Texas SOT

CC/LTC legal?: Company rental car (not "leased"), in my name, and my name is on the Company Card...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Tyler "suburbs"... :)
    Just wondering if 1) CC and 2) LTC is legal in a "rental" car, in my name, but company funded, and not "leased"?

3) How about if I drive from TX to LA in said "rental", not "leased" car/SUV/Truck?
    Target Sports

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    1653000973971.jpeg

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Just wondering if 1) CC and 2) LTC is legal in a "rental" car, in my name, but company funded, and not "leased"?

3) How about if I drive from TX to LA in said "rental", not "leased" car/SUV/Truck?
    Purely speculation on my part, but it might be according to what company policy is regarding firearms within a "company vehicle". The company is funding the rental. I don't think any laws are being violated, but could be in breech of company policies.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    “Legal” in Texas, yes. Louisiana, I don’t know their laws. Isn’t this something you should know as a LTC holder? Can you be fired? Check your employee handbook.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Car may be in your name, but from experience if the company is paying for it (and insurance), it's theirs and you have to comply with their policy.

If no such policy against carrying personal firearms exists, you need to research state laws.

If the latter is the case, you are good to go in Texas. Reciprocity with Louisiana requires a LTC...

Effective October 5, 1998, Texas Governor George W. Bush and W.R."Rut" Whittington, Louisiana Deputy Secretary of the Department of Public Safety, and Corrections, Public Safety Services, proclaimed persons with a valid license to carry a handgun may carry in Texas and Louisiana.

Source: https://www.dps.texas.gov/sites/default/files/documents/rsd/ltc/legal/reciprocity/louisianarecip.pdf

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Tyler "suburbs"... :)
    Employee Handbook=scam-book, and the policy says lease, not rent, and it's my life and, LTC. :D

I am sure I could argue, but since my boss(es) are nearly 1000 miles away... and I pocket carry, or compartment carry during travel, who is going to give me grief? The guys in LA are all pro-2A, and I think they have their LA LTC equiv's too... :)
    Hell I didn't even know a Texan could buy a long gun in LA, until they told me so... :D

Here is the kicker...
    I "did the math" on rental vs. driving my own Truck, and it would cost my company about ~$43.48 more TOTAL, vs. ~4 hours (MOST on my own time [salary]) to get the rental, so if $43.48 for the whole trip is not worth ~4 hours of my own time wasted on getting a rental, then I will not be traveling for "the <company>", any longer, and my team is small, and do the most of any team, which would cripple "<company>" support, as they do not add members of my team, as we do "it all"...

"Is this good for the <company>?!" - Office Space

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Employee Handbook=scam-book, and the policy says lease, not rent, and it's my life and, LTC. :D

I am sure I could argue, but since my boss(es) are nearly 1000 miles away... and I pocket carry, or compartment carry during travel, who is going to give me grief? The guys in LA are all pro-2A, and I think they have their LA LTC equiv's too... :)
    Hell I didn't even know a Texan could buy a long gun in LA, until they told me so... :D

Here is the kicker...
    I "did the math" on rental vs. driving my own Truck, and it would cost my company about ~$43.48 more TOTAL, vs. ~4 hours (MOST on my own time [salary]) to get the rental, so if $43.48 for the whole trip is not worth ~4 hours of my own time wasted on getting a rental, then I will not be traveling for "the <company>", any longer, and my team is small, and do the most of any team, which would cripple "<company>" support, as they do not add members of my team, as we do "it all"...

"Is this good for the <company>?!" - Office Space
    It's entirely your decision as what to do, and it may be splitting hairs, but if your company paid for the rental, even if the rental was reserved in your name, it's technically their vehicle and they can enforce company policies regarding the rental at their discretion. Don't like that policy, then suck it up and drive your own vehicle and carry as you want, or legally as the law allows.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    If you are on company time/expense, you are likely under restrictions of company policy.

Legal and company policy often differ and each has possible consequences for violations.

My answer was found in: CC means CC and loose lips sink ships

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Not long before I retired, the company sent out a new policy via email that firearms were prohibited in/on company property effective a given date (like a week or two later). I and about half the field techs replied, referencing the email, that effective that date we'd be quitting. Boss sent back a notice retracting the new policy......lol

Otto_Mation

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2020
    Montgomery, TX
    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice but here is my philosophy on the matter. This will only become an issue if you have to utilize your weapon to save your life. If you are forced to use you weapon in self defense and lose your job because of that, who cares? You are alive and can get another job. Unless you are over 60, then no one will hire you. :laughing:

Top Bottom