• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sanspeu1r

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Filer, Idaho
    Yes, throwing away a means to check cartridges versus an established industry specification in exchange for ammo that may only work in one gun and checking it is way harder... yeah that is a win. It is like throwing away the manual to your car because all those troubleshooting steps take too long.

If it doesnt fit the gage, there is an issue. Figure it out and actually know your process better. If it happens after seating a bullet then it is likely you have a diameter issue that a pair of calipers can detect. What is the pre and post neck diameter? Possible you have a neck thickness issue? A little math will tell, take some measurements and post them.
    Sounds like an engineer talking. I have always used my actual rifle to check fit. Industry standards are an average, rifles vary, sometimes because of lack of cleaning, sometimes just a difference in which barrel down the line to be bored out had a slightly worn out tool. Once you find the best grouping, exact duplication of everything done is the recipe. JMHO
    Target Sports

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Sounds like an engineer talking. I have always used my actual rifle to check fit. Industry standards are an average, rifles vary, sometimes because of lack of cleaning, sometimes just a difference in which barrel down the line to be bored out had a slightly worn out tool. Once you find the best grouping, exact duplication of everything done is the recipe. JMHO

It isn't just an engineer talking, it is someone who understands standards and has to abide by them day in and day out. They arent an "average", they are exactly what they are. A set of specifications that products who claim to use the standard must be built to, no averaging. Dim, tolerance, hit it.

Dont take that as an insult, I get your position. Make your ammo work in your rifle, cool. Maybe it doesn't work in others because your rifle isnt properly machined to the specification due to that worn out tool you mentioned. A tool that a competent machinist would have discarded because he knew the specification tolerances and that he couldnt hit them with that tool.

We will make the ammo work in a gun that needs to be fixed, the joy of reloading and being unable to rely on standards to troubleshoot an issue, like neck diameter. Could be me, might be.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom