Venture Surplus ad

Colt Competition AR - Anybody know about them?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldscot3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    central texas
    I have a Colt Comp AR, built a few years ago, from what I can learn from net research they were built in Texas but went out of business after the Obama regime ended and AR prices plummetted.

Mine is a darn fine shooter, very accurate, but I've never been crazy about the forearm. It's a bit bit dated; just a round aluminum tube with slots. It's fine for bench shooting but not particularly comfy imo.

So I decided to change it and ordered an Aero Atlas. I started to disassemble, and DANG IT! The muzzle brake appears to be plug welded in place. Neither the gas block nor the barrel nut will pass over it.

Am I going to have to take a grinder to it and destroy it to get it off? Why the heck would they do that? Anybody have one and can confirm?
    Target Sports

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    The muzzle brake appears to be plug welded in place. Neither the gas block nor the barrel nut will pass over it.

Am I going to have to take a grinder to it......
    Sounds like a 14.5 barrel. Brake has to be welded to get it to 16. Ive never dealt with it but I would use a Dremel with the thinnnnn cutting disk. Make a grind cut for a new weld because it will HAVE to be re-welded to get you legal.

Zack may have some ideas...

oldscot3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    central texas
    Sounds like a 14.5 barrel. Brake has to be welded to get it to 16. Ive never dealt with it but I would use a Dremel with the thinnnnn cutting disk. Make a grind cut for a new weld because it will HAVE to be re-welded to get you legal.

Zack may have some ideas...

16"(why it made no sense) but done deal... albeit with a ruined muzzle brake. I used a thin cutoff wheel as suggested and cut about 1/16" into the weld. The weld disappeared and that left me puzzled. So I moved it to a bigger vise, used a thick strap of leather and clamped it firmly. I put a 20" jack handle bar through one port and it came right off.
    There were shims but they were hidden by a step in the brake. Had I been able to see them I would have guessed it wasn't welded to the barrel before I ground it.
    Oh well, no huge loss and I have it all back together with the new forearm and a birdcage flash hider.

oldscot3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    central texas
    Here's what I took off. handguard1.jpg

Attachments

• handguard1.jpg
      handguard1.jpg
      499 KB · Views: 191

oldscot3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    central texas
    Just joking with Charlie... I'll keep it. Functionally it's fine as is; cosmetically a little weld and filing can fix the grinder ditch.

Or a hack like me could use J B weld:)

lastnline75

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    US
    I ran across these Colt Comp upper and lower kits tucked away in a gunshop last year. Picked one up an put it together for my wife. Shes scary accurate with hers.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom