• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wakosama

Collapse now - Avoid the rush
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    I've used them for years. And my father, sister's husband and father-in-law all used them on 1911's in 'their' wars.

Never thought about this until yesterday, but... now I wonder if it qualifies as legal for concealed carry here in TX? Since I read I'm 'supposed' to carry in a holster. Just asking. Thanks.
    Gun Zone Deals

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    This is what I think about when you say "clip it".

Attachments

• 32acp.jpeg
      32acp.jpeg
      70.2 KB · Views: 99

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I've used them for years. And my father, sister's husband and father-in-law all used them on 1911's in 'their' wars.

Never thought about this until yesterday, but... now I wonder if it qualifies as legal for concealed carry here in TX? Since I read I'm 'supposed' to carry in a holster. Just asking. Thanks.
    Open carry requires a holster. Not concealed carry.

wakosama

Collapse now - Avoid the rush
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    Excuse me, my bad. It's named a CLIP DRAW Thank you dsgrey. Sorry for the slip. and yes that is the very item pictured but not that gun. am ocntacting the manufacturer for some clarification. thanks all.

Last edited:

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Holsters are bulky and wear holes in my hip. the Clip it has never failed. however as noted I am now concerned it might not qualify as a real holster and maybe I am overly concerned so I inquired here on regarding its acceptability.
    Did you read my post? Open carry requires a holster, Concealed carry does not. Since you are carrying concealed you can use your clip. Legal but not as safe as a holster.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Holsters are bulky and wear holes in my hip. the Clip it has never failed. however as noted I am now concerned it might not qualify as a real holster and maybe I am overly concerned so I inquired here on regarding its acceptability.
    I'll say it again, get a real holster.

A holster is a critical part of carrying a gun. A thin metal clip gives no retention, is less stable, and does not block access to the trigger or safety, and can cause draw obstructions, like a front sight getting snagged. And that "bulk" allows for an easy and safe reholstering.

A clip is a half step up from mexican carry.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I'll say it again, get a real holster.

A holster is a critical part of carrying a gun. A thin metal clip gives no retention, is less stable, and does not block access to the trigger or safety, and can cause draw obstructions, like a front sight getting snagged. And that "bulk" allows for an easy and safe reholstering.

A clip is a half step up from mexican carry.
    This is sound reasoning.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Maintenance? Minimal to none. Have had leather EDC holsters for years and no problems with stretching or collapsing. You must be talking about cheap holsters.
    Nope, will happen to even expensive high quality holsters. I've had to replace holsters by Bianchi, Galco, Mitch Rosen, DeSantis, and 1791.

Leather is just old skin, heat, sweat, and rough handling will cause it to shrink, crack, stretch...

The lack of a hard shell means retention can be easily increased or decreased by if pressure is put on it (try drawing while laying on your gun side or with your gun side against a wall)

Leather is beautiful and very comfortable, but for a fighting gun, there are far superior options today

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Excuse me, my bad. It's named a CLIP DRAW Thank you dsgrey. Sorry for the slip. and yes that is the very item pictured but not that gun. am ocntacting the manufacturer for some clarification. thanks all.
    That firearm does have a holster but I've used that clip when just wearing gym shorts in the yard. A light mouse gun where anything else would get me charged with indecent exposure due to the weight.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Nope, will happen to even expensive high quality holsters. I've had to replace holsters by Bianchi, Galco, Mitch Rosen, DeSantis, and 1791.

Leather is just old skin, heat, sweat, and rough handling will cause it to shrink, crack, stretch...

The lack of a hard shell means retention can be easily increased or decreased by if pressure is put on it (try drawing while laying on your gun side or with your gun side against a wall)

Leather is beautiful and very comfortable, but for a fighting gun, there are far superior options today
    Well, your experience is exactly opposite of mine.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Only problem with leather is it requires maintenance and can stretch, and can collapse making retention and reholstering less than ideal

I mean, sure, if you're scuba diving with them. Otherwise (barring some serious abuse) a leather holster should last literal decades. I've never seen one that was regularly used wear out like you describe without serious abuse.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Well, your experience is exactly opposite of mine.
    That may be true, but leather has been around a very, very long time, it's flaws are well known, and it's why you don't see it used as much (if at all) on duty belts.

Go try to draw with pressure on the holster, or take a dunk in the water and wear your gun for a summer day and see how it's doing, wear your gun with a leather holster for a year or so and have pressure put on it constantly, see how it holds up.

It will not hold up well

Reactions: gll

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I mean, sure, if you're scuba diving with them. Otherwise (barring some serious abuse) a leather holster should last literal decades. I've never seen one that was regularly used wear out like you describe without serious abuse.
    Dude, it's leather, put any amount of pressure on it and it will collapse.

A kydex or other type of polymer holster will last much much longer

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Dude, it's leather, put any amount of pressure on it and it will collapse.

A kydex or other type of polymer holster will last much much longer

Dude. Quality leather won't. Or if it does, nobody told my leather holsters. I have kydex holsters, too. They have their upsides, but a quality leather holster is nice, too. If you don't treat it like crap.

...or take a dunk in the water and wear your gun for a summer day and see how it's doing...

Here we see the problem. Yes, leather has been around for a long time. And for a long time, people have known not to get leather holsters or sheaths wet if they can avoid it. I wasn't kidding about the scuba diving thing.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    This holster (the only leather holster i currently own) is about 2 years old, only worn on (almost) every Friday in summer, with a S&W 66. Bianchi 4H. Needs to be thrown out because the belt loops have stretched, as has the thumb break, it can not be easily drawn.any pressure put on it complicates the draw, but i can still get it out since its a revolver.
    Point Blur_May112022_214414.jpg
    Point Blur_May112022_214438.jpg
    Point Blur_May112022_214501.jpg
    Point Blur_May112022_214631.jpg

This safariland ALS is about 2 years old as well, the belt loop plate is probably about 3, and is used 4 days of the week all year round. Its mostly been carrying a Beretta PX4, but the loop plate has been used to carry an M9A4 and occasionally a 1911, in other Safariland or safariland compatible holsters. No issues with retention and i can be totally on my side, all 200lbs of me on this holster, and still draw and reholster
    Point Blur_May112022_214710.jpg
    Point Blur_May112022_214729.jpg

I don't hate leather, it looks great and is comfortable, but it has major downsides.

Thats why even as far back as WWI, lot's of countries made efforts to get away from leather, slings, cartridge belts, holsters...

And its why hardly anyone who carries a gun for a living still uses leather

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Robert Harrell
    Top Bottom