• ...and so much more!
  • Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    This week I picked up a Taurus Spectrum for $139.

Nearly two years ago I bought a SCCY CPX-2 9mm for $175.
    I'm liking these budget reviews too Geezer but I can't match the prices you've mentioned, granted one of them is old. Do you get a special deal at bud's?
    Capitol Armory ad

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I do enjoy a cheap ass gun. Used to be Hi-Point and the "ring of fire" manufacturers were really the only ones in that category, but there's better stuff out now. I didn't realize those SCCY can be had for $160 now. Might have to get one for shits n giggles.

The last cheap 9mm I bought was the RP9 for $200. It's a steal at that price.

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    I'm liking these budget reviews too Geezer but I can't match the prices you've mentioned, granted one of them is old. Do you get a special deal at bud's?
    I'm not sure if posting a link is allowed here so just go to Buds and search Taurus Spectrum and SCCY. The Spectrum colored up like mine is still $139, other colors are higher right now. The SCCY has increased in price but are still under $200. Both of the guns come with 2 magazines.

I am not affiliated with Bud's and there are many more places out there. Bud's always offers free shipping, so there's that. I seldom buy new guns, I prefer used and prefer to buy locally and support a local business. But, local folks can't touch these prices.

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    I do enjoy a cheap ass gun. Used to be Hi-Point and the "ring of fire" manufacturers were really the only ones in that category, but there's better stuff out now. I didn't realize those SCCY can be had for $160 now. Might have to get one for shits n giggles.

The last cheap 9mm I bought was the RP9 for $200. It's a steal at that price.

There are cheap guns and there are inexpensive guns. Hi Point always gets a bad reputation because they are not very pleasing to look at. But they work and fill a niche in the market. Most of the people that talk trash about a Hi Point have never even fired one. Nowadays, the inexpensive gun category has a lot of players.

Just because you paid a lot of money for a gun doesn't mean it is reliable. Some of today's guns even state in the owners manual that you'll need to run X number of rounds to break it in. To me, this unacceptable. Your opinion may differ from mine.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2019
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    I picked up a Ruger EC9s at a pawn shop for $175.00 and got a box of ammo at no charge. One of our local gun stores had one for $256.00, and another said he could sell them for $189.50. I picked up a spare Ruger-marked Mec-Gar magazine for less than $20.00. I'm pretty happy.

BTW, it shoots almost as accurately as my S&W Model 469.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    Taurus Spectrum Round 2

I took the little .380 back to the range today and I thought I would use up some odds and ends of ammo that I had gotten in trades over the years. They all had magic bullets in them. Speer Gold Dot and Federal Premium Hydra Shock ran perfectly. A friend was there and he wanted to shoot it. I loaded up some Pow R Ball and gave it to him. He had 2 FTF in one magazine. The plastic ball in the end of the bullet would cause a malfunction. I tried to run another magazine through it with the same results. I went back to the Gold Dot and normal ball ammo and it continued to run like it has all along. After I shoot up all of these "premium" bullets I won't run anything but ball. I'm going to now declare the little gun reliable and good for carry.

Here is the ammo that wouldn't run in the Taurus. Luckily, I have only one box of these.

pow r ball.jpg

Attachments

• pow r ball.jpg
      pow r ball.jpg
      20.3 KB · Views: 480

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Geezer, if you could, I would love to see what you think of a few cheaper handguns.

I own a ruger sr9e and would enjoy reading what you think about it. I have not shot any Canik models or fmk models. I see them at shows with a really cheap price.

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    Geezer, if you could, I would love to see what you think of a few cheaper handguns.

I own a ruger sr9e and would enjoy reading what you think about it. I have not shot any Canik models or fmk models. I see them at shows with a really cheap price.
    I owned a Ruger SR9E but traded it off. It is a great value for the money. Same as the SR9 but without the loaded chamber indicator, which was a plus to me. The serrations on the slide are fewer and wider but I never had a problem with them.
    The trigger on mine was pretty bad but I put a Ghost connector in it and it helped it a lot.
    I have no experience with the Canik or the FMK, so I can comment on them.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    A few years back, I picked up a Taurus PT111G2 just to have a pistol that can live in the truck.

Looks like this:
    2c895a052ed9ba104287b48743d10fa2.jpg

I usually put that gun through Dot Torture once every couple of months or so. Today, I took it out run a new ammo through it...Rem 115gr milsurp Ive got laying around.

The target is a 6” shoot-n-see, shot in 5 rd groups at 3/7/10/15/21, then back down.

5ec6df24dd3f808d369e55fb94e06eb0.jpg

The underlying Dot Torture target is from a warm up round with an M&P22 at 7 yds. Haven’t had that fun little fun out in a long time and it shows.

Attachments

• 2c895a052ed9ba104287b48743d10fa2.jpg
      2c895a052ed9ba104287b48743d10fa2.jpg
      57.9 KB · Views: 491
    • 5ec6df24dd3f808d369e55fb94e06eb0.jpg
      5ec6df24dd3f808d369e55fb94e06eb0.jpg
      134.9 KB · Views: 466
    Last edited:

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    My shooting buddy and partner in crime both got more of the Spectrums, we each got one. We will see if these work like the first one or see if the first one was a fluke. A test sample of three guns will prove....nothing. But at least we'll have fun testing them out. I'll report back when we get to try them.

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    My buddy called earlier and said that he put 50 trouble free rounds through his new Spectrum before the rain started. So far, so good. I hope to try my new one out on Sunday.

Leadslinger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    el paso texas
    If you spend $500 plus on a gun, you expect it to work. But, not everyone has the extra money to spend but still wants to be able to protect themselves and their family. There are a lot of inexpensive guns out there. Do they work? Are they a good buy for the money?

This week I picked up a Taurus Spectrum for $139. Tomorrow I will try it out and report back the good and the bad. Hopefully, there won't be a lot of bad but, it's a Taurus. Taurus seems to be hit and miss on their quality.

Nearly two years ago I bought a SCCY CPX-2 9mm for $175. I had read some good things about them and the main negative thing that I had read was people complained about the trigger.

View attachment 179369

When I checked out the gun, the fit and finish seemed to be pretty good. It came with 2 10 round magazines. The trigger pull was very long but also very smooth. Think of a well used S&W K frame, that's what it reminded me of. The bad part is the reset is all the way to the end of the stroke. You have to make sure the trigger returns all the way forward before firing the next round.

I decided not to clean it or do anything to it, just run it as right out of the box. I loaded up both magazines with 115 gr ball and went to the range. Here are the first 10 rounds through the gun at 10 yards.

View attachment 179370

Here are the next 10 rounds out of the 2nd magazine, also at 10 yards.

View attachment 179371

I gave it to my buddy to try and he stretched it out to 25 yards and shot both magazines through it. Here is his results.

View attachment 179372

We were closing in on 400 rounds when we had our first failure.

View attachment 179373

I cleared the jam and then put some oil on the rails and the gun went back to working. Remember, it wasn't cleaned before we started. It was straight out of the box.

I ended up selling the gun to my buddy and it had just over 1500 rounds through it when it had it's second failure. He then stripped it down and gave it a good cleaning, it's first cleaning, and it's back to running.

Based on this example, I would readily recommend a SCCY to someone on a tight budget that wanted to protect their family. Everyone will always say, "Just save up another $100-150 and buy XXX." Not everyone is a "gun guy" and some people just want the feeling of security of having a gun available if they need it.

This is my review on this particular gun. Your experience may differ. After I sold this one, I had seller's remorse. A couple of months later I was at a gun show and a dealer had a bunch of SCCY's and had some of the unpopular colors on sale. So, I picked up another one. It's had 500+ trouble free rounds through it and it rides in the console of my truck. Ain't it a beauty?

View attachment 179376
    Great review. I really like mine. It runs even nicer with Galloway trigger and hammer upgrade. You can also stretch hammer spring slightly to get better trigger pull.
    This little gun runs like a champ and the ergos of the grip really makes it easy to handle the muzzle.
    I painted front sight orange and havent had an issue. It eats everything I have thrown at it. The price is so good I bought another and outfitted the same. This way if I ever need to take advantage of the warranty I won't be without my little friend.

jbgramps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Austin
    I traded an old Rossi revolver for a Canik TP9sf last year that's been a great shooter. When I first got it I checked the prices on the Internet. It was selling for between $200 - $250. I just checked prices again and it appears they have become more expensive. Now between $250 - $300. I have no idea why the price increase. Maybe the newer guns have modifications my doesn't have.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    I traded an old Rossi revolver for a Canik TP9sf last year that's been a great shooter. When I first got it I checked the prices on the Internet. It was selling for between $200 - $250. I just checked prices again and it appears they have become more expensive. Now between $250 - $300. I have no idea why the price increase. Maybe the newer guns have modifications my doesn't have.

The demand is going up. That's why the price is going up.

I tested both of mine and they both made 1000 rounds without cleaning without a failure. One of them The TP9SF made it to 1700. It's a great gun. I'll swear by them.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rjdearinger2
    Top Bottom