Hurley's Gold

Cobra on the loose in Grand Prairie. Not the ford kind.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    Snakes and guns are a silly comparison because (as it’s been pointed out) a gun won’t slither out of your house to hide under the neighbors bush and bite them when they come out to pull weeds. Also pretty sure than if people owned and kept venomous snakes at the same rate as guns there would be far more snake related injuries than gun related. It’s not a very good defense argument.

That said, I also don’t care too much for nanny states and think Darwin mostly keeps the population of incredibly stupid venomous snake owners in check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It’s not so much that snakes and guns are similar, but yet, the reactions to both, by people that fear one or the other.

The reactions are not only similar, they are indistinguishable. That is the irony that people keep trying to point out, but yet it is missed by many.

A machine gun sitting on a table would send most Democrats into a panic attack. We have now learned that a cobra sitting on the same table will send quite a few here into the same panic attack. Sad, but comical.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    It’s not so much that snakes and guns are similar, but yet, the reactions to both, by people that fear one or the other.

The reactions are not only similar, they are indistinguishable. That is the irony that people keep trying to point out, but yet it is missed by many.

A machine gun sitting on a table would send most Democrats into a panic attack. We have now learned that a cobra sitting on the same table will send quite a few here into the same panic attack. Sad, but comical.

Well, the cobra sits on the table while having the free will and ability to move by it’s own choice. While a machine gun has no will or ability to do anything but sit there and is no more dangerous than the table it sits on.

For that reason alone it makes sense that someone standing next to that table has far more cause for concern seeing a cobra than a machine gun regardless of political affiliation or view. Would you feel safe with a cobra sitting on the table? Would you feel it needs more supervision than a machine gun or would you be ok going to the bathroom leaving both to their own devices? (Assuming only you were home)

Neither are in any sort of case or cage for this thought experiment.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    My “snakes to guns” post wasn’t comparing the two objects! It was comparing the dangers of what could happen when someone who is negligent owns them, and also about the hypocrisy of saying, “I don’t like them so no one should own them!” I really can’t believe I had to explain that!!!! And snakes like guns will not hurt you if you don’t touch them!

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    600BDE73-0674-460A-912E-DC5F5BBE1BB6.jpeg

Y’all need more range time.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    My “snakes to guns” post wasn’t comparing the two objects! It was comparing the dangers of what could happen when someone who is negligent owns them, and also about the hypocrisy of saying, “I don’t like them so no one should own them!” I really can’t believe I had to explain that!!!! And snakes like guns will not hurt you if you don’t touch them!

Still a silly comparison, imo. Animate vs inanimate objects and whatnot.

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    Well, the cobra sits on the table while having the free will and ability to move by it’s own choice. While a machine gun has no will or ability to do anything but sit there and is no more dangerous than the table it sits on.

For that reason alone it makes sense that someone standing next to that table has far more cause for concern seeing a cobra than a machine gun regardless of political affiliation or view. Would you feel safe with a cobra sitting on the table? Would you feel it needs more supervision than a machine gun or would you be ok going to the bathroom leaving both to their own devices? (Assuming only you were home)

Neither are in any sort of case or cage for this thought experiment.

Again, you are trying to compare the snake to the gun. I am not. The comparison lies with the reaction of people that aren’t familiar, or even comfortable around either.

I’m not afraid of the gun or the snake. I understand both of them including the dangers that go with each of them. They are both very dangerous, but in completely different ways.

The point I’m making is, people with irrational fears say the same thing. We have heard most of the arguments of the anti gunners used in this thread, by actual gun people, applied to this snake and his owner.

Irony anyone?

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Hope it isn't pregnant. Think pythons in Florida. We will have to import mongoose.
    Stop snake violence.

Sister lives in Grand Prairie, I let her know.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Again, you are trying to compare the snake to the gun. I am not. The comparison lies with the reaction of people that aren’t familiar, or even comfortable around either.

I’m not afraid of the gun or the snake. I understand both of them including the dangers that go with each of them. They are both very dangerous, but in completely different ways.

The point I’m making is, people with irrational fears say the same thing. We have heard most of the arguments of the anti gunners used in this thread, by actual gun people, applied to this snake and his owner.

Irony anyone?

The comparison of reactions to such different things is silly. Comparing the reaction of a left winger to an inanimate object to some other random person to an animal which has the ability to cause harm via its own free will is is not ironic at all. Except the irony in using such a poor argument against what is supposed to be a poor argument.

By that logic, we can say any argument against anything is no different than what the anti gunners say. “Men should be allowed in women’s restrooms. You aren’t educated on it and don’t understand. You sound just like those who say guns are dangerous. You have an irrational fear of chicks with dicks”

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Um... While I somewhat agree with you I have to play the devil's advocate here Mr. Axxe55... I say this only because I don't own snakes of any kind nor will my wife ever let me bring one in the house.

Look at it this way, simply replace the noun "venomous snakes" with "firearms", and look how it sounds ^^^...
    The statement now sounds like every anti-gunner in this country, doesn't it?

With all dangerous things, accidents can happen. I believe the owner should be held accountable that the darn snake got loose, just like WE are held accountable for safely storing our firearms by keeping them away from children and locked away safely so that they cannot be stolen and used in a crime.

Hopefully, they find it alive and return it to the owner; but it would be a tragedy if someone got bitten or worse yet killed.

where is this law about keeping guns under lock and key ?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I have seen the light, I shall now lobby my politicians for “Common sense, scary things, control”, think of the children!

Hey @Moonpie, wanna go shoot guns? I’ll bring my HK and a snake stick.

Lmao, I never even said they should be banned. Opposite in fact.

I just said you were making poor arguments. If you really saw the light, you would make better points to support your opinion.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    46.13 to keep guns secure from children. No laws requiring locking up a firearm and nothing about securing from theft.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Reading is fundamental folks, comprehension is divine.
    Truer words have never been spoken.

Some of you might benefit yourselves in starting at the very first page of this thread to start reading.

So far, in this thread, I have been called a hypocrite, afraid of snakes, and ignorant. Sounds like some like to make assumptions that just aren't true.

First accusation. Not once did I say that they should be banned, or that no one should be allowed to own them if they want to. I stated owning venomous snakes was stupid. I stated that if an innocent bystander is bitten, that the person should be held criminally responsible for the damages to that person.

Second, I'm not fearful of snakes. If I happen to happen upon one without seeing it, yes, I do get startled. But I have been startled by deer on my property, or my wife walking in and not hearing her. That isn't fear. I don't even fear venomous snakes, I just have a respect for what they are capable of being able to do to me if bitten. I use power tools that are probably more dangerous to my safety and well being than most venomous snakes, but I respect the tools because to not be respectful of them is just foolish.

I make no claims at being an expert on snakes of any kind, but I am also far from being ignorant as well, as I was accused of being.

Y'all have a nice day, and bless your little hearts.

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    Lmao, I never even said they should be banned. Opposite in fact.

I just said you were making poor arguments. If you really saw the light, you would make better points to support your opinion.

Sir, I have no argument about this subject, nor have I expressed an opinion on it. I have tried to point out the irony of the situation, as did another member here. But it has gone completely over several people’s head. I’ll just sit back and continue to laugh.

Top Bottom