Texas SOT

Colt CR6920 Review/hatepost (but not why you might think)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    so i had a beautiful review worked up for this rifle. it would be divided into 4 separate posts TONS of pictures.

then my phone went down. Hard. Goodbye nice review, hello crappy review banged out in less than an hour.

Oh, lost all my pictures too.

The Colt CR6920 is colt's current version of the classic LE6920 rifle. Flat top upper, 16" barrel, gov't profile, you know the drill. its a basic AR15 type rifle. Seen one, seen them all.

However, all the Rugers, the S&W's, PSA's are copies. So how much will it set you back to bear this piece of originality? about 1k. Sometimes you can find them for a few hundred less. I payed (IIRC) 1,006 for mine.

What does that get you? unfortunately I lost pictures of how I received it, but the rifle comes with standard M4 furniture. standard buttstock, standard A2 pistol grip, standard M4 oval handguards. They are all high quality. I have replaced the stock with a VLTOR, and the grip with a magpul k2 the standard safety and charging handle have been drug through a AXTS, sorry, Radian catalog. the standard USGI trigger got replaced with a LaRue MBT-2S. From what i remember, pull weight on the stock trigger was about 5.5lbs. A bit of creep, but a good reset. Honestly one of the better new USGI triggers I've shot.
    IMG_20220119_233310_1.jpg

people will complain about the new markings. to a point, i understand. not having my rifle say "M4 Carbine" is pretty lame. however, almost everything (save the trigger, barrel, and buttstock are colt. the stock was made by p&s, the barrel is made by Roscoe, and the trigger is made by shcmidt. the old 'c' mark is gone, but in it's place is Colt's CAGE code.
    IMG_20220119_233444_1.jpg
    IMG_20220119_233620_1.jpg

the lower now has selector stops, and features Colt Defense markings. kinda neat.
    Point Blur_Jan192022_234302.jpg

shooting. I am SUPER PISSED i lost my photos. i did a nice accuracy test involving a 10x optic, and about 12 different precision loadings.

with good ammo and good optic, group size hovers around an inch at 100 yards.

in its typical configuration, (3.5x acog) i typically get about 2" at 100 with good ammo, M193 and M855 do about the same, though occasionally they put out a larger group.

I have about 600 rounds through this rifle, including a few mags of steel case, and have had no issues.

the CR6920 isn't the cheapest "KISS" AR, but it stands above similar Rugers or S&W's

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    As always I enjoy your postings Zack. Sucks about the pics.

For oldage and others, allow me to interject:

I had one. Traded it for a scorpion evo pistol. It’s just a brand. Everything on a Colt is right. I’m not one to care about markings or how collectible it will be. Not something like an ar15. I care that it’s in spec. I’m forgiving on anodizing difference but in spec I want all parts and machining operations to be in spec. I’m also leaving out gas key staking in this example because it doesn’t take much staking and never had one come loose.

Essentially a Colt is no better or worse than a dpms or stag. My two go two manufacturers have been Colt and stag for parts I want in spec without question. How is a Colt better? Literally just a better staked end plate but you can correct that at home with the right tools. So...a nothing burger.

These colts shoot no better or worse than a stag model 1...I dare say my dpms groups better with a hot barrel than both.

Let’s talk Ruger...I like Ruger but they are a gamble. My mpr can’t go back to ruger as I rebuilt it with stag parts to make it right. It was terrible out of the box. Why not send it back when I got it? Cause I didn’t want them replacing crap parts with crap parts.

Some like bushmaster and windham I suspect use Chinese parts like delta rings and charging handles as I was in contact, in person, with an individual to see the difference in parts and I can show any of you.

It’s not too bad of a price but if I see a dpms or stag for a few hundred less, no one will get a lesser quality rifle.

I was in manufacturing and witnessed a lot of things and met a lot of people. Some stuff I can’t share online. Colt is gtg. But just keep in mind I inspected rifles that are half the price that checked out. Is said cheap brands as consistently good as Colt? Nah. A Colt will get you consistent in spec rifles.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    What makes it better?
    I have seen many cheaper ones fail, broken parts, malfunctions.

Colts also are very accurate. With good glass, and halfway decent ammo both this 6920 and my colt a4 upper are capable of 1 moa 10 shot groups.

The furniture that comes on colt rifles is also noticably higher quality than other brands

Reactions: MTA

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I have seen many cheaper ones fail, broken parts, malfunctions.

Colts also are very accurate. With good glass, and halfway decent ammo both this 6920 and my colt a4 upper are capable of 1 moa 10 shot groups.

The furniture that comes on colt rifles is also noticably higher quality than other brands
    Interesting. I am also skeptical of some of the super cheap AR's.

I have been impressed with the Ruger AR10 (SR762). Good materials and quality. Ruger did have some problems in the initial production run, but they provided replacement rifles to those affected and threw in some spare mags, etc. with the replacements. Accurate and smooth shooting.

I have been unimpressed with Colt quality for some time now. But I have not looked at any of their recent production, so that may have improved as of late.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Only 3 rounds, but after i saw this group and got exited i knew my next shot would be a flyer.

Both rifles had TA-11's, the LaRue had a tranquilo suppressor on it.
    Point Blur_Jan282022_172935.jpg

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I purchased my LE6920 in 2013. It was accurate and well built but my other AR15s have done just as well, for a few hundred dollars less.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I purchased my LE6920 in 2013. It was accurate and well built but my other AR15s have done just as well, for a few hundred dollars less.

For a 1/7 twist chrome lined barrel with a non free floated handguard shooting M193 at 100 yards with a 3.5X...

There's not a budget rifle with similar feature set that I've seen that performs as well.

This rifle shoots better than my LaRue

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom