• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    just get a pole line and hook some shrimp and go catch them. Unless you want a certain kind or size.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    This guy sells fish at Discount Feed in Bastrop.

I would imagine he probably visits other feed stores too.

sergeant69

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 6, 2016
    san marcos tx

nice. i'll definantely call em!

rr2241tx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    San Marcos
    Not to rain on the parade, but I've bought farm raised fish numerous times and raised some really good looking egrets and cormorants. My buddy in Belmont used Johnson Lake Management to stock a tank that looks like liquid dirt and he's had big catfish in that pond going on ten years now. Big stockers are not inexpensive, I think a bunch of jug lines and a water trough to transport them home is not a bad suggestion.

sergeant69

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 6, 2016
    san marcos tx
    Not to rain on the parade, but I've bought farm raised fish numerous times and raised some really good looking egrets and cormorants. My buddy in Belmont used Johnson Lake Management to stock a tank that looks like liquid dirt and he's had big catfish in that pond going on ten years now. Big stockers are not inexpensive, I think a bunch of jug lines and a water trough to transport them home is not a bad suggestion.
    question. jug lines are for unattended fishing. water troughs are for livestock to drink out of. am i not reading this right?
    i have been quoted $3 a lb for 2-4 pounders. damn!

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!

I seem to remember hearing that bought fish are sterile and will not reproduce. That the only way to go is wild caught.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    I seem to remember hearing that bought fish are sterile and will not reproduce. That the only way to go is wild caught.
    Not true. Some commercially bought hybrid fish are sterile, but unaltered breeds are fine

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    I have also bought fish from Overtons in Buffalo.
    I was initally concerned about transport since I live in Bastrop, but they heavily oxygenate the water in the tranport containers and I did not lose a single fish on the trip home.

sergeant69

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 6, 2016
    san marcos tx
    I have also bought fish from Overtons in Buffalo.
    I was initally concerned about transport since I live in Bastrop, but they heavily oxygenate the water in the tranport containers and I did not lose a single fish on the trip home.
    i show buffalo is 2 plus hours each way from me and the "max" transport time is one hour. guy in sealy said he wouldnt even transport an hour as the heat will kill em in transit. just too damn hot right now he claims. says oct will be good

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    i show buffalo is 2 plus hours each way from me and the "max" transport time is one hour. guy in sealy said he wouldnt even transport an hour as the heat will kill em in transit. just too damn hot right now he claims. says oct will be good
    Good point about the heat, but my travel time was 2 hrs 15 minutes and the fish all survived.
    Granted, it was not nearly this hot, and they were smaller fish, but like I said, they have oxygen tanks and load the water up with O2, so that is probably why.

rr2241tx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    San Marcos
    question. jug lines are for unattended fishing. water troughs are for livestock to drink out of. am i not reading this right?
    i have been quoted $3 a lb for 2-4 pounders. damn!
    True, jug lines are mostly overnight trotlines but a long the river they greatly expand the area you can survey. Water troughs work fine for carrying live fish short distances. The fish will survive better if you wait for much cooler weather. Circle hooks are much easier on the fish as well.

sergeant69

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 6, 2016
    san marcos tx
    True, jug lines are mostly overnight trotlines but a long the river they greatly expand the area you can survey. Water troughs work fine for carrying live fish short distances. The fish will survive better if you wait for much cooler weather. Circle hooks are much easier on the fish as well.
    ok but im buying the cats from a fish farm. someday. not catching em for transplant. i have used cirlce hooks for jug fishing on the nueces river for years when we lived there. great for jug fishing as they hook themselves as they swim away.

Top Bottom