• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • John Galt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2020
    Huntsville
    Anyone in the Huntsville/Trinity area have experience catching and cleaning snapping turtles?
    My pond is infested and I think that is why I can't keep any other stock fish. I have zero experience with turtles other than having caught a couple while fishing that were HUGE.

Looking for anyone that wants turtle meat to come out to my place and catch a few snapping turtles and show me how to catch, clean and cook them. You, of course, will get to keep ample amount of meat (ie; most).
    Texas SOT

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Anyone in the Huntsville/Trinity area have experience catching and cleaning snapping turtles?
    My pond is infested and I think that is why I can't keep any other stock fish. I have zero experience with turtles other than having caught a couple while fishing that were HUGE.

Looking for anyone that wants turtle meat to come out to my place and catch a few snapping turtles and show me how to catch, clean and cook them. You, of course, will get to keep ample amount of meat (ie; most).

I know a lot of old-timers use to catch them and eat them many years ago.

Maybe someone will be able to help you out.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    turtle 001.jpeg

John Galt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2020
    Huntsville
    I know a lot of old-timers use to catch them and eat them many years ago.

Maybe someone will be able to help you out.
    That's the hope. I've watched a few videos and think I have an idea, but it is so much better when a live human says, "Here's how I do it."

A while back I tried shooting them with a .22 LR. After about 20 minutes of "hunting" a Sheriffs Deputy shows up and asked what I was doing. I told him I was shooting turtles. He replied, "No you're not." I said, "Yes I am." He replied, "There are no turtles in the house up the road that you just shot the window out of."
    Apparently, the .22 LR rounds were just skipping off the top of the water and going wherever. No wonder I never hit one.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    @Axxe55, thanks for the info. Would be much more fun and informative if someone that knew what they were doing helped out, but if push comes to shove, I will try it on my own and let y'all know how it turns out.

I have eaten turtle in the past, but I have never personally cleaned or cooked one. I figured those videos might be the best next source for you if no one could offer some personal guidance for you.

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    Growing up, we had a small (<acre) pond on both sides of the road. Although it is a state highway, think two lane country road with about 10 yards of land to the water.

Mom was always the spotter. Her view from the kitchen was good for both ponds and the crossing. she would yell out for me and I would run and catch them while crossing. I would take them to the next door neighbor who would give me a dollar or two.

I do remember a couple of times the neighbor sent back some of the finished product. Once it was battered and fried like chicken, and once it was some type of stew. Don't recall if I even tried it or not.

Mom was always good at spotting new groundhog activity, and providing advise on the muskrats come trapping season as well.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Did not watch the videos so maybe they mentioned this already or maybe not: Snapping turtle fat is know to hold toxic chemicals/substances/elements that may be in the water they inhabit such as mercury and lead among others. It is supposedly a good idea to cut away the fat and discard it before cooking the meat. Just throwing that out there.

Me, I'd rather take the chance and eat it because the fat is what makes any meat taste good (at least any meat I'd eat and snapping turtle is one, they make an excellent soup).

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Apparently, the .22 LR rounds were just skipping off the top of the water and going wherever. No wonder I never hit one.
    One of the rules of firearms safety before some idiot abbreviated them from 12 to 15 to only four was that:

Never shoot a 22 caliber bullet (meaning 22 LR, L or short when that was a rule) at water because of the danger of ricochets (same went for shooting at live trees with a 22). Damn, I am showing my age as that was something I learned in summer camp.

Top Bottom