• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I did a small experiment today. I had watched a video where a guy had said he never cleaned his brass or did that much prep at all. I have been pretty meticulous about trimming, chamfering, deburring, uniforming the primer pockets, and tumbling the brass. So today I took 5 pieces of once fired brass, neck sized them only, and reloaded them. I then took 5 pieces of fully “processed” brass that was full length resized, and then reloaded them. Both of them loaded with Hornady 140 grain BTHP and Superformance powder, seated .020 off the lands. I shot a group of each at 100 yards, and guess what? Not a single bit of difference! Both groups were just under 1/2”. It was a small sample size, but definitely has me reconsidering all the prep work I have been doing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Texas SOT

scattergun6

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 17, 2021
    San Antonio
    I'm a bit anal retentive when it comes to my brass - I like it to be clean and purty, bright and shiny, and I like my finished rounds to look like jewelry. That's just me....
    I have stopped cleaning primer pockets - read an article in Handloader magazine about an extensive test done comparing brass with clean primer pockets against brass with primer pockets that hadn't been cleaned, and much like your test, there was no difference.
    In my experience it is important to trim bottlenecked rifle cartridge cases - it's very easy to buckle an over-long case or have one fail to chamber due to excessive length. And I'm sure it adversely affects bullet pull, velocity and accuracy to have different lengths of case necks.
    I don't generally trim handgun cases - never seemed to be much need.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I'm a bit anal retentive when it comes to my brass - I like it to be clean and purty, bright and shiny, and I like my finished rounds to look like jewelry. That's just me....
    I have stopped cleaning primer pockets - read an article in Handloader magazine about an extensive test done comparing brass with clean primer pockets against brass with primer pockets that hadn't been cleaned, and much like your test, there was no difference.
    In my experience it is important to trim bottlenecked rifle cartridge cases - it's very easy to buckle an over-long case or have one fail to chamber due to excessive length. And I'm sure it adversely affects bullet pull, velocity and accuracy to have different lengths of case necks.
    I don't generally trim handgun cases - never seemed to be much need.

I will always measure and trim cases when needed, but I’m hoping I can let go of some of my unnecessary steps. Like you, I’m pretty anal retentive, and I’ve always wanted my ammo to look perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    I remember when I cleaned brass with Brasso by hand with a rag. That was before I bought a tumbler.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    All the primer pocket uniforming is anal.
    I've never done it learning long ago it's just a fetish of competition shooters. I only clean brass when it gets dark and makes it hard to see cracks if any in the necks.

GasGuzzler

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    Cooke County, TX
    Brasso is detrimental to brass cases used for loading ammunition. Do not use it.

For most people, "extreme" case prep is more to quicken and smooth out the process when using a progressive, not to increase accuracy. For bench rest it is for accuracy.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Welcome to the club, enjoy your new found free time by shooting more. Just like in life, good looks are fleeting and rarely worth the effort to chase.

Top Bottom