• ...and so much more!
  • Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    ‘82 Honda Accord hatch, ‘82 Camaro, ‘79 Olds Toronado. I didn’t get my first cool guy ride until I saved up enough for a new GMC in ’95. Even that was a stripper but I special ordered it as a SWB single cab, rubber floors, steelies, crank windows, 350 with 3:73 gears with oil/trans cooler (because towing pkg) and posi (although I don’t think that’s the correct term for what GM offered at the time). Whatever, it had actual clutches in the diff and not that electronic Locking crap that today’s truck have. Indigo blue, very pretty color at the time. I had a set of BFG mounted on centerlines waiting in the garage and slapped the on the night I brought it home. A few weeks later I installed a 2/4 drop kit, a roll pan, flow master that dumped at the axle, and I replaced the full size spare with a donut from a Caprice to make it easier for those at my six to see the chrome diff cover peeking from underneath. I still miss that truck
    Gun Zone Deals

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    ‘82 Honda Accord hatch, ‘82 Camaro, ‘79 Olds Toronado. I didn’t get my first cool guy ride until I saved up enough for a new GMC in ’95. Even that was a stripper but I special ordered it as a SWB single cab, rubber floors, steelies, crank windows, 350 with 3:73 gears with oil/trans cooler (because towing pkg) and posi (although I don’t think that’s the correct term for what GM offered at the time). Whatever, it had actual clutches in the diff and not that electronic Locking crap that today’s truck have. Indigo blue, very pretty color at the time. I had a set of BFG mounted on centerlines waiting in the garage and slapped the on the night I brought it home. A few weeks later I installed a 2/4 drop kit, a roll pan, flow master that dumped at the axle, and I replaced the full size spare with a donut from a Caprice to make it easier for those at my six to see the chrome diff cover peeking from underneath. I still miss that truck
    Possibly "Limited Slip" could've been used for terminology?

Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX
    71 Cheyenne Super, big block 400, 4 spd turbomatic trans, chrome bed rails, integrated tool box on the passenger side of the bed, sky blue with a white roof. The add ons: west coast mirrors, chrome grill guard, 3/4 cam, Executioner glass packs with pipes ran out in front of the rear wheels, overload springs from J.C. Whitney, Western Wire wheels with G60's on the front and L60's on the back. My wife of 45 years dated me in that truck. I wish I still had it.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I'm thinking some here have a reading comprehension problem. Funny how some like to criticize the education system of today, but can't even read the first post on the thread and understand the premise and concept of the thread. Jeesh.

This wasn't about the cars anyone posting personally owned, but about cars or trucks that friends or others around town where your hung out as youth were driving.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    While I recall some cool cars, me and my friends couldn't afford one. Cheap Datsuns, Pintos, Vegas, 10yo pickups and such. A friend had a 62 Chevy II that was 15+ years old at the time and would only park it off campus.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Just met a neighbor down the street. He recently got a three-car metal garage, and I’m in the market for one so wanted to pick his brain.

I knew he was into cars, as I’ve seen a CTS-V wagon on drag slicks in his driveway. Not a car from my youth, but bear with me…

What I didn’t expect was (4) Buick Regal T-Types, all fully built…a GNX that he was rebuilding the motor for a buddy of his…and a Trans Am GTA. The guy really likes those Buick 3.8 Turbos

His T-Types all run the quarter in the 9’s with slicks.

And the CTS-V?
    707 hp to the wheels, runs 10’s but traps at 134mph.

If y’all were into BMX bikes in the 80’s, he’s got a Kuwahara, GT, and Powerlight bikes, all pristine. Plus some Honda Kick N Go scooters.

I’m gonna be hanging in his garage quite a bit, methinks. Super cool dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Just met a neighbor down the street. He recently got a three-car metal garage, and I’m in the market for one so wanted to pick his brain.

I knew he was into cars, as I’ve seen a CTS-V wagon on drag slicks in his driveway. Not a car from my youth, but bear with me…

What I didn’t expect was (4) Buick Regal T-Types, all fully built…a GNX that he was rebuilding the motor for a buddy of his…and a Trans Am GTA. The guy really likes those Buick 3.8 Turbos

His T-Types all run the quarter in the 9’s with slicks.

And the CTS-V?
    707 hp to the wheels, runs 10’s but traps at 134mph.

If y’all were into BMX bikes in the 80’s, he’s got a Kuwahara, GT, and Powerlight bikes, all pristine. Plus some Honda Kick N Go scooters.

I’m gonna be hanging in his garage quite a bit, methinks. Super cool dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back in the late 1980's, one of my cousin's owned a 1970 SS 454 Chevelle with a four speed. Engine was not exactly stock, and I don't remember all that went into the engine, but it was healthy.

One evening a bunch of us were hanging out at the Plaza, which was the sort of place where everyone cruised on the weekend nights. My cousin "Lance" showed up and was hanging out with us, and naturally, trash talk about cars started. A guy I went with was hanging out as well. "Dobby" had a 1987 Buick Grand National that wasn't totally stock, and I sort of instigated getting a race going between the Chevelle and the Buick, and I was highly confident in the fact that the Chevelle would beat the Buick, so I put up $200 on the Chevelle.

We eased out of town to a deserted farm to market road, and measured out a quarter mile and had a flagger and someone at the end to determine the winner. Out of three races, the best finish was a difference of eight car lengths! Yep, eight. The worst was twelve car lengths. I was just shocked that a V-6 turbocharged car could literally eat a big 454 built engine in the quarter mile. I gained a huge amount of respect for smaller engines! It cost me $200 to learn that lesson. To add insult to injury, Dobby wasn't even running the NOS that night either, and had turned as low as 10.90's in the quarter mile on the NOS.

Some years later, I saw a black Grand National for sale at one of the local used car dealers, and came really close to buying it. I did test drive the car, and it was fairly stock, and it really great condition, and quick!

Danny2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2020
    Terrell
    Great thread! My first car was a 1973 metalic blue Pontiac LeMans with a white interior that I bought around 1975 for 1700 bucks used. It had a white pinstrip down each side and a 3 speed stick on the floor. I loved that car - Mom hated it lol.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    There was a guy who lived outside my little hometown who had a Shelby. There's a long story that goes with that, but not for here. Anyway, one night he was driving past the gas station where I worked and some kid with a crotch-rocket motorcycle ran up behind him and revved the engine in that "get out of my way" style. So the Shelby took off with the motorcycle racing behind him. As you might expect, the local cop was just up the road running radar and he joined in the parade, pulling over the cycle just before the other city limit. The cop came to the gas station the next night and asked if any of us knew who owned the Shelby. He didn't know it was a Shelby, but he described it and we knew exactly who he was talking about. We, of course, pleaded ignorance about the owner. That particular cop was jokingly referred to as Barney Fife and was widely considered to be an idiot. People used to say that he should only be allowed one bullet, and he should carry it in his shirt pocket. He began to brag about how he was going to get that "racing car" next time it came through town. I said, "Wait. You're driving an AMC Matador. We've fixed flats for you before and I know that you have 3 different size tires (width, one G, 2 Fs, and an H) on the car, and one of the tires is not a radial. You have to get at least a quart of oil every time you fill the gas tank in that lead sled, and when you're idling on the side of the road it looks like you're sending up smoke signals. How on God's green earth do you expect to out race ANYBODY?" He said, "Yeah, it smokes a bit, but it has a police interceptor transmission!" The small crowd in the gas station all said, "Oh, sheeeeeeiiit!" at the same time and he left.

We warned the car owner and he took the long way home for a few weeks until the heat died down. The cop's career ended a few years later. He was following a kid on a motorcycle that had been evading cops in several towns that night. The kid tried to take a shortcut through some yards to avoid being pinned between 2 cop cars. (i.e., the entire police force on duty at the time) The cop followed, but hit a guy wire on a telephone pole and stopped. The kid started losing balance on the bike, and the cop jumped out of the car and shot at him, hitting him in the back of the head. Turned out to be the spoiled teenage son of some crime syndicate boss in a city some miles away. The cop left town and presumably went into hiding.

Top Bottom