Cobra on the loose in Grand Prairie. Not the ford kind.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Truer words have never been spoken.

Some of you might benefit yourselves in starting at the very first page of this thread to start reading.

So far, in this thread, I have been called a hypocrite, afraid of snakes, and ignorant. Sounds like some like to make assumptions that just aren't true.

First accusation. Not once did I say that they should be banned, or that no one should be allowed to own them if they want to. I stated owning venomous snakes was stupid. I stated that if an innocent bystander is bitten, that the person should be held criminally responsible for the damages to that person.

Second, I'm not fearful of snakes. If I happen to happen upon one without seeing it, yes, I do get startled. But I have been startled by deer on my property, or my wife walking in and not hearing her. That isn't fear. I don't even fear venomous snakes, I just have a respect for what they are capable of being able to do to me if bitten. I use power tools that are probably more dangerous to my safety and well being than most venomous snakes, but I respect the tools because to not be respectful of them is just foolish.

I make no claims at being an expert on snakes of any kind, but I am also far from being ignorant as well, as I was accused of being.

Y'all have a nice day, and bless your little hearts.
    Lighten up Francis. I'm sure there will be plenty of things posted today you can get your panties wadded up over besides snakes. May be this just isn't the forum for you and you would feel comfortable somewhere else?
    DK Firearms

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Sir, I have no argument about this subject, nor have I expressed an opinion on it. I have tried to point out the irony of the situation, as did another member here. But it has gone completely over several people’s head. I’ll just sit back and continue to laugh.

Because it’s not ironic. It’s reasonable to treat something inanimate differently than something alive.

Completely different subjects. Calling it irony is just a way to disregard certain comments by implying they are based on unfounded fears instead of laying out an actual reason for the opinions to be incorrect. It’s not going overhead. It’s just not applicable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    LOL
    Perspective is key in life. That's how we learn a lot of new things too.
    Just because somebody is in denial and won't admit to irony (or whatever) doesn't mean it's not there.
    One gotta step back and look at the situation outside the box, not from within their own box while locked in one's prejudices, habits and cushy truths.
    Without proper perspective, a simple argument can go on indefinitely without progress.

Now where's my popcorn? This thread has not run its course yet, not at 9 pages long. :)

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    LOL
    Perspective is key in life. That's how we learn a lot of new things too.
    Just because somebody is in denial and won't admit to irony (or whatever) doesn't mean it's not there.
    One gotta step back and look at the situation outside the box, not from within their own box while locked in one's prejudices, habits and cushy truths.
    Without proper perspective, a simple argument can go on indefinitely without progress.

Now where's my popcorn? This thread has not run its course yet, not at 9 pages long. :)

Which box is that and what prejudices, habits, and cushy truths?

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Well, the cobra sits on the table while having the free will and ability to move by it’s own choice. While a machine gun has no will or ability to do anything but sit there and is no more dangerous than the table it sits on.

For that reason alone it makes sense that someone standing next to that table has far more cause for concern seeing a cobra than a machine gun regardless of political affiliation or view. Would you feel safe with a cobra sitting on the table? Would you feel it needs more supervision than a machine gun or would you be ok going to the bathroom leaving both to their own devices? (Assuming only you were home)

Neither are in any sort of case or cage for this thought experiment.

While saying that snakes and guns are different, to which everyone here agrees, you set up a thought experiment which doesn't take into account how each object is commonly kept.

Venomous snakes are not commonly kept in such a way as to be able to exercise the free agency which you allow the cobra on the coffee table; they are generally, at least minimally contained in something like a lidded aquarium. Given a cobra in a cage vs a machinegun, I would feel reasonably safe in leaving either on the coffee table while I went to the bathroom.

That said, another person might enter the room and give either agency, much to my chagrin... That person could release the cobra, or take the machinegun...

Now, which has the greater power to wreak havoc; should the machinegun be less secured than the cobra? Some would say thay both should be securely locked away, or better, nobody should be allowed to have either.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    While saying that snakes and guns are different, to which everyone here agrees, you set up a thought experiment which doesn't take into account how each object is commonly kept.

Venomous snakes are not commonly kept in such a way as to be able to exercise the free agency which you allow the cobra on the coffee table; they are generally, at least minimally contained in something like a lidded aquarium. Given a cobra in a cage vs a machinegun, I would feel reasonably safe in leaving either on the coffee table while I went to the bathroom.

That said, another person might enter the room and give either agency, much to my chagrin... That person could release the cobra, or take the machinegun...

Now, which has the greater power to wreak havoc; should the machinegun be less secured than the cobra? Some would say thay both should be securely locked away, or better, nobody should be allowed to have either.

True enough. But the snake has the ability to leave of its own accord should the owner accidentally forget to lock the cage/safe.

Again, I’m not against people having either (although I’d only want one in my house), but I think arguing for the side of personal freedom and responsibility requires a different approach.

More from the side of how the animals are obtained, secured, the reason for having them, and the actual risk of one escaping vs the “irony” argument comparing fears, which people have for a very different reason than those who fear guns. Ignoring that difference won’t change anyone’s mind. And I say this as a dedicated snake hater.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    True enough. But the snake has the ability to leave of its own accord should the owner accidentally forget to lock the cage/safe.

Again, I’m not against people having either (although I’d only want one in my house), but I think arguing for the side of personal freedom and responsibility requires a different approach.

More from the side of how the animals are obtained, secured, the reason for having them, and the actual risk of one escaping vs the “irony” argument comparing fears, which people have for a very different reason than those who fear guns. Ignoring that difference won’t change anyone’s mind. And I say this as a dedicated snake hater.

As another dedicated snake hater, now, I need a reason for having one beyond just wanting it?

Oh, the irony...

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    As another dedicated snake hater, now, I need a reason for having one beyond just wanting it?

Oh, the irony...

Everyone has a reason for owning everything.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Should I need to give you, or anybody else, my reason for owning a gun?

That depends. Are you trying to convince them that they’ve formed an opinion based on inaccurate or misleading information? Or do you just want to tell them to shut up and hope they don’t come together as a group to infringe on your rights?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    We take people to the range who are nervous about guns so that they can learn. We explain why they aren’t something to fear and show safe practices, and explain the benefits of ownership (reason). How is this any different (since it apparently will be compared to guns regardless of how little comparison their is in reality)

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    628CECAA-DC8B-41D2-9FC7-1C57D8F7AEA1.gif

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    We take people to the range who are nervous about guns so that they can learn. We explain why they aren’t something to fear and show safe practices, and explain the benefits of ownership (reason). How is this any different (since it apparently will be compared to guns regardless of how little comparison their is in reality)

"how the animals (guns) are obtained, secured, the reason for having them, and the actual risk of one escaping (being stolen)"

sounds just like the concerns of the gun grabbers.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    "how the animals (guns) are obtained, secured, the reason for having them, and the actual risk of one escaping (being stolen)"

sounds just like the concerns of the gun grabbers.

You are working against your own interests apparently. It makes little sense.

Top Bottom