• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Remember if you like fishing, there are lots of chemical plants along the coast. And there are also lots of refineries in the corpus area.
    Hurley's Gold

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    I looked around on monster jobs. There is an opening for a flavor chemist in Austin, but im not sure it's legit. The salary says $95,0000-$110,000 and they only require a bachelor's degree. It just seems unrealistic to me.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Just get your butt down to the recruiter and see what you can do for your Country.

It's a great way to get a start on life.

Four years active duty, another four in the Reserves. If you stay in as a reservist, you'll get a pension.

Only 1/2 of 1% serve.

Good luck in Obama's civilian economy.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    Le sigh. I may have to now. It'll be a while before I make any decision of that caliber anytime soon, but by May I need to get this stuff sorted out. I got some bad news today about the most promising(I thought) job opportunity I had: they're on a hiring freeze till september-november, and I graduate in August.

So Houston is looking better and better.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    Here is what I've found so far, (keep in mind I haven't actually applied to any of these jobs, I'm not well versed on this whole career finding process, but I think if I'm graduating in August - submitting a resume now might be a little too early) there is truly a lot out there. I've searched monster.com and google with different keywords thousands of times, and there is quite a bit for me to do. I'm feeling a bit better about this, but regardless, I'm not getting my hopes up until it happens though.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    I also wanted to add, thanks to the suggestion to look at careers not necessarily in the "chemical" field, I was able to find that Boeing actually hires people with chemistry degrees. How freaking cool would that be!?

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Just get your butt down to the recruiter and see what you can do for your Country.

It's a great way to get a start on life.

Four years active duty, another four in the Reserves. If you stay in as a reservist, you'll get a pension.

Only 1/2 of 1% serve.

Good luck in Obama's civilian economy.
    lol, don't want to deal with Obama economy just go get a job where he is the Commander n Chief.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    I guess I'll get my resume ready again, and start sending them out! That workintexas website is really nice too, much more organized than some of the others I've seen.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Military is dumping personnel. Iraq war is ending and there are deep budget cuts. No longer a good option.

The U.S. Armed Forces will always have a need for Commissioned Officers, and career Enlistees.

"The Military" does not "dump" personnel: Misguided politicians (Democrats) do.

They have done it time after time, and every time, we paid for those mistakes with blood.

The Armed Forces will continue to recruit high-quality people despite Reductions-in-Force.

Your advice is unwarranted.

stalker19

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Mom's basement
    The U.S. Armed Forces will always have a need for Commissioned Officers, and career Enlistees.

"The Military" does not "dump" personnel: Misguided politicians (Democrats) do.

They have done it time after time, and every time, we paid for those mistakes with blood.

The Armed Forces will continue to recruit high-quality people despite Reductions-in-Force.

Your advice is unwarranted.

Indeed. The military is always looking for quality folks, and they will try hard to retain them long term.

I can't think of many good soldiers that have been booted. PERHAPS a few, but all the ones I've seen dropped were trouble makers, overweight, had been unable to perform their job, etc.

All that is happening now is a tightening of moral and physical standards, how it should have been all along.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    Everything has been moved up on my mental "list". San Antonio is now #1. My opportunities out here in W. Texas have been destroyed so it's time to move on. Houston is closely following San Antonio along with Austin. At this point, it's wherever I can make the most money - that's the place I want to live.

And I've also revamped my workout in case the Armed Forces really becomes a more viable option.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    First off, I realized this title should end in a period, not a question mark - it's misleading.

Just a follow up on this whole situation in case anyone was curious. There are certainly jobs out there. However, they all require experience or I'm overqualified!(and for some positions the pay is not high enough) The hunt continues, and I hope I can find a career by the beginning of August at the latest. I've started looking outside of the chemical industry, and into jobs which may only require a college degree. I've always been business oriented, and can pick things up pretty quick. So we'll see where I end up! Wish me good luck brothers!

Top Bottom