• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    So, if a blind person is mugged/assaulted they should just have to take it is your position?

Pretty sure if I was getting stomped on by a group or an individual I could make a contact shot on the attacker and be pretty damned sure of my target, even without the use of my eyes.

Put the bangy part on the stompy part and go.
    And if that happens at somewhere like a Walmart and he's not sure where he's aiming and shoots a kid???

Sorry for the vision loss, but I don't think it's best for someone who can't drive to be shooting in public either.
    Venture Surplus ad

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    It's apparent who has worked or lived with the vision impaired and who hasn't. Many of the "legally blind" I know that can no longer see well enough to drive can see more than well enough to shoot.
    Half, at least, of the people I see at the range are just as dangerous if they have to shoot in a defensive position in public. Same goes for LE. I remember when NY cops hit bystanders as often as their intended targets.

Life is dangerous. They have the same rights to self defense you do. Just remember, the anti gun crowd FEEL the same way about YOU. Be careful what you wish for........

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    It's apparent who has worked or lived with the vision impaired and who hasn't. Many of the "legally blind" I know that can no longer see well enough to drive can see more than well enough to shoot.
    Half, at least, of the people I see at the range are just as dangerous if they have to shoot in a defensive position in public. Same goes for LE. I remember when NY cops hit bystanders as often as their intended targets.

Life is dangerous. They have the same rights to self defense you do. Just remember, the anti gun crowd FEEL the same way about YOU. Be careful what you wish for........

My god-daughter is over 80% blind. I took her to the range for her first time shooting ever 8 years ago when she was 21. She shot very well, easily enough to pass the LTC shooting qualification.
    I even talked with her about carrying, and she told me she thought that would be a bad idea for her.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    My god-daughter is over 80% blind. I took her to the range for her first time shooting ever 8 years ago when she was 21. She shot very well, easily enough to pass the LTC shooting qualification.
    I even talked with her about carrying, and she told me she thought that would be a bad idea for her.
    See how that personal choice/ freedom thing works?

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Here is an exercise in critical thinking for some of y’all.

Do you believe that a physical impairment should nullify a God endowed right as enumerated in the BOR?

If you answer yes to this. go dye your hair purple and identify as “xe” because you are no better than the antifa communist scum that slither out of their holes to burn loot and murder when they perceive a slight to their communist groupthink.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Here is an exercise in critical thinking for some of y’all.

Do you believe that a physical impairment should nullify a God endowed right as enumerated in the BOR?

If you answer yes to this. go dye your hair purple and identify as “xe” because you are no better than the antifa communist scum that slither out of their holes to burn loot and murder when they perceive a slight to their communist groupthink.
    Nope, it shouldn't. A physical impairment, is like a disability, can present different set of challenges for a person, but too many people with disabilities overcome challenges to do almost anything these days.

Where there's a will, there is a desire to overcome and adapt. It should be left up to the individual as to what steps they wish to take to defend and protect themselves.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    And if that happens at somewhere like a Walmart and he's not sure where he's aiming and shoots a kid???

Sorry for the vision loss, but I don't think it's best for someone who can't drive to be shooting in public either.
    I can't drive due to my eyesight and not being able to pass a state mandated eye test for a DL.

Want to come by the house and shoot against me in some friendly competition?

Chief DAC

USN MNC Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    Wood County Texas
    Again thanks for the comments, advice, suggestions and even criticism. I am glad to see that there are more of you out there that "get it" than don't. Legally blind does not mean totally blind. Many visually impaired shooters are better shots than those with no difficulties, because we have to try harder. As far as being in a defense situation, impaired persons whether visually or other, may be more aware of the situation than those that are not impaired. Our other senses are strengthened to over come our losses. Situational awareness becomes much more important to us. There will come a time when I no longer feel safe carrying my weapon. At that time I will give it up, but don't need the government telling me when I reach that point. At that time my wife (who has always been a better shot) will defend both of us.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    So....her personal choice. Since she CAN but refuses to, others should be forced to choose the same? By that rule, we should all be disarmed because the anti gun folks choose not to be armed.
    REALLY bad example of why impaired people should not have a firearm.
    My wife has retenitis pigmentosa. Her peripheral vision os so narrow it is not measurable. But she can see straight ahead well enoigh to see a target and beyond. As well as pass the vision test for her license. But she is far more dangerous with a car than a gun. She doesn't drive because she knows it.
    Personal Responsibility. Just like your god daughter. If everyone made honest assesments of their abilities it would be nice. Unfortunately, many that can't be trusted with weapons DO pick them up. As long as they do, other fplk will need to pick them up as well regardless of ability.

Dave Z

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2021
    Roanoke, TX
    I have tought legally blind people to shoot. Some, more than accurate enough to pass the qualifications for LTC. If they can recognize a person, they can shoot them. My wife is one of those. Even totally blind, at very close or contact range hitting the target is not a problem.
    Hitting a target is not the question. Hitting the correct target is my concern.
    Put two targets next to each other at 15 yards, the perpertrator is wearing a head band, and has a micro .380 in his palm, the other is not, can a legally blind shooter identify the perp?
    What if your wife were standing 5 feet behind and to the left of the intended target, would a blind shooter aim for the correct target?
    In many cases, the intended target is not the only person within range.
    I know if I was erroneously targeted by a blind shooter, and survived the encounter, I would own the blind mans house, his car, and his first born child after my attorney got through.
    The correct terms are "gross negligence" and "complete disregard".

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Put two targets next to each other at 15 yards, the perpertrator is wearing a head band, and has a micro .380 in his palm, the other is not, can a legally blind shooter identify the perp?
    What if your wife were standing 5 feet behind and to the left of the intended target, would a blind shooter aim for the correct target?
    I know if I was erroneously targeted by a blind shooter, and survived the encounter, I would own the blind mans house, his car, and his first born child after my attorney got through.
    So, you believe a physical impairment should nullify a God given right. Did I get that right?

It is a yes or no answer. No bloviating, just answer please.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County

You're inventing scenarios to justify your prejudice. You do understand that legally blind people might still retain their judgement and decision making skills, right?

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    EVERYONE has the right to defend themselves.You are trying to go out of your way to discriminate against a person with a disability.

I'm legally blind according to the state of Texas. Care to come shoot against me?

You're one of those that believes in the 2nd Amendment except for people with a disability.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Legally blind and BLIND are NOT the same thing. You can have very good eyesight and still be legally blind. Now that my wife has had surgery, she doesn't need glasses most of the time and not nearly as strong. But because she has virtually no peripheral vision she is legally blind. She has about a 4 foot field of vision at 20 feet. She can more than distinguish a target at that distance. And shoots very well for someone that rarely does.

Fair question, what disabilities should disqualify someone from having the tools to defend themselves because you are scared? At what point should they be disqualified?
    Think real hard on that. If your fear disqualifies others, then other's fear gets to disqualify....you. As in your irrational fear of legally blind persons may cause you to make irrational decisions with your firearms so you can't be trusted.......
    Slippery slope and all that crap. Think about it.
    It's much like I told my son about driving. You have three choices;
    1. You have to have a certain amount of trust that everone else on the road will use a certain amount of skill and responsibility to drive corectly and not do something stupid.
    2. Stay home and don't leave.
    3. Nobody gets to drive. Nobody. Not cops, not ambulances,,,,nobody. Incuding you.
    Same with guns. But that gennie is already out of the bottle.

Last edited:

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    EVERYONE has the right to defend themselves.You are trying to go out of your way to discriminate against a person with a disability.

I'm legally blind according to the state of Texas. Care to come shoot against me?

You're one of those that believes in the 2nd Amendment except for people with a disability.

I've shot with Axxe55....he does just fine. Better than some 20/20 folks I've seen, in fact.

Top Bottom