• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    If you are looking for a great present for someone who loves shooting their AR and wants to save some cash on ammo, I wholeheartedly recommend these conversions:

https://www.primaryarms.com/cmmg-22lr-ar15-conversion-kit-bravo-3-25-round-magazines

On sale right now for $140 with three mags, they are a steal! I love mine, and the accuracy is very good considering you get to shoot your AR with a simple BCG change. I can break clay pigeons (stationary) at 50-75 yards all day long with Mini Mags. So much fun! And at $0.05 versus $0.25 (or more) per round, you save at least $0.20 every shot! That’s $5 per magazine, and you’ll pay for this kit with your first 30 mags!!!

Seriously, if you’d shoot ARs a lot, or want to have your kids shoot them, this is a great way to go.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    One of these kits got me going down the rabbit hole of building a dedicated .22 LR upper with the proper barrel instead of just the conversion. Le sigh.

kenboyles72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2017
    Gladewater,TX
    I really enjoy my CMMG drop-in. More cost effective shooting, convenient, and has pretty good accuracy, about 1-1.5" groups with CCI Velocitors at 50 yrds. I'm not going to bother with a dedicated upper, I have a good 22 for that. When I go into the woods, I always carry my conversion kit, just in case I need to shoot a squirrel or rabbit, a lot better than carrying two rifles. Right now during deer season, I do carry two rifles, cause I won't have time to swap out BCG's if I see a deer.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    I ended up getting a dedicated 22LR upper with 22 LR barrel and the other CMMG 22 conversion. The only draw back to the one shown is if you shoot a lot of .22 LR through your .556 barrel...you must clean the chamber before you can shoot .556 through it again...and after running hundreds of .22 LR rounds (M16 lower), the cleaning of the .556 chamber was more hassle than I wanted....Over the couple of years I have had only two failures of the CMMG 22 LR conversion parts. The auto sear trip broke (after thousands of rounds) and the forward assist piece broke after thousands of rounds.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Good discussion...I personally bought a PSA upper last year during the black Friday deals...complete upper, BCG, charging handle, and MAGPUL sights was $199 delivered. Bought the CMMG kit (same deal) from Primary arms shortly thereafter. I already had a complete lower receiver, so I slapped everything together and have been shooting it ever since.

One word of warning...I did have to lightly buff the CMMG brass piece as it did not fit completely into my PSA upper. Apparently, this is a common thing. It fit fine in several other uppers, but not my PSA. After speaking with CMMG support, I gave it a shot and after a few minutes work, I was in business.

I have put somewhere over 4bricks of ammo through it and zero issues thus far. Only cleaned it once. I shoot mostly federal and CCI ammo. Best groups are with standard velocity CCI (no surprise there...that ammo is the most accurate fodder for all my .22 rifles) but MiniMags shoot well too.

And it's a huge hit at the range with my daughters and kids. With three mags, I teach the kids how to load the magazines and they each shoot until their mag is empty and then it's the next kid with a loaded mag. I also bring my 10-22, but everyone wants to shoot the AR (and at the 10-25 year steel range, both are plenty accurate.

So...there are other options for sure. But this works for me.

kenboyles72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2017
    Gladewater,TX
    Dedicated .22 upper is light years ahead of a drop in.
    I have had dedicated .22 rifles that shot worse than this drop in kit, one being a Ruger 10/22, but then I have had many that were better. Overall, this drop in shoots very well and is pretty accurate. Just set my AR up shooting CCI standard velocity with a micro red dot, at 50 yrds, 10 shot group, all rnds were in a 1 inch bullseye. My nephew's Savage 64 shoots about the same, my Marlin 60 will do nickle sized groups. So on average, this drop in will perform just as good as these other dedicated rifles.

No cleaning all that rimfire gunk out of your big boy rifle.
    Depends on the ammo. CCI burns a lot cleaner and I have gone 300 rnds or more before cleaning my AR. Bolt area not to dirty, but the FCG area has a lot of powder residue. Bulk ammo on the other hand, burns dirty and builds up pretty good on the bolt as well as FCG area. I would rather clean my AR than I would my other rifles, much more easier.

Top Bottom