• ...and so much more!
  • deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Put my old Coleman on the front porch and cooked on it when we had no power. I was having trouble with the Coleman fuel system, but I had a propane converter I bought at least 10 years ago that was still in it's package. It worked great, but man that stove goes through a 1 lb can quick! Used my downtime to order a hose so I can connect a larger tank and a new pump. After I ordered, I recalled that I had a pump behind the work bench. Sure enough, I had 2 I bought at some closeout for $1 each. Swapped it out, cleaned the fuel pipe out, and it's back working like new.

I've always said that if you can go camping, you can survive just about anything.

How did you clean the pipe out?
    Capitol Armory ad

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    One of my favorites. Grandfather in law was stationed in Alaska after Korea. He brought this back when returning to the lower 48. US marked and dated 1956. Uses LEADED gasoline.
    coleman2.jpg

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I'm not a big fan of clutter. I don't mind a little clutter but it better be organized clutter.

PinnedandRecessed,

RotflmRao.

Fwiw, my storage building is certainly cluttered BUT I know where everything is in the clutter.
    (IF I ever straightened everything up, I'd have to relearn where all the bits & pieces are.)

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    One of my favorites. Grandfather in law was stationed in Alaska after Korea. He brought this back when returning to the lower 48. US marked and dated 1956. Uses LEADED gasoline.
    View attachment 245596

PinnedandRecessed,

TRUST ME, you do NOT want to know what one of those "MOGAS fueled" Coleman lanterns costs in 2021 & in MINT condition with box/instructions.
    (Hint: in the HUNDREDS.)

IF it was MY Coleman MOGAS lantern, I would NOT even consider using it.

yours, satx

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I think I have one of those, unused, but the box is in worse shape. I need to take a look!

Eli

Eli,

YEP, you certainly DO. = LOOK FOR the instructions, too.
    (FYI, I know of a guy in WV who turned down a CASH offer of 400.oo for an UNUSED/MINT MOGAS Coleman lantern, with box/instructions.)

NOTE: The same WV guy turned down my MODERATELY LARGE cash offer for his Model of 1910 Winchester Auto-loading rifle.

yours, satx

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    How did you clean the pipe out?
    Pretty easy, actually. Put a 3/8" wrench on the tip and unscrew the pipe from the valve assembly. Inside there is a long brass rod that is attached to the valve handle and there is a long spring around it. The spring doesn't function as a spring - it has to do with volatizing the gasoline to the tip. Clean the crud off of those and then spray through the pipe with some brake cleaner or other solvent, use a pipe cleaner if you have one. Reassemble (carefully - it's very easy to cross thread in that brass valve body) and check for leaks.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Pretty easy, actually. Put a 3/8" wrench on the tip and unscrew the pipe from the valve assembly. Inside there is a long brass rod that is attached to the valve handle and there is a long spring around it. The spring doesn't function as a spring - it has to do with volatizing the gasoline to the tip. Clean the crud off of those and then spray through the pipe with some brake cleaner or other solvent, use a pipe cleaner if you have one. Reassemble (carefully - it's very easy to cross thread in that brass valve body) and check for leaks.

Texasjack,

OBVIOUSLY, you are qualified TOO as a COLEMAN STOVE MECHANIC. = CONGRADS.

yours, satx

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Texasjack,

OBVIOUSLY, you are qualified TOO as a COLEMAN STOVE MECHANIC. = CONGRADS.

yours, satx
    LOL! Some guy posted a 4 part video on YouTube and I watched a couple of them. (Some of it wasn't important to me - like repainting parts of it.) It's really kind of cool how much went into the design. I never knew what that bent-rod lever on the fuel valve was for, except that you're supposed to put it up when you light the burner and then switch it down after it heats up. It changes whether the valve takes fuel from the bottom of the tank (liquid) or from the top (vapor). So you're lighting the vapor and then the burner heats up the pipe so it will volatize the liquid fuel when you turn the lever down.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    LOL! Some guy posted a 4 part video on YouTube and I watched a couple of them. (Some of it wasn't important to me - like repainting parts of it.) It's really kind of cool how much went into the design. I never knew what that bent-rod lever on the fuel valve was for, except that you're supposed to put it up when you light the burner and then switch it down after it heats up. It changes whether the valve takes fuel from the bottom of the tank (liquid) or from the top (vapor). So you're lighting the vapor and then the burner heats up the pipe so it will volatize the liquid fuel when you turn the lever down.

Texasjack,

FYI, I just cannot resist telling you a story from my misspent youth:
    (The Devil made me do it.)

A fellow decided to become a skydiver, went to a local FBO, took some lessons & finally was allowed to try his FIRST JUMP.

He pulled the main chute, which tangled.
    He then pulled his reserve chute, which failed to open.

As he streaked back toward Earth, he passed a fellow going the other way.

He yelled, "HEY MISTER, WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT PARACHUTES??"

The other fellow yelled back, "NOTHING. .What do you know about LIGHTING COLEMAN STOVES?"

Fwiw, when I was in college (circa June 1968) & a RANGER for the local BSA Council, I actually SAW a Coleman BLOW UP.
    (Made a right BIG EXPLOSION, too. = THANKFULLY, NOBODY WAS KILLED OR SERIOUSLY INJURED.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014

Texasjack,

FYI, one main reason that I enjoy "messing about with" classic Coleman lanterns & stoves is that I CAN do those repairs/restorations.
    (Fwiw, I am NOT "mechanically inclined" at all BUT those items are REALLY simple machines & rather FUN to refurbish in a couple of Winter hours.)

yours, satx

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I was going to rework my dads old Coleman stove, but when I found the propane adapter I did that instead.

but I’ve reworked several lanterns. Thanks for letting me know about the YouTube stuff. I’ve got a couple I couldn’t get working. I’m sure those videos will fill me in on what’s wrong.

As I get them working I hang them in my man cave.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I was going to rework my dads old Coleman stove, but when I found the propane adapter I did that instead.

but I’ve reworked several lanterns. Thanks for letting me know about the YouTube stuff. I’ve got a couple I couldn’t get working. I’m sure those videos will fill me in on what’s wrong.

As I get them working I hang them in my man cave.

deemus,

As you "get GOOD at repairing" the classic Coleman lanterns & stoves, I suggest that you give them as presents to family & close friends.

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I have enough to do that for sure.

deemus,

I first repaired a pair of lanterns & a stove for our house.
    Then "Little Brother" Ed WISHED that he had some, so I fixed a total of 2 + 1 for him.
    Then "Big Brother" Rick asked why he had NONE, so I fixed 2+1 for his brood.

Altogether, I may have spent 25 bucks "out of pocket", so it's a CHEAP project that makes family & close friends HAPPY.
    (Offhand, I can think of FEW fun to do projects for so little expense.)

I must have disassembled 15-20 pieces of JUNK to make the 3 good stoves & 6 refurbished lanterns.

yours, satx

Mr. Atoz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2021
    Fort Worth
    We lost power for 60 hours. I have a propane stove (Stok brand) so we had hot for and water. I cooked inside with it in front of the fireplace so any fumes were pulled up the chimney and only used it long enough to cook. It was 45* in the house but hot food and lots of blankets helped make things a little more bearable.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    We lost power for 60 hours. I have a propane stove (Stok brand) so we had hot for and water. I cooked inside with it in front of the fireplace so any fumes were pulled up the chimney and only used it long enough to cook. It was 45* in the house but hot food and lots of blankets helped make things a little more bearable.
    Kind of like camping at home, wasn't it?

Top Bottom