• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I figure reloaders would be the most experienced with chronographing loads.

I'm perusing Amazon with an itch to spend.

3 basic designs.
    1. Traditional sky screens placed out front.
    2. The little folding Chrony version, self contained.
    3. The newest version that straps onto the barrel itself.

Any experience, expertise and advice here??

H
    Gun Zone Deals

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I have a ProChrono and it works really well for everything from paintball guns to .50 BMG. Simple and does what it’s supposed to with no need for extra parts. Setting up near trees where the shadows nip across the screens will cause issues. Also doesn’t work well early morning or late evening. Overcast days it works great without the diffusers.

That said, I’ve used Orbitup’s Magnetospeed and they are really nice. No back in forth to make sure it’s lined up and not gonna get shot. But some setup on the barrel. Readout is right there and Easily saved.

On my .50 I have issues with muzzle blast effecting the reading on my ProChrono so I have to set it a little further out which makes alignment tougher. Not an issue with MagnetoSpeed BUT I would have to buy an extra adapter to fit the brake.

For my use I find its best to have a low cost ProChrono and a friend with an expensive MagnetoSpeed.

PS, Don’t forget LabRadar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I have the shooting chrony.
    While it is very dependable, it has it limits
    I have wanted to upgrade to the radar system

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Magnetospeed here. Love it. I have not strapped it to any pistols yet. I think that's its weakspot. The labradar is pretty f'n nice though but pricier. I got to shoot a little over Southtxpilots' and it worked great.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    One thing I really like about the Magnetospeed is that it stores everything on a spreadsheet that you can save on your computer.

upload_2019-3-12_19-4-21.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-12_19-4-21.png
      upload_2019-3-12_19-4-21.png
      20.3 KB · Views: 600

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Thanks all.
    I have a buddy with an old school chrono that is fussy, functional but a pain.

The LabRadar seems attractive but most pricy.

The ProChrono is more old school but most economical and good reviews.

The Magnetospeed is the most attractive to me right now.
    I did notice the entry level one only is designed for 1" barrels so, shooting suppressed a good bit the V.3 up to 2" "barrels" would be the one for me.

I'll read more reviews and decide soon.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Thanks all.
    I have a buddy with an old school chrono that is fussy, functional but a pain.

The LabRadar seems attractive but most pricy.

The ProChrono is more old school but most economical and good reviews.

The Magnetospeed is the most attractive to me right now.
    I did notice the entry level one only is designed for 1" barrels so, shooting suppressed a good bit the V.3 up to 2" "barrels" would be the one for me.

I'll read more reviews and decide soon.
    The V1 has other drawbacks as well. No spreadsheet is one of them.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    One thing though about the LabRadar - it doesn't work well, if at all on round balls e.g. muzzleloaders

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I'm down to just one chronograph and am very happy with my Oehler 35P

<Idiotically long text describing my history with chronographs snipped.>

My recommendation is to get the cheapest chronograph possible and see if you actually use it. If you get substantial use from it, keep it as a spare and then buy a more premium unit.

Some people buy one, use it for one project, then pretty much never take it out again. You won't know if you're one of those people until you've had a one for a year or more.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    My recommendation is to get the cheapest chronograph possible and see if you actually use it.

Some people buy one, use it for one project, then pretty much never take it out again.

I resemble that comment!

As with all the kitchen gadgets I or my wife just HAVE to have, now cluttering the pantry shelves!!

Makes this look quite attractive.
    https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Ballistic-Precision-Chronograph/dp/B076H2QKRP
    Anything I buy that lasts for years for the cost of a decent bottle of single malt is sort of a no-brainer.

Last edited:

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Had a long response listing the advantages of the LabRadar and computer went stupid. If I make the spring shoot I will bring mine. Take your Oehler or whatever and get a velocity reading at muzzle, 25yds, 50yds, 75yds, and 100yds. From that you can calculate the actual ballistic coefficient of the bullet. Bluetooth and SD card for saving data.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Take your Oehler or whatever and get a velocity reading at muzzle, 25yds, 50yds, 75yds, and 100yds. From that you can calculate the actual ballistic coefficient of the bullet.
    That's tough to do since, in order to factor out shot-to-shot velocity variations, you have to take the measurements on the same shot. That's one of the things the LabRadar has going for it.

Many years ago, I did the same thing, though. I just set up my Oehler at the muzzle and put a Shooting Chrony at the target at 200 yards. It could be tough reading the numbers through a scope if the sun was wrong but it did give me enough numbers to drive myself crazy. :)
    Bluetooth and SD card for saving data.
    Yep, the LabRadar definitely has advantages.

Another one that most people don't think about is the fact that it's easy to set up at the firing line without going downrange. That means you can actually do pistol load development at commercial, indoor ranges.

If you like your LabRadar, I can certainly understand why.

Top Bottom