• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1Andy2

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Beeville
    So I started running a couple of months ago. After a couple of weeks, I gave myself what I think was a very minor case of plantar fasciitis. Had to stop for a week. Got some good running shoes and that one has stayed away since.

Then a couple of weeks ago, just when I was starting to make alot of progress (cutting down my average mile time by 30 seconds per run), I over did it, and wound up with achilles tendonitis in my right tendon.

Today is the first day since then that I've been able to walk around without a great deal of pain in that ankle.

So am I ready to start running again or should I give it a few more days?

Also, what are some exercises I can do to prevent it from getting injured again?

I have kinda flat feet. I think it's making me prone to running injury.
    DK Firearms

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    Stretching regularly and before running would be my best advice.

If you do have flat feet get professionally made orthotics. I highly recommend not running again until you do.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I used to run a lot and I'm with Recoil - if you've got foot issues, orthotics can help tremendously. Also go to a running store and get fitted for shoes. Going to Academy and buying the best pair of shoes won't cut it. You have to get different types of shoes fitted to your condition if you supinate or pronate. Can't help you on the plantar fasciitis. My sister had it and it was a pain for her to get rid of. As far as the tendonitis goes, you have to be methodical about your training and how you ramp it up. I would highly getting a book like Jim Fixx's "The Complete Book of Running" or whatever is in style these days. He has very specific schedules to adhere to - most of which help with over doing it. When you're feeling good, mile times are coming down, it's easy to do - it's fun to go fast but it takes a toll. Don't ignore those rest days.

duckknot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Leander, TX
    Go see a good physical therapist! Orthotics haven't been shown to offer long term relief!

Overuse injuries are very common but can be avoided through proper Biomechanics, stretching and strengthening!

STXdevilsquid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    I don't have flat feet, so can't say on that. I do recommend not always pushing for time. I alternate pace and distance days. Increasing pace by 30 seconds is a lot, also it affects your stride.

1Andy2

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Beeville
    Thanks for the advice guys. I bought some asic gt2000 2 a couple of weeks into running and they did make a huge difference regarding the plantar fasciitis. When that developed, the first morning it hit me, I almost couldn't walk at all in the morning.

Also, I started off stretching, but then I read something about stretching not being beneficial. That it was really just the warm up that was best. I'll definitely go back to stretching before/after.

What hurt me on this tendon thing was the last couple of workouts where I fast walked a 1/4 mile, jogged 3/4 mile, walked 1/8 mile, then jogged 3/8 mile. I know it doesn't sound like much, but this was coming from not exercising at all, prior to this attempt. When I started a couple of months ago, I couldn't jog 1/4 mile. I could barely jog for 60 seconds straight.

I'm 32, have chronic asthma... and I think I need to get in shape and stay in shape now, while I have a little youth left.

The advice is appreciated. Not sure where to look for a physical therapist, but I will ask around. My brother is an RN (ER nurse) so maybe I'll give him a ring.

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    My first advice is to always critique form first. You take thousands of steps each run and if you're doing it wrong, that means you're doing it wrong thousands of times. Make sure you're not over-striding, keep your feet under your hips and chest forward — almost like you're leaning forward. This allows your ankles, knees and hips to absorb the impact of each step rather than just the ankles OR knees OR hips. Try to stay light on your feet and almost completely off your heels — the occasional heel strike won't kill you, but you should be TRYING to stay off them.

Project: run at a comfortable pace on a treadmill 1/4 mile barefoot, keeping your heels off the surface. Now go run like that every time — mid-foot forward.

Protip: Before starting a run, jog in place for 10-20 seconds. Get the feel of that... feet under hips, chest to the sky, elbows at 90 degrees. Now, just lean forward a little and take off.

There are certain shoes for certain feet that will encourage this technique more than others. As mentioned before, alternating between pace and distance is much healthier than just going out as fast as you can, as far as you can until your form falls apart. I use RunKeeper on my phone, but there are tons of apps and running plans designed to get the most out of your workouts — these are especially beneficial to beginners and people that run alone.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Gotta ease into it. I know, I overdo it every time I start something new.

Im not a fan of shoes on the whole. I prefer barefoot or thin. I wear Underarmour speedforms (?) without socks. Really smooth on the inside, but my feet have also been described as "leathery" and hard, lol

It can make a big difference getting shoes that are right for your feet. Going to a real shoe or running store can help. In my case one of my sisters is a PT so I just had her help me.

duckknot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Leander, TX
    Thanks for the advice guys. I bought some asic gt2000 2 a couple of weeks into running and they did make a huge difference regarding the plantar fasciitis. When that developed, the first morning it hit me, I almost couldn't walk at all in the morning.

Also, I started off stretching, but then I read something about stretching not being beneficial. That it was really just the warm up that was best. I'll definitely go back to stretching before/after.

What hurt me on this tendon thing was the last couple of workouts where I fast walked a 1/4 mile, jogged 3/4 mile, walked 1/8 mile, then jogged 3/8 mile. I know it doesn't sound like much, but this was coming from not exercising at all, prior to this attempt. When I started a couple of months ago, I couldn't jog 1/4 mile. I could barely jog for 60 seconds straight.

I'm 32, have chronic asthma... and I think I need to get in shape and stay in shape now, while I have a little youth left.

The advice is appreciated. Not sure where to look for a physical therapist, but I will ask around. My brother is an RN (ER nurse) so maybe I'll give him a ring.
    If you are in Texas you will need a referral from your doctor to see one so that may be a good place to start! They may have one they suggest but you can take that referral to any PT so do some research!

Depending on your area you may be able to find a sport specific PT to help with running form and other things mentioned! Also look for a PT that performs hands on manual work, most of this can be found by Googling/making a few calls!

1Andy2

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Beeville
    Got over being hurt and started running again in January. Been running 3 times per week every week since. Best time so far is 8 min 40 sec.

Went from 178 pounds Jan 4th to 164 pounds March 1st.

This second go around, I haven't had nearly the same problems with injury. The only pain I'm getting is chronic shin pain. Not terrible, usually goes away after the first 2 minutes running.

A couple of things that I think have really helped:

Leg, calf, and foot exercises supplementary to the running.
    Being careful to build up REALLY slowly.
    Buying decent running shoes.
    Not doing back to back running days.
    Being careful to try to land on the balls of my feet rather than my heels.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I am 54 and started running in June of last year. Well, slow jogging. I weighed 211 then and am at 170 now.

My initial goal was to jog for 20 minutes. I was at a very slow pace. Not even 2 miles. I ran every other day. Once 20 minutes was do-able I focused on getting 2 miles done at a pace I could do. I only made increases when I was doing a pace well.

I am now at 6 miles. My average pace is just under 9 minute miles. I have bumps up to 7:30. I make changes monthly, alternating on increasing pace or distance.

Do not increase too much at one time. an 8:40 pace is pretty good. For how far are you maintaining that?

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Wife is the runner in our family, and I don't have anything in the way of advice other than I've seen her overcome several similar stepping stones. She started from the ground up with a 'couch to 5k' type deal, found out she likes running, and she's training for a 50k now. Her best friend is a trail runner and got her into that now, and an old friend of ours from the car days is the organizer for a ton of those trail runs around Texas.

Had to build her a 24" x 36" display case for her race medals :)

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Walk. Running is for prey. Running also is hell on your shins.;)

If you are going to run, run sprints.( they way an apex predator chases down prey)

1Andy2

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Beeville
    I am 54 and started running in June of last year. Well, slow jogging. I weighed 211 then and am at 170 now.

My initial goal was to jog for 20 minutes. I was at a very slow pace. Not even 2 miles. I ran every other day. Once 20 minutes was do-able I focused on getting 2 miles done at a pace I could do. I only made increases when I was doing a pace well.

I am now at 6 miles. My average pace is just under 9 minute miles. I have bumps up to 7:30. I make changes monthly, alternating on increasing pace or distance.

Do not increase too much at one time. an 8:40 pace is pretty good. For how far are you maintaining that?

1 mile. Then I'll walk for a quarter mile, then slow jog for a half mile, then walk for about a mile.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    1 mile. Then I'll walk for a quarter mile, then slow jog for a half mile, then walk for about a mile.

I must preface this with a reminder that I have zero training in how to run. I decided to run the Beach to Bay marathon this May. For me, running at a pace I can maintain over distance is my goal. Maybe slow down and maintain the pace longer?

At any rate, congrats for sticking with it. It's good for you. ;)

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    I ran distance for decades.

Orthotics do help if you have flat feet.

I know as I have flat feet and without orthotics my feet start pronating and start hurting pronto.

I started my running career with walking only 1 block on the very first day I decided to get into running shape.

The next day, I upped it to 2 blocks, the day after 3 blocks.

The day after I walked 6 blocks, I slowly ran 1 block the next day and so on.

Eventually, and yes it took some months, I was running 10 miles a day and 15 on week-ends.

My approach, that is, very gradually easing into running, prevented any injury of any kind.

This key to this approach is patience for results.

The only reason I no longer run is a knee injury from in-line skating.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Chasewhat0
    Top Bottom