• ...and so much more!
  • Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    My bet is it is a scam, otherwise everyone I know on the CMP mailing list would have received likewise. They have not nor have I. If you want to find out for sure if a scam or not, click on the link in that email.

Really - click on the update profile link in that email instead of go to our site to update your profile!!!

Last edited:

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    All their shit got too high anyway
    They used to be reasonably priced but now their prices are higher than those 2 fat guys with the nickle plated Colts at the gun show who have them in a glass case with no prices because if you have to ask, you can't afford it
    I stopped making stops at CMP a few years ago. It wasn't worth the time and gas.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Y'all have *NO* idea how much compliance is required for a website or email campaign nowadays! The Internet has already become a regulatory nightmare, with penalties and fines that can easily run into 7-figures.

Eli

Agreed - how does that get fixed? What does it look like? Would it be that the only laws that apply are the ones of the home state + feds? Or would it be any state the company has a physical presence in + the feds? Only federal laws? Something else?

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Agreed - how does that get fixed? What does it look like? Would it be that the only laws that apply are the ones of the home state + feds? Or would it be any state the company has a physical presence in + the feds? Only federal laws? Something else?

Depends. For CCPA, it applies to any business that has users or customers in CA and meets one the three criteria below:

* annual gross revenues of $25 million;
    * annually buy, sell, receive, or share for commercial purposes the personal information of 50,000 or more consumers, households, or devices; or
    * derive 50 percent or more of its annual revenues from selling consumers’ personal information

If you meet one of the three AND have one CA user or customer, then you must comply with the requirements for that one customer.

If you want to learn more, here’s a place to start.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Depends. For CCPA, it applies to any business that has users or customers in CA and meets one the three criteria below:

* annual gross revenues of $25 million;
    * annually buy, sell, receive, or share for commercial purposes the personal information of 50,000 or more consumers, households, or devices; or
    * derive 50 percent or more of its annual revenues from selling consumers’ personal information

If you meet one of the three AND have one CA user or customer, then you must comply with the requirements for that one customer.

If you want to learn more, here’s a place to start.

That's how it is now. That adds to the regulatory mess though that Eli mentioned. What does the "fix" look like though. If you spin up a company here in Texas and decide to have an Internet presense - either to sell a product or service or whatever - now suddenly you face this mass of regulation from the multitude of states, the feds, and other countries.

Once upon a time I ran a silly little outdoor blog and did some guest writing - even for *that* we had to have disclaimers and notices about the use of "cookies" and tracking and data privacy for users in Europe - I didn't even have my own servers, I was utilizing WordPress's platforms. Seems silly to me that anyone in the US should have to worry about European law unless they have a physical presence there or they're based in Europe.

That's why I asked what the fix ultimately looks like, because unless things change, we'll just see more and more regulation pop up as technology changes and progresses and new services crop up. The law is always so slow to adapt, but when they do they seem to go for big swings.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Y'all have *NO* idea how much compliance is required for a website or email campaign nowadays! The Internet has already become a regulatory nightmare, with penalties and fines that can easily run into 7-figures.

Eli
    This is very true. Double opt in requirements alone have significantly slowed down our marketing efforts. And we are far from a shotgun approach to the market.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    …That's why I asked what the fix ultimately looks like, because unless things change, we'll just see more and more regulation pop up as technology changes and progresses and new services crop up. The law is always so slow to adapt, but when they do they seem to go for big swings.
    Some of that is the price of doing business interstate or internationally. Fortunately or otherwise, the internet erases borders; does that mean you should have your rights erased? Personally, if I was starting an internet business today, I would stop and walk away. Whether it’s collecting taxes for another state, racing to zero on prices for drop shipped product I don’t control quality of, or having to put up with things like CCPA and/or GDPR as the cost of entry, it’s just not worth it to me. Just like small biz fed contracts; looks tempting, but the regulatory burden is not something I would take on, especially for an expected 4-7% profit. You’ve got to get to scale to survive on that kind of margin and that’s counter to everything a small business is.

To me, that’s the problem to solve for because regulatory burden, by design, excludes small businesses. Even the feds recognize this as many employment laws statutorily do not apply to businesses with less than 10 or 50 employees. But until you get a government that truly values small businesses the playing field will remain lopsided.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    ignore their bullshit and go about your business

That works up till storm ninjas from out of state or the feebs come to collect you, or seize your bank accounts, etc - legal or not. Like the pastor in Indiana who builds licensed Batmobiles who got raided by a California sheriff and arrested, because sheriff's buddy threw a tantrum because he got bumped to the bottom of the list after missing a payment on his vehicle to be built.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    CivWar 2.0 should have started right there. They need to stay in their own damn state.

Oh I agree there. A grand jury refused to indict in Indiana, and a Cali court even had found prior to this raid that the correct venue was in Indiana. Sheriff sent investigators across country, arrested the car builder, seized a vehicle to be built, they froze his bank accounts - it launched an ethics investigation into the sheriff and has been the subject of a local news agency's ongoing coverage. The simple fact that law / law enforcement can be brought to bear, legally or not, against someone in another state or country is outlandish.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Your bet would be wrong.
    When I updated my profile and email preferences on the CMP site, just last night, it did not ask for my DOB nor my residence address and I received an email from the CMP today acknowledging my updates. It seems odd, that if they actually have sent out an email to some subscribers that says they require that California's rules apply to all CMP email subscribers, they did not require my address nor my date of birth as per those rules.

If you'd like to see what they require as far as email subscribers' info goes, you can go to this link or you can go to their website and click on the Join Our Email List just a bit under the very top of the page. They do not ask for the required information in the supposed bonafide email you received from them.

Of course, that all could be so new they have not had a chance to note it on their website but instead felt it imperative to send out an email notification only to certain of their email subscribers and not all of them. Anywy, I sent them an inquiry about it. When and if they answer it, I'll post about it here.

Last edited:

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    …If you'd like to see what they require as far as email subscribers' info goes, you can go to visitor.r20.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?llr=hdcyvofab&p=oi&m=1105372907623&sit=d6vk965fb&f=2952bb50-c9f2-4890-a5e3-632cea645928

If you’d have followed this thread from the beginning, you would have known all that already.

The original email was not a hoax or scam. The followup from CMP clarified it was a mistake to be sent as they don’t require that information. Images of the content of both emails are up thread.

Had you received the original email and clicked the link, you would’ve been taken to the same constantcontact page you linked. It was truly a case of somebody made a mistake and was easily verified as an authentic CMP email with a quick glance at the header information.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    If you’d have followed this thread from the beginning, you would have known all that already.

The original email was not a hoax or scam. The followup from CMP clarified it was a mistake to be sent as they don’t require that information. Images of the content of both emails are up thread.

Had you received the original email and clicked the link, you would’ve been taken to the same constantcontact page you linked. It was truly a case of somebody made a mistake and was easily verified as an authentic CMP email with a quick glance at the header information.
    I did see the content. It still looked bogus even though it is legit. According to CMP they now need state of residence. Funny they did not send this to at least halfva dozen folkscIbchecked with nor did I receive it.

As for, me clicking on a link in an unsolicited email asking for my personal info, unlikely if ever will that happen. I loke to verify with the supposed source. Just being careful with links and with my info.

I wonder how long it will be before CA is sued over this as a free speech violation, if ever.

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    Got an email this morning that CMP will stop sending me emails unless I comply with the requirements of a Califuckistani law.

It was good while it lasted.
    7b236ccb2d68000390f0b7163e31a694.jpg

I thought that law in California was put on hold thanks to a lawsuit? SCTP and other youth organizations were doing the same thing and putting disclaimers warning viewers living in California.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I thought that law in California was put on hold thanks to a lawsuit?
    Probably, but a lot of companies try to front run regulations so they don't have a hard transition period or get fined. Works out great for the politicians as it's then corporate policy and they didn't actually have to be responsible for it.

Some companies are also establishment bootlickers and will implement anything politicians say, but I doubt CMP is in that category.

Top Bottom