• ...and so much more!
  • V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Finished trimming the the cut portion of the old receiver from the charging handle tube and filed it square. Installed the front sight to help align the charging handle tube and will help hold it in place for welding. After welding the tube, I will drill the hole for the barrel pin and install it in the front sight.....

After that, weld on the rear sight and the rail I bought with the kit.........

20211208_003217.jpg
    DK Firearms

V-Tach

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Had a couple of "well shit" moments today.......

I tack welded the cocking tube and used the front sight to help hold it in place.....when I tried to move the front sight forward in order to align the heatshield and forearm pin, I broke the welds on the cocking tube...the front sight fit was so tight on the barrel, I had a heck of a time getting it of again.....took some 400 grit sandpaper to the barrel and used some anti seize and it slipped on tight but not too tight......

Re-welded the cocking tube after grinding, filing and sanding my previous welds..........

Drilled the barrel pin through the front sight and drove it in w/o trouble......perfect alignment......

I checked, doubled checked and triple checked the rear sight alignment and instead of just tacking it and checking the alignment, I welded it on........

Yes, I welded it on slightly off center......enough that I couldn't leave it that way......had to cut the welds, regrind, file and sand the receiver and rear sight......

Checked, double, triple and quadruple checked rear sight alignment.....tacked in place......then checked alignment again......success! I rewelded the rear sight in place. I welded the optic rail in place just forward of the rear sight....

It will not win any beauty contests.....it is a pig.......but a functional pig.....Tomorrow I will try and parkerize all the parts and totally re-assemble it for test firing......

Getting closer............

CETME L 1.jpg

CETME L 2.jpg

V-Tach

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Everything has been degreased, bead blasted again and ready for the parkerizing tank.... Spent my off day today driving the Mrs. around shopping.......so didn't get a lot I wanted to do....get done....I'm short a couple of gallons of distilled water....went to start prepping the tank and didn't have near the gallons I thought I had.....I haven't filled the tanks since I brought them to the new shop

It takes me about an 2 hrs to mix/brew it up and get to the right temp.....so depending on what time we get home after work,,,I may just get the solution ready tomorrow then parkerize the parts the next night......although we have been busy everyday....which is not a bad thing.....

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    This is an awesome thread, as usual for your build threads, V-Tach.

One quibble I will jokingly rib you about. I'm not sure a hydraulic shop press is considered a hand tool. ;)

That said, this does look pretty doable with some tools, patience, and a willingness to be ok with screwing up.

V-Tach

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    This is an awesome thread, as usual for your build threads, V-Tach.

One quibble I will jokingly rib you about. I'm not sure a hydraulic shop press is considered a hand tool. ;)

That said, this does look pretty doable with some tools, patience, and a willingness to be ok with screwing up.

lol......True.....but in the video he explains you can just use your vise and a hammer............bought many years ago from Harbor freight for < $100.000...... neither is the mill....but you can use a hand drill.......

V-Tach

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Very nice. Will you be offering build services? Or can I rent your jig?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No Sir, no build services....not nearly talented enough for that......

I rented MARCOLMAR's jig for $30.00/month + S/H......only planning on doing this one for my collection....so wasn't worthwhile to invest in a jig.........

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    lol......True.....but in the video he explains you can just use your vise and a hammer............bought many years ago from Harbor freight for < $100.000...... neither is the mill....but you can use a hand drill.......

Ah ok that's a fair point. The shop presses are pretty cheap still but not sure I have the room for one. If I ever get into AK building I'll probably make space.

What's your take on the accuracy of a drill press instead of a mill? I'd think it'd have too much runout but my opinion is rather uninformed.

V-Tach

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    I would think a drill press would be adequate.....definitely better than a hand drill.......lol....

When I was younger, I always did my own automotive/boat repairs and the press was useful for pressing bearings ect.............

V-Tach

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    What You need for parkerizing......

Distilled water....
    Parkerizing solution...
    Atomized steel/ iron........
    Stainless tank....
    Heat source.......
    Thermometer.......
    Coffee filters.....
    Some steel wire......
    Some old bar stock or old cut barrels to use for hangers....
    20211214_220253.jpg

20211214_220443.jpg

20211214_220915.jpg

20211214_221510.jpg

20211214_215954.jpg

20211214_221738.jpg

20211214_221833.jpg

20211214_222050.jpg

V-Tach

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Stayed up till 3 am last night, but got it done.......test fired it with @Fishin4guns as a witness.....parkerizing came out a very nice gun metal gray...no issues going back together......I think it looks better than painted green....

Functioned flawlessly with Federal 68 gr. match HPBT.......only shot it 25 yards in our indoor range, so will have to sight in in over in Corpus soon....

If I can build one, anyone can can...honest...........

20211218_194805.jpg

20211218_194818.jpg

20211218_194845.jpg

20211218_194857.jpg

20211218_195004.jpg

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    What You need for parkerizing......

Distilled water....
    Parkerizing solution...
    Atomized steel/ iron........
    Stainless tank....
    Heat source.......
    Thermometer.......
    Coffee filters.....
    Some steel wire......
    Some old bar stock or old cut barrels to use for hangers....
    View attachment 293784

View attachment 293785

View attachment 293786

View attachment 293787

View attachment 293788

View attachment 293789

View attachment 293790

View attachment 293791

Thank you so much for sharing this, I always wondered if I could do this at home, going to give it a try in the near future. I've got a couple of similar projects I'll be attempting to build soon as well, might even try a CETME.

V-Tach

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Courious if it will accept a RDIAS?
    It won't because of the denial features MARCOLMAR incorporated into the receiver (which requires heavy modification of the trigger pack). I could have made this one a PDS. I have the parts needed to do so. Don't want to have to give this one up someday...... if I do another, it will be post dealer sample....

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Gorgeous gun! If you build a few more personal guns to get the hang, you could certainly do build services for custom guns - this one turned out great despite the hiccups you detailed.

Top Bottom