• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    I think a TGT Annual Chacalaca Hunt is in order. We need a couple of Brownsville area members to step forward with intel

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    During our years in the RGV, I often heard them around dusk, but rarely saw any. I frequently heard of hunting & eating them, but never did. We considered them just as an oddity. Some call them "Mexican Pheasants". There is a legal "season" & bag limits.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    On the topic of "Valley bird life":

BORED JAPS
    About 15 years ago, down in Brownsville, a colleague from New Orleans called to tell me that he was overnight at the “Fort Brown” Hotel, and asked me to share a late afternoon cocktail.
    Arriving in the parking lot at 5:15-ish, I found some 60 or 70 very well-dressed Japanese, standing around, staring up into the tall palm trees.
    I looked and looked, but couldn’t find anything of interest up there, so went into the bar to meet friend.
    Bartender explained: “There are only four species of parrots native to the United States; and, the only place one could see all four is on the grounds of the old “Fort Brown” on the lower Rio Grande. There are monthly tour-expeditions, from Tokyo to the Fort Brown, for this purpose.”
    Could that many wealthy Japanese really be that bored?
    Guess so !

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    With everything I have learned about these birds, it makes me wonder why they are considered game birds. Makes little sense.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Chasewhat0
    Top Bottom