Military Camp

Claiming "combat accuracy" is an excuse.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis

Key points from video:

- Combat accuracy as "currently taught" is an excuse for poor shooting and poor instruction.

- 5" accuracy at 5 yards isnt really accuracy at all (yellow portion of my target)

- Skills degrade during stress for everyone including combat shooters. Target shooters start with an advantage

- 4" at 7 yards is more better than 8" at 5 yards

*Added later. Should have posted up front but you know...work and sleep and stuff.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    "Combat accuracy" means hitting what you need to hit.

The whole point behind "combat accuracy" is firing just slow enough to stay on target while not wasting time trying to get a small group.

It's not an excuse, it is knowing the maximum rate of fire at which you can sustain an acceptable level of precision. Accurate shots hit the target, precise shots hit the target in the same spot.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I haven't watched the vid yet, just responding to salty.
    Thats fine and i agree generally with what you said regarding "combat accuracy".

Different conversation from the video though which is titled "combat accuracy as currently taught is an excuse for poor shooting and poor instruction."

This is absolutely true. When I talk about the dot drill and people are like "why do you need to shoot tiny little groups, just hit the target" or "in a gunfight you won't use your sights anyways" these are the same folks who will claim their "combat accuracy" is good enough. Same thing with most point shooters. They dont have the skill, dont respect, understand or value the skill and arent training in the skill of being both highly accurate when needed and being able to get off some fast "combat accurate" shots when needed.

I train for the whole spectrum.

It is a real good video with good advice. I watched a few from Deadeye Steve last night. Hes a new member and sponsor here as well.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Thats fine and i agree generally with what you said regarding "combat accuracy".

Different conversation from the video though which is titled "combat accuracy as currently taught is an excuse for poor shooting and poor instruction."

This is absolutely true. When I talk about the dot drill and people are like "why do you need to shoot tiny little groups, just hit the target" or "in a gunfight you won't use your sights anyways" these are the same folks who will claim their "combat accuracy" is good enough. Same thing with most point shooters. They dont have the skill, dont respect, understand or value the skill and arent training in the skill of being both highly accurate when needed and being able to get off some fast "combat accurate" shots when needed.

I train for the whole spectrum.

It is a real good video with good advice. I watched a few from Deadeye Steve last night. Hes a new member and sponsor here as well.

I don't disagree. If you practice shooting smaller groups, and increase the speed at which you can do so, you will also increase the speed at which you can shoot with "combat accuracy" (or self defense accuracy?). Shooting slow large groups does not equal combat accuracy.

Gonna try to watch the vid soon.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    We use the knock down targets, knock it down and its close enough, you either get a KIA or WIA. The challenge facing the Infantry combat soldier is to acquire the target and not become an acquired target in the process. Our goal is to only engage when we have an overwhelming fire ratio, typically 3:1, but that is not always the case...

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Ok, watched the video. I don't disagree with everything he says, but one thing does bug me.

Do we train to shoot for the heart, or center mass? What should we train for?

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    ^^^^^^ me center mass . I was taught to shoot and move. Whilst still engaging the target. Till its dead. Then your position should have changed by then. Cover reload breath and break camp.
    Assess when you leave the AO

P.S center mass is a bigger target while you are running screaming like a school girl lost in the ghetto. Myself included. But center mass. Get enough lead in center mass.
    Heart shot odds go up

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    To expand on what I take from combat accuracy, and based on a vid I watched for the NRA I believe.

A 6" group is fine at 5 yards. Shoot as fast as you can while maintaining that 6" group.

At 10 yards, you must shoot as fast as you can while still maintaining the 6" group.

Same rule applies at 15, 20, 25, 30, etc yards.

It's not about a group size at a specific range, it's about a group size combines with maximum speed in which that group size can be maintained.

Personally, I don't believe I should be aiming at the heart. It's been ingrained in me to aim at center mass. That allows me to fire as quickly as possible at the largest and least mobile area of the body housing the most important parts (aside from the brain). My goal will be to hit first and repeat as needed.

Now, as to his issue with trainers calling 6" good enough. That could very well be supported by me, assuming the trainers aren't keeping that group size at 6" as range increases. Accuracy (precision really) almost always plays out as an ever growing cone if all other factors remain constant. If the instructors are teaching to keep other factors constant while increasing distance an issue does exist.

I can also see that there may be differences in the point of the class. Many SD classes may be about tactics and keeping a level head, and only dealing with accuracy to the point of keeping a baseline minimum. Otherwise it would be hard to get it all in to one day or one weekend.

I guess it would be easier if I knew which classes he was referring to and exactly what the instructors were teaching. One instructor saying others are wrong isn't exactly a new thing so I have a bit of skepticism from the start.

Would like to hear SigFiends opinion.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    To expand on what I take from combat accuracy, and based on a vid I watched for the NRA I believe.

A 6" group is fine at 5 yards. Shoot as fast as you can while maintaining that 6" group.

At 10 yards, you must shoot as fast as you can while still maintaining the 6" group.

Same rule applies at 15, 20, 25, 30, etc yards.

It's not about a group size at a specific range, it's about a group size combines with maximum speed in which that group size can be maintained.

Personally, I don't believe I should be aiming at the heart. It's been ingrained in me to aim at center mass. That allows me to fire as quickly as possible at the largest and least mobile area of the body housing the most important parts (aside from the brain). My goal will be to hit first and repeat as needed.

Now, as to his issue with trainers calling 6" good enough. That could very well be supported by me, assuming the trainers aren't keeping that group size at 6" as range increases. Accuracy (precision really) almost always plays out as an ever growing cone if all other factors remain constant. If the instructors are teaching to keep other factors constant while increasing distance an issue does exist.

I can also see that there may be differences in the point of the class. Many SD classes may be about tactics and keeping a level head, and only dealing with accuracy to the point of keeping a baseline minimum. Otherwise it would be hard to get it all in to one day or one weekend.

I guess it would be easier if I knew which classes he was referring to and exactly what the instructors were teaching. One instructor saying others are wrong isn't exactly a new thing so I have a bit of skepticism from the start.

Would like to hear SigFiends opinion.
    Well put great one.
    Stfutac code word.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I run with guys who spray bullets. They like to push me into getting the "Lantac" muzzle brake so the rifle stays on target while spraying. I don't shoot like that and never did so having an effective muzzle brake is a waste of money. One shot.......one dead thing. If a target isn't available, then why shoot?

That's how I do it.

Flash

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Left eye or right eye doesn't make a difference.
    Putting lead into the bad guy first is what matters.
    When I was much younger while I favored my right side, either worked for me, especially the M 16 vs the old M 14. Due to it being so light I could shoot it off either side with ease. But I guess age has taken its toll on being ambi...

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    I run with guys who spray bullets. They like to push me into getting the "Lantac" muzzle brake so the rifle stays on target while spraying. I don't shoot like that and never did so having an effective muzzle brake is a waste of money. One shot.......one dead thing. If a target isn't available, then why shoot?

That's how I do it.

Flash
    Sniper motto is not

Top Bottom