• ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Terrible, but why was the driver not in cuffs (being detained) if the vehicle was getting impounded?
    Things don't add up.

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    I am in Los Angeles right now and the details here are very sketchy....no real information just the usual speculation by the media. Too early to make any judgements...there was a shootout with bad guys and, unfortunately a young officer made the ultimate sacrifice. The whys and what ifs can come later

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Who was watching him as the CHP officer was filling out the paperwork?
    Why was he allowed to go back to the truck and pull out a freakin rifle?

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    From another article: "Police are investigating why the man was stopped in the first place, but the officer determined he needed to impound the truck. The officer had called for a tow truck and was filling out paperwork when the man went back into his pickup and pulled out a rifle, Parker said."

If they're investigating why he was stopped in the first place, it's possible that it was being impounded for some aspect of road worthiness or safety.

If that was the case then there would have been no reason to restrain the owner.

If an LEO makes a traffic stop, calls in a guy's name/drivers license info and dispatch comes back with the guy having a felony warrant, is that interaction logged @ dispatch or anything?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Rather than throwing out a snide remark, how about educating people from your vast knowledge?

The question is valid. I have experience in LE. I have made traffic stops, impounded vehicles, arrested people, had to fight them, been attacked and deployed my firearm. Fortunately I was never shot at.

How about you?

There is nothing out of place about deciding to impound a vehicle sans an arrest or before one. We don't know enough to make that conclusion.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    From another article: "Police are investigating why the man was stopped in the first place, but the officer determined he needed to impound the truck. The officer had called for a tow truck and was filling out paperwork when the man went back into his pickup and pulled out a rifle, Parker said."

If they're investigating why he was stopped in the first place, it's possible that it was being impounded for some aspect of road worthiness or safety.

If that was the case then there would have been no reason to restrain the owner.
    Absolutely one plausible scenario

If an LEO makes a traffic stop, calls in a guy's name/drivers license info and dispatch comes back with the guy having a felony warrant, is that interaction logged @ dispatch or anything?
    Yes. Law enforcement will be able to piece the facts together.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    The question is valid. I have experience in LE. I have made traffic stops, impounded vehicles, arrested people, had to fight them, been attacked and deployed my firearm. Fortunately I was never shot at.

How about you?
    Just can't resist being snide, can you?

Somehow, I can't recall ever having put myself forward as an expert on impounding. Perhaps you can point out the post where I did so.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Terrible, but why was the driver not in cuffs (being detained) if the vehicle was getting impounded?
    Things don't add up.

We do not know yet, but not all impoundments are for criminal offenses that would result in an arrest, so there could be valid reasons for him not in cuffs.

Sublime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas
    I think it is pretty common in CA to tow a veh. And let driver walk and just sign ticket. Could be he also was filling out ticket, calling for a wrecker, and waiting on back up to affect arrest. Guy probably knew what was up as Moto kick was on radio. Some felons do not wanna go back to prison.

If the ofc. Capped him as he made a furtive gesture, we'd probably be talking about how the officer was quick on the draw to take the civil Rights of others away. You know how that goes.

You need to watch more Live PD.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom