• ...and so much more!
  • Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    If you spend $500 plus on a gun, you expect it to work. But, not everyone has the extra money to spend but still wants to be able to protect themselves and their family. There are a lot of inexpensive guns out there. Do they work? Are they a good buy for the money?

This week I picked up a Taurus Spectrum for $139. Tomorrow I will try it out and report back the good and the bad. Hopefully, there won't be a lot of bad but, it's a Taurus. Taurus seems to be hit and miss on their quality.

Nearly two years ago I bought a SCCY CPX-2 9mm for $175. I had read some good things about them and the main negative thing that I had read was people complained about the trigger.

sccy1.jpg

When I checked out the gun, the fit and finish seemed to be pretty good. It came with 2 10 round magazines. The trigger pull was very long but also very smooth. Think of a well used S&W K frame, that's what it reminded me of. The bad part is the reset is all the way to the end of the stroke. You have to make sure the trigger returns all the way forward before firing the next round.

I decided not to clean it or do anything to it, just run it as right out of the box. I loaded up both magazines with 115 gr ball and went to the range. Here are the first 10 rounds through the gun at 10 yards.

sccy2.jpg

Here are the next 10 rounds out of the 2nd magazine, also at 10 yards.

sccy3.jpg

I gave it to my buddy to try and he stretched it out to 25 yards and shot both magazines through it. Here is his results.

sccy4.jpg

We were closing in on 400 rounds when we had our first failure.

sccy5.jpg

I cleared the jam and then put some oil on the rails and the gun went back to working. Remember, it wasn't cleaned before we started. It was straight out of the box.

I ended up selling the gun to my buddy and it had just over 1500 rounds through it when it had it's second failure. He then stripped it down and gave it a good cleaning, it's first cleaning, and it's back to running.

Based on this example, I would readily recommend a SCCY to someone on a tight budget that wanted to protect their family. Everyone will always say, "Just save up another $100-150 and buy XXX." Not everyone is a "gun guy" and some people just want the feeling of security of having a gun available if they need it.

This is my review on this particular gun. Your experience may differ. After I sold this one, I had seller's remorse. A couple of months later I was at a gun show and a dealer had a bunch of SCCY's and had some of the unpopular colors on sale. So, I picked up another one. It's had 500+ trouble free rounds through it and it rides in the console of my truck. Ain't it a beauty?

sccypumpkin.jpg
    Texas SOT

Attachments

• sccy1.jpg
      sccy1.jpg
      118.1 KB · Views: 1,079
    • sccy2.jpg
      sccy2.jpg
      97.9 KB · Views: 1,114
    • sccy3.jpg
      sccy3.jpg
      135.9 KB · Views: 1,095
    • sccy4.jpg
      sccy4.jpg
      94.9 KB · Views: 969
    • sccy5.jpg
      sccy5.jpg
      40.1 KB · Views: 980
    • sccypumpkin.jpg
      sccypumpkin.jpg
      161 KB · Views: 1,040

Frank59

Wheel Gunner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2018
    San Angelo
    I picked up an M&P Shield 2.0 chambered in 9mm at the High Caliber gun show last summer at 350 dollars out the door. It came with two 7 round mags and the vendor threw in a 8 rounder with the grip extension. It's my favorite carry weapon and shoots beautifully. My CZs and Sigs were about twice as expensive.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    After hearing all the trash talking about Hi-Point I decided just for giggles to get one and give it try.
    Paid $169.00 for a 9mm.
    Big. Clunky. Heavy. Ugly as sin.
    Right out of the box it didn’t run so well.
    Once I learned how to lube it it runs pretty dang well.
    Would I carry it? No.
    For someone on a limited budget needing a night stand gun? Yes.

The best part is watching peoples faces at the range when you hand it to them to shoot.

Last edited:

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    If a Hi Point won't run, it's usually the magazine. We've had a few of them pass through here and they work. If you really want some fun, get a Hi Point carbine.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Geezer,

You are doing a great job.

Please, keep the reviews coming!

I bought a brand new S&W SD9VE for $300.00 out the door including tax. It's a 16 + 1 capacity & came with 2 mags.

It's another gun with a long trigger pull, but is as dependable as can be.

I've shot probably (didn't count) 800 rounds through it without a single failure.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2019
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    If you spend $500 plus on a gun, you expect it to work. But, not everyone has the extra money to spend but still wants to be able to protect themselves and their family. There are a lot of inexpensive guns out there. Do they work? Are they a good buy for the money?

This week I picked up a Taurus Spectrum for $139. Tomorrow I will try it out and report back the good and the bad. Hopefully, there won't be a lot of bad but, it's a Taurus. Taurus seems to be hit and miss on their quality.

Nearly two years ago I bought a SCCY CPX-2 9mm for $175. I had read some good things about them and the main negative thing that I had read was people complained about the trigger.

View attachment 179369

When I checked out the gun, the fit and finish seemed to be pretty good. It came with 2 10 round magazines. The trigger pull was very long but also very smooth. Think of a well used S&W K frame, that's what it reminded me of. The bad part is the reset is all the way to the end of the stroke. You have to make sure the trigger returns all the way forward before firing the next round.

I decided not to clean it or do anything to it, just run it as right out of the box. I loaded up both magazines with 115 gr ball and went to the range. Here are the first 10 rounds through the gun at 10 yards.

View attachment 179370

Here are the next 10 rounds out of the 2nd magazine, also at 10 yards.

View attachment 179371

I gave it to my buddy to try and he stretched it out to 25 yards and shot both magazines through it. Here is his results.

View attachment 179372

We were closing in on 400 rounds when we had our first failure.

View attachment 179373

I cleared the jam and then put some oil on the rails and the gun went back to working. Remember, it wasn't cleaned before we started. It was straight out of the box.

I ended up selling the gun to my buddy and it had just over 1500 rounds through it when it had it's second failure. He then stripped it down and gave it a good cleaning, it's first cleaning, and it's back to running.

Based on this example, I would readily recommend a SCCY to someone on a tight budget that wanted to protect their family. Everyone will always say, "Just save up another $100-150 and buy XXX." Not everyone is a "gun guy" and some people just want the feeling of security of having a gun available if they need it.

This is my review on this particular gun. Your experience may differ. After I sold this one, I had seller's remorse. A couple of months later I was at a gun show and a dealer had a bunch of SCCY's and had some of the unpopular colors on sale. So, I picked up another one. It's had 500+ trouble free rounds through it and it rides in the console of my truck. Ain't it a beauty?

View attachment 179376
    Emergency tools should be international orange, I guess.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    On today's edition of Cheap Gun Reviews, The Taurus Spectrum .380.

A few weeks ago a friend was at my buddy's range and he had his usual array of firearms. I noticed the Taurus Spectrum and the thing that caught me eye was how rounded it was, no corners or edges anywhere. James let me shoot it and I liked it. I was thinking about it last week and ordered one from Bud's Gun Shop for $139 delivered.

It came with 2 magazines and felt good right out of the box. I took the slide off and wiped everything down, lubed it up, and put the slide back on. I took it to the range today to try it out.

spectrum.jpg

I loaded up the magazines with some odds and ends of hollow points that I had and started firing. Some of the ammo was old and I took advantage of the Spectrum's second strike capability. I had three rounds that wouldn't fire on the first trigger pull but did fire on the second pull of the trigger. Second strike is nice.

Here are the first six rounds out of the gun at 7 yards.

spectrum2.jpg

Not too bad for a gun with hardly and front sight. After I used up all of the old hollow point ammo I settled on fresh 90 gr hardball. When I carry this gun I'll carry hardball and not rely on the magic bullets. Placement and penetration is more important. And we we like to say, "They all fall to ball."

I tried a magazine on the hostage target and had three hits out of the six rounds. But, I didn't hit the hostage, either. This was also at 7 yards.

spectrum3.jpg

spectrum4.jpg

All in all, 150 rounds were fired through the little gun with three different shooters. The gun functioned flawlessly, the slide locked back on each empty magazine, and the little pistol seemed to be pretty accurate.

The trigger is wide and smooth and that makes the trigger pull feel lighter than it is. The trigger pull was a little gritty at first but smoothed up quickly. One thing that we all noticed was that is much more pleasant to shoot than a Ruger LCP. It is nearly identical in size to the Ruger but feels better in the hand and with not nearly the amount of snappiness of the LCP.

150 rounds is not enough to determine if a gun is reliable so I'll run at least another 150 through it before I carry it. So far, I am very pleased with the Spectrum. For $139, it is an entertainment value.

Attachments

• spectrum.jpg
      spectrum.jpg
      59.3 KB · Views: 520
    • spectrum2.jpg
      spectrum2.jpg
      88.2 KB · Views: 500
    • spectrum3.jpg
      spectrum3.jpg
      92 KB · Views: 506
    • spectrum4.jpg
      spectrum4.jpg
      90.2 KB · Views: 505

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    Oh, and on the side of the frame looks to be a big slotted screw, it's not. You turn it 90 degrees and the slide comes right off. No pulling the trigger, no lining anything up, just turn the "screw" and slide the slide forward. When you put the slide back on the frame, the "screw" turns back into the locked position automatically. Very easy to take down.

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    Geezer, seriously thanks for these reviews.
    You're welcome. I like cheap (inexpensive) guns that work. My buddy that owns the range wants to order two of them. Heck, I may need to get another one while they are still this cheap. Like my buddy says, "Hell, I want one for each pair of pants."

digger

Curmudgeon
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    West Texas
    I have several Taurus pistols, and have never had an issue with any of them...

Ditto: I have two 85 lightweight ss and two 605 ss bought for myself, wife an daughters plus a PT145 Pro. I have not had a problem with any one of them and the girls shoot as well.

Sublime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas
    Deals are out there, you just gotta look and be ready to buy when you find one. PSA, GrabAGun, CDNN,and another one I can't remember offer decent deals. Kahr CW380 for $199, Kahr CW9 for $289, Shield for $269, Remington RM 380 for $199 and those are just off the top of my head. Buyers looking for affordable guns can definitely find them.

kenboyles72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2017
    Gladewater,TX
    Low cost firearms often get a lot of slack, cause they do tend to have some flaws. That said, every firearm I have bought never costed over $200, except for my AR, which was $400. Every one has run flawless and still have majority of them. They may not be tack drivers at 100 yrds, but plenty accurate enough. I think there should be more threads like this on cheaper firearms, might open the eyes on those that look down on low cost firearms.

Top Bottom