorsports. It's their main location and has more moto-related stuff than you can believe.

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    If you're in to motorcycles or dirtbikes, get on Rt 3 south of Marengo and take it into Columbus (through Westerville - a nice suburb) and about a mile south of I-270 you'll come to Iron Pony Motorsports. It's their main location and has more moto-related stuff than you can believe.

Thanks. This sounds interesting.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Forrest City AR or Jackson TN are both better than staying in Nashville or Memphis. Decent hotels, decent prices (nothing's cheap these days), and decent cheap food.

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    Forrest City AR or Jackson TN are both better than staying in Nashville or Memphis. Decent hotels, decent prices (nothing's cheap these days), and decent cheap food.

That is great to know. I wish we have time to visit Graceland but seeing those prices made me say maybe not.

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX

I just talked to some native TN people and they told me to avoid Memphis at all costs and not to stay in the area as the crime is sky high.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    I travel to Cincinnati fairly often. Have flown & driven with the world's finest handgun many times. No issue. CC no issues w/ TX LTC.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Diablo4151
    Top Bottom