• ...and so much more!
  • TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    This was over 60 years ago and the story given to my mother may have been completely wrong but...

...that statement is particularly poignant to me. My mom had a root canal on a severely infected tooth. According to the doctors who eventually removed her left eye, the infection traveled to her eye and destroyed it.

Now, having a one-eyed mom does have it's humorous side but, frankly, I would have preferred if she had had vision in both eyes.
    A root canal on an infected tooth isn't wrong but the doc should know it may not work and should follow the pt closely, maybe daily, until it resolves. If it doesn't resolve or pt doesn't respond as hoped then investigate & change plan as needed. "Watching it" or "giving more time" is not acceptable if we're talking about a high risk situation.

Military Camp

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    In general oral surgeons pretty much knock everyone out (deep sedation or general anesthesia). Most general dentists do it awake because they don't have the permits & training to knock people out.

I have removed plenty with local only but it takes a special person to tolerate that well. Most people are nervous wrecks if they have it down under local only.

In my practice the fee is the same for local or sedation. Also, I always tell people no one has ever woke up & told me they wish they had stayed awake. Definitely happens the other way, though.

So I had 2 extractions and 4 root canals done with only local. It took almost 7 hours. Dentist (he's also an oral surgeon) said I was the toughest person he'd ever seen. He had to take a break for lunch and left me in the room alone. I took a selfie that was titled "so far so good" circa November 2015
    12039269_1215190631829967_7076817418827154065_n.jpg

Attachments

• 12039269_1215190631829967_7076817418827154065_n.jpg
      12039269_1215190631829967_7076817418827154065_n.jpg
      66.3 KB · Views: 452

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    So I had 2 extractions and 4 root canals done with only local. It took almost 7 hours. Dentist (he's also an oral surgeon) said I was the toughest person he'd ever seen. He had to take a break for lunch and left me in the room alone. I took a selfie that was titled "so far so good" circa November 2015 View attachment 161732
    Wow. I'm impressed you go through it w/ such a positive attitude. Sounds abusive to me.

As a public service announcement:

No real oral surgeon in Texas who promotes themselves as a certified oral surgeon is allowed to perform other types of dental work, including root canals. So, the dentist described above is either: 1) a real oral surgeon who opts not to call himself an oral surgeon & practice general dentistry, or 2) he is a general dentist who likes to cleverly try to portray himself as an oral surgeon.

The first option is legal but I have never seen it. We don't go to 4-6 years of additional training to practice general dentistry.

The second option is very common. A lot, possibly a majority, of general dentists like to advertise and imply they are experts in certain specialties. They carefully word what they say to avoid breaking any laws. I find it reprehensible.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Wow. I'm impressed you go through it w/ such a positive attitude. Sounds abusive to me.

As a public service announcement:

No real oral surgeon in Texas who promotes themselves as a certified oral surgeon is allowed to perform other types of dental work, including root canals. So, the dentist described above is either: 1) a real oral surgeon who opts not to call himself an oral surgeon & practice general dentistry, or 2) he is a general dentist who likes to cleverly try to portray himself as an oral surgeon.

The first option is legal but I have never seen it. We don't go to 4-6 years of additional training to practice general dentistry.

The second option is very common. A lot, possibly a majority, of general dentists like to advertise and imply they are experts in certain specialties. They carefully word what they say to avoid breaking any laws. I find it reprehensible.

Oh, no I asked. He didn't volunteer. he's like 600k in the hole for student loans. We talked quite a bit and got a long quite well. I haven't seen him in over a year and I really should go back for a cleaning. I was getting cleanings every 4 months.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    Oh, no I asked. He didn't volunteer. he's like 600k in the hole for student loans. We talked quite a bit and got a long quite well. I haven't seen him in over a year and I really should go back for a cleaning. I was getting cleanings every 4 months.
    $600k! Ouch! Student loans are going to be the next big bubble to bring down the economy.

Top Bottom