• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Y’all know me and know my preferred carry gun is a Wilson Combat EDC X9.

23ab4279e94bfbba399a9cf6c28ebd14.jpg

Some of y’all know me well enough to know “preferred” was a giveaway. For most of the last couple of months, I’ve been carrying a P365XL Elite.
    01b9fe83879d0e28bad71e42b21cca02.jpg

I made this switch because there’s been a few places I’ve had to go lately where I couldn’t remotely risk printing a firearm.

But this isn’t about having given up on the 1911, because I still carry the WC more often than the Sig. This is about going back and forth between irons and a red dot. I’ve done tens of thousands of presentations with iron sight pistols and it’s pretty natural for me to draw and end up with the f/r sight aligned and ready to go on target.

This little Sig has the tall night sights AND the MRDO on top of the WC grip. Let’s talk about why I went with that grip. I bought the grip before I bought the gun because I was really set on the S&W Shield Plus for mathletes from an ergo standpoint. But it still felt different enough from my WC that I didn’t feel comfortable. So I bought the WC grip module for the P365 to do some presentation work.

It’s no 1911 feel, but it’s closer than either the Sig or S&W offerings. It’s really close to what a WC 1911 grip feels like except the web of the thumb seats higher and the cutout in the trigger guard allows the middle finger and all the others just a bit more real estate so you get a full grip on the grip. That’s a good thing in my book. So that’s how I came to own the P365.

Now, back to the important part. The Sig has tall irons and the MRDO. I like MRDOs, especially on rifles for CQB. What I’ve learned is this little gun has to be presented just a bit higher from the draw or ready position to get the MRDO or the irons in the correct position. Invariably, the sight picture ends up being low, and most of that is attributable to the height of the portion of the gun above my grip being soooo much lower that on a 1911 or duty size 9mm. Generally, what feels like a natural arm rotation/position on the WC winds up with the Sig being somewhere between low read and ready with neither the reticle nor the irons fully visible.

My lesson learned from this is if you’re going to swap guns for EDC, put in the reps on draw/presentation. It’s more important than pulling the trigger.

I’ve got maybe a thousand reps on the little Sig and I’m still off enough for it to be a conscious item to check for and that could be the difference one day.
    ARJ Defense ad

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    Love the leather rig you have for your 1911. I too have been thinking about changing up my edc pistol, the SIG 365 series is one I have been considering.

Are the sights on your model suppressor hight? What is the model of your red dot on your SIG?

Totally agree with your summation in that you really need to get the reps in, especially when going to a new pistol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Sounds like the WC needs a Trijicon.
    Seriously considering sending the slide back to Bill. He charges $200 to mill it. If he doesn’t do the work, he won’t “warranty” the gun any longer.

ETA: probably still end up w/different muscle memory stops though. Pretty certain the driving factor is height above grip.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Love the leather rig you have for your 1911. I too have been thinking about changing up my edc pistol, the SIG 365 series is one I have been considering.

Are the sights on your model suppressor hight? What is the model of your red dot on your SIG?

Totally agree with your summation in that you really need to get the reps in, especially when going to a new pistol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Straight P365XL Elite. Ships with the suppressor height XRay sights (glow dot) and R Zero Elite MRDO.

I prefer the Holosun w/ACSS reticle, but the 507 footprint requires and adapter plate and that fucks with the co-witness and overall height, so I’ll have to wait.

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    I only have a red dot on one pistol and it's a mkiv 22/45. I haven't gone to red dots on carry guns because I like rotating my carry gun depending on my mood and where I'm going. I think you are right about getting reps in for presentation.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Seriously considering sending the slide back to Bill. He charges $200 to mill it. If he doesn’t do the work, he won’t “warranty” the gun any longer.

ETA: probably still end up w/different muscle memory stops though. Pretty certain the driving factor is height above grip.
    The slides I’m having milled I’m putting the sight in front of the red dot. I want the RDS to be the primary system and the first thing my eye sees.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    The slides I’m having milled I’m putting the sight in front of the red dot. I want the RDS to be the primary system and the first thing my eye sees.
    Honestly, I would say I don’t see the irons before the reticle, even at night, but I can see that as a concern. I’ve been shooting with an MRDO or the M68 type reticle for 15yrs now though and that could be the difference for me.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Y’all know me and know my preferred carry gun is a Wilson Combat EDC X9.

23ab4279e94bfbba399a9cf6c28ebd14.jpg

Some of y’all know me well enough to know “preferred” was a giveaway. For most of the last couple of months, I’ve been carrying a P365XL Elite.
    01b9fe83879d0e28bad71e42b21cca02.jpg

I made this switch because there’s been a few places I’ve had to go lately where I couldn’t remotely risk printing a firearm.

But this isn’t about having given up on the 1911, because I still carry the WC more often than the Sig. This is about going back and forth between irons and a red dot. I’ve done tens of thousands of presentations with iron sight pistols and it’s pretty natural for me to draw and end up with the f/r sight aligned and ready to go on target.

This little Sig has the tall night sights AND the MRDO on top of the WC grip. Let’s talk about why I went with that grip. I bought the grip before I bought the gun because I was really set on the S&W Shield Plus for mathletes from an ergo standpoint. But it still felt different enough from my WC that I didn’t feel comfortable. So I bought the WC grip module for the P365 to do some presentation work.

It’s no 1911 feel, but it’s closer than either the Sig or S&W offerings. It’s really close to what a WC 1911 grip feels like except the web of the thumb seats higher and the cutout in the trigger guard allows the middle finger and all the others just a bit more real estate so you get a full grip on the grip. That’s a good thing in my book. So that’s how I came to own the P365.

Now, back to the important part. The Sig has tall irons and the MRDO. I like MRDOs, especially on rifles for CQB. What I’ve learned is this little gun has to be presented just a bit higher from the draw or ready position to get the MRDO or the irons in the correct position. Invariably, the sight picture ends up being low, and most of that is attributable to the height of the portion of the gun above my grip being soooo much lower that on a 1911 or duty size 9mm. Generally, what feels like a natural arm rotation/position on the WC winds up with the Sig being somewhere between low read and ready with neither the reticle nor the irons fully visible.

My lesson learned from this is if you’re going to swap guns for EDC, put in the reps on draw/presentation. It’s more important than pulling the trigger.

I’ve got maybe a thousand reps on the little Sig and I’m still off enough for it to be a conscious item to check for and that could be the difference one day.
    Train what you Carry is what I’m thinking. I just can’t pull the trigger - see what I did there? - on a MRDO on a pistol. We’re about the same age. I’m impressed that you’re not stuck in the same mud as I. I’m a 45AARP (apologies to you) guy though. So that puts me even farther down the old curmudgeon path. You’re like an early adopter in my book.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Train what you Carry is what I’m thinking. I just can’t pull the trigger - see what I did there? - on a MRDO on a pistol. We’re about the same age. I’m impressed that you’re not stuck in the same mud as I. I’m a 45AARP (apologies to you) guy though. So that puts me even farther down the old curmudgeon path. You’re like an early adopter in my book.

<>

We do both calibers; was a .45ACP-only guy for decades.

Today, older & weaker, we prefer 9mmPB, especially b/c of ability to feed various weapons from the same 15 round GLOCK mags.

If my thumbs get any weaker, it’ll likely be back to revolvers & pcc’s.

If TSHTF, common current global military chambering’s would be advisable. Also, multiple identical pieces allow “parts-robbing” to continue function.

But, I’m just an old guy in the country. . . . .

leVieux

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    <>

We do both calibers; was a .45ACP-only guy for decades.

Today, older & weaker, we prefer 9mmPB, especially b/c of ability to feed various weapons from the same 15 round GLOCK mags.

If my thumbs get any weaker, it’ll likely be back to revolvers & pcc’s.

If TSHTF, common current global military chambering’s would be advisable. Also, multiple identical pieces allow “parts-robbing” to continue function.

But, I’m just an old guy in the country. . . . .

leVieux
    I know what you mean about getting weaker.

My EDC has for a long time has been a J frame in my pocket, Hip Grip, or shoulder holster. Depending on my mood or style of dress, I often opt for a PPK instead. The other day, I had an epiphany.

I took down the PPK from it's hook and proceeded to check it's status. To my surprize, I could not pull the slide back to unload it. I had to use the kitchen counter to empty the chamber! Upon checking, I had the same issue. with all of my direct blow back items.

The scary part for me was when I realized that when carrying the PPK, or my Beretta 81, and I would have had a malfunction, I would not have been able to clear a jam and get back in a fight.

Problem solved by changing over to a S&W 3913 "Ladysmith". The footprint is only slightly larger than the PPK, and the delayed blowback allows me to operate it properly; for now at least.

Now for the big question... Does carrying a "Ladysmith" make me appear a little gay? At least it's not pink!

WAA

Sir, I decline to answer, respectfully.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2022
    Slab City
    I change my EDC all the time.

When I decided to add some 1911s to my collection, I was aware of the differences in carry mode, safety operation, et cetera, between a 1911 and my revolvers and Glocks. So I put in the reps. After awhile, it becomes second nature.

Just like my 870 and 1300, I’ll never forget “smooth on the right, ready to fight,” when bringing the shotgun to low ready. Same with the AR thumb and M-14 finger.

If you train you’ll be fine with whichever. I’m sure you like to shoot anyway.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Honestly, I would say I don’t see the irons before the reticle, even at night, but I can see that as a concern. I’ve been shooting with an MRDO or the M68 type reticle for 15yrs now though and that could be the difference for me.
    It’s probably not that big of a deal but it’s offered when having the work done so I’ll take that option.
    Y current two slides have no sights. One is a G26 slide that doesn’t have any installed and the other is a G43 slide that doesn’t give the option for a rear sight.

Top Bottom