• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    I thought I'd give a range report for the CMMG .22lr bolt conversion kit. This unit replaces the BCG (bolt carrier group) on your AR15.

I'll start off by saying it was worth the money and I can't wait to shoot more.

I experienced some break in issues. I stress that they were break in issues because they disappeared after 50 rounds. The bolt comes with a 25 rond full size magazine. I purchased two more with my initial order.

CONs: The magazines are hard to load. Part of the problem is the way the lip of the magazine is consructed. Those .22lrs are slippery when you're trying to push down your 20th round. I couldn't get them loaded up to 25 and I figure I'll be able to with some further use.

For the first 50 or so rounds, I had FTE issues. It would fire a round and the shell would get caught in the bolt tube in the strangest way. At times, it would try to double feed. I'll admit, I expected some issues so I wasn't too surprised.

I have a Plum Crazy Lower and the magazines do not free fall eject when the magazine release is pressed. In fact, I have to tug them out of the lower receiver after emptying the magazine. In all reality, this isn't a huge issue with me. I don't plan on using .22lr for a tactical situation and I don't forsee the need to drop a mag while on the run.

PROs: I worried about accuracy, but using open sights, I didn't notice a substantial difference while shooting standing (compared to my 5.56 rounds). I did have to compensate a bit on the sights to place the shoots where I wanted them. This conversion would work well in a small varmit hunting situation.

It is a pleasure to shoot .22lr out of an AR. The kids and wife are going to love it. I just need to get one of those $5 parts that take the "twang" noise after each fired shot out of the buttstock and this little rifle would be perfect.

As a side note, this was my first time using the range at DFW Gun Range and I like their service. They even allow double taps which is the first range I've been to in TX that allows this. While that may not seem like a big deal to you, it makes me think they see their customers as adults and not special needs firearm handlers. I was able to do double tap drills without fear of the loudspeaker!
    Hurley's Gold

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Thanks for the report. I've got one of those as well, and my assessment is about the same as yours, except I got a different POI with the .22 than when shooting .223. About 1 - 2" left at 15 yards. POI was also a little low, but that is understandable at that close range. I would guess it would zero on the up tick at around 50-75 yards, and back down again at around 125. I'll need to try that though.

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    I found mine to be a bit low with the .22lr too. I started doing some Kentucy windage and would just aim high on the bullseye and I could get it were I wanted it. I think your right in your assesment as to the POI and why it was so low (close range). I'd like to try it out to 75 yards next.

TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    How much and where did you purchase the conversion kit at? Ive been kicking the idea back and forth to either get the kit, or just buy a 22 plinker. I dont know what would be better. Kinda like the idea of a whole different gun for 22's. But i like the conversion kit to give me more "hands on" on my AR.
    Good report btw. Thanks.

ryantx23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    North TX
    I have a Cenier and I get good accuracy out of my Rock River. It's no problem to bust clays at 125 using my Rock River with my ACOG. That being said, at 100 it is hitting lower than your .223/5.56 round does, but it's easy to compensate with a little Kentucky windage.

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    I purchased mine off a gunbroker.com. I've seen the stainless steel ones advertised in Shotgun magazine for $149 for the bolt and one mag. I purchased mine for just under that and it isn't the stainless.

I had decided to get only dedicated .22s but once I purchased an AR and saw how cheap and easy it is to convert, I took the plunge. Now when I purchase a .22 for my kids (their first rifle) I'll get them a full blown AR with a conversion bolt. They'll learn the system on .22s and won't outgrow the rifle because they can shoot the 5.56 later on down the road. I still am purchasing dedicated .22 pistols, but the same argument I just used could be considered for a pistol as well.

It's so nice to have options (for now at least).

Top Bottom