Join TexasGunTalk

Civilian access to military ranges?

Discussion in 'Texas Gun Ranges' started by Nietzsche, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Member

Jan 21, 2016
    In the U.K. I held memberships in a number of clubs over the years including the Fifty Calibre Shooters Association (UK). All the clubs were able to book military ranges for club use at reasonable cost, giving access to rifle ranges up to 1200 yards and the FCSA also regularly booked a tank range going out to 3000 yards. Clubs had trained ROs, own insurance and operated within the rules of the military.

Is there anything like this in TX?

2. Renegade

Renegade SuperOwner

Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I shot at Fort Wolters and Fort Hood, but that was 20+ years ago and I think it is no longer an option.

3. toddnjoyce

toddnjoyce TGT Addict

Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Retired military here. Generally speaking, the answer is no.

There are exceptions. Google Ft Hood Sportsman Club.

The challenge is most military installations aren’t open to the public.

If you know someone who can sponsor you, and follow all the regulations, it can be done.

But an NRA membership doesn’t grant you access.

4. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Thanks for the info, I will have a google the Ft Hood club and try and find out what the set up is. I found this but I am not sure if it is enacted and as you said access to the base is probably going to be the issue.
    10 U.S. Code § 4309 - Rifle ranges: availability for use by members and civilians.
    a)Ranges Available.—

All rifle ranges constructed in whole or in part with funds provided by the United States may be used by members of the armed forces and by persons capable of bearing arms.

(b)Military Ranges.—

(1)

In the case of a rifle rangereferred to in subsection (a) that is located on a military installation, the Secretary concerned may establish reasonable fees for the use by civilians of that rifle range to cover the material and supply costs incurred by the armed forces to make that rifle range available to civilians.

(2)

Fees collected pursuant to paragraph (1) in connection with the use of a rifle range shall be credited to the appropriation available for the operation and maintenance of that rifle rangeand shall be available for the operation and maintenance of that rifle range.

(3)

Use of a rifle range referred to in paragraph (1) by civilians may not interfere with the use of the range by members of the armed forces.

(c)Regulations.—

Regulations to carry out this section with respect to a rifle range shall be prescribed, subject to the approval of the Secretary concerned, by the authorities controlling the rifle range.

(Aug. 10, 1956, ch. 1041, 70A Stat. 236; Pub. L. 99–145, title XIII, § 1301(b)(3)(A), Nov. 8, 1985, 99 Stat. 735; Pub. L. 101–510, div. A, title III, § 328(e), Nov. 5, 1990, 104 Stat. 1533; Pub. L. 102–484, div. A, title III, § 380(b)(1), Oct. 23, 1992, 106 Stat. 2390.)

5. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Dang, that looks like a yes.

Color me shocked.

jordanmills likes this.
  6. majormadmax

majormadmax TGT Addict

Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    toddnjoyce likes this.
  7. BRD@66

BRD@66 TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    I used to drive right past the FH Sportsman's Club on my way to unload & ride my dirt bike at South Ft Hood - prior to 9/11. The access to Hood changed dramatically after that bit of history.

toddnjoyce likes this.
  8. Big Green

Big Green Pew Pew TGT Supporter

Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    That’s the game changer.

toddnjoyce likes this.
  9. toddnjoyce

toddnjoyce TGT Addict

Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    It’s a very qualified yes. From a base access Q&A: “Section 1069 of the 2008 National Defense Authorization Act, now Public Law 110-181, establishes the standards required for entry to military installations in the United States. The secretary of defense has directed all military installations in the United States to comply with Directive-Type Memorandum 09-012, Interim Policy Guidance for DOD Physical Access Control.”

In most cases its installation access that’s the problem. Then, if you do get access, there’s got to be a range available. That means not booked.

Additionally, every installation I’ve been assigned to has required you to register what your bringing on the installation.

Except Ft Carson; when there from 2013-2016, the post literally built a range that is accessible prior to entering the installation.

https://carson.armymwr.com/programs/cheyenne-mountain-shooting-complex

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  10. majormadmax

majormadmax TGT Addict

Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    I don't believe that means civilians in the sense you are thinking. I am pretty ranges can be dual used for dependents, retirees, Reservists/Guardsmen, civil servants, etc. or their invited guests; not that John Q. Public can utilize the facilities.

Honestly, I have never seen anyone on a military range that wasn't an ID card holder or a guest of one.

The Cheyenne Mountain Shooting Complex seems to be the exception, but it appears that range is solely for recreational shooting (not military training). In fact, that website states it is "a partnership between the U.S. Army, El Paso County, the El Paso County Sheriff and Colorado Parks and Wildlife and the U.S. Forest Service." I will definitely check it out the next time I am up in C-Springs...

toddnjoyce and Sandoval like this.