• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Muzzle210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    North San Antonio
    The original post has been answered. The thread turned into……how a gun should orshould not be sold (documentation, what is required by law ect..). I must say, I have seen many threads in andaround this topic.
    I know I know, thereare a lot of you out there that may have heard this before and are tired of thesubject. It is just that most of what I read is people that want no papertrail, some minimal, some want excessive documentation or there is no lawrequiring it so I won’t do it, reaching into the why to do it or why not to doit,ect...ect.
    What is never clear to me is (if out of necessity I sellmy pistol or rifle) what exactly is inplace to protect my innocence if what I sold is used in a crime and is tracedback to me because I am the original owner.? Remembering where I was and what I was doing and an alibi to testify tothat fact would be just so great if everything fell into place like that. But, if I can’t remember a dam thing on theday of said crime ……what is in place to protect my innocence? No, I am not paranoid about such things. An hopfully I am never in the situation of havingto sale what I have. Just tryin to findclarity on the topic.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Had an FFL friend of mine call me after the Feds called him regarding another friend that he received a pistol for. They wanted him to contact my friend (who purchased the pistol) to find out where it was (the guy that bought it was in Iraq, unavailable!). I was with the guy when he sold the pistol to someone at a gun show where he was handed the cash and he handed over the pistol (months after he had gotten it). Evidently it had been picked up (at a crime scene or from a suspecte, etc.?) and the feds were tracking back. FFL friend gave that info to the feds and that's the last we ever heard of it. This has been at least two years ago. Evidently once they found out it was legally sold to an individual from an individual, the feds blew it off. That was it! No more fed involvement with the FFL or my friend. They did everything legally and with NO paperwork (other than the initial purchase through the FFL. No bill of sale, etc. More evidence that a bill of sale is NOT necessary.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    The original post has been answered. The thread turned into……how a gun should orshould not be sold (documentation, what is required by law ect..). I must say, I have seen many threads in andaround this topic.
    I know I know, thereare a lot of you out there that may have heard this before and are tired of thesubject. It is just that most of what I read is people that want no papertrail, some minimal, some want excessive documentation or there is no lawrequiring it so I won’t do it, reaching into the why to do it or why not to doit,ect...ect.
    What is never clear to me is (if out of necessity I sellmy pistol or rifle) what exactly is inplace to protect my innocence if what I sold is used in a crime and is tracedback to me because I am the original owner.? Remembering where I was and what I was doing and an alibi to testify tothat fact would be just so great if everything fell into place like that. But, if I can’t remember a dam thing on theday of said crime ……what is in place to protect my innocence? No, I am not paranoid about such things. An hopfully I am never in the situation of havingto sale what I have. Just tryin to findclarity on the topic.

You do not need to be be cleared. Unless the police have evidence that you were involved in some offense, you just tell them you sold the gun three years ago at a gun show. Being the purchaser of a firearm later used in a crime is not probable cause to implicate you in the crime.

As I have said before, if your mother in law was killed with that gun and you claim you sold it, you MIGHT have some 'splaining to do.

Muzzle210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    North San Antonio
    Thanks for the input on my question. My intreast for guns have increased/been reguvenated in the last year or so and researching one thing allways leads to finding other topics of intreast. In fact, I was looking into rifle scope things and ran into other stuff......reminded of what things that have happened and what laws that have been passed this administration.....paints a bigger picture of why one would not want a paper trail. Thanks again for the input. It helped out a lot.

krury

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Schertz
    Advice is free and worth every penny!
    Hello,

I love free advise from people who are 99% sure they know what they are talking about.
    I Chl for 6 years now. The castle law extends to your car, truck, motorcycle, bicycle or your tricycle as long as it is concealed.
    Keep in mind if the boogieman breaks into your car he now has your gun. Hide it a little better than the GB.

I live in San Antonio, TX and I carry a loaded 9mm in the glove box of my car and I do not have my CCL yet, it was my understanding that this was legal according to Senate Bill 378 effective September 1, 2007.

I was talking to my coworkers today about this and they swore up and down this was illegal. They said it was ok to transport the gun from the range and back home but it's against the law to have it loaded and hidden 24/7.

I'm pretty sure they are wrong but it does have me wondering.

Does anyone else do this? Have you been pulled over and told the police officer you had a concealed gun with your CCL?

Thanks,

-Mike

FoxHound

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2012
    San Antonio
    Exactly what I thought

It seemed a lot of people in this thread were implying (or actually believed) that a bill of sale from a firearm used in a crime would be used against the original owner for criminal prosecution, which is absolutely asinine

I just wanted to make sure I understood what people were asking.

That's like selling a car and then getting convicted to accessory to murder if the buyer used it to run over a pedestrian lol

10mm and 45

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    San Antonio
    A little late into this thread but IMO I'd prefer that no one knows what valuables are in my vehicle. The less people know the better. I assume you do not carry it on you since you state you don't have a CHL yet so you just leave it in your car? Now your co workers know you have something of value in your car and that could be asking for trouble. All it takes is one co worker talking about this guy he works with that carries his gun in his car and before you blink you car gets burglarized.

On another topic, when a policeman stops you and ask if you have a firearm in the vehicle should you lie and say no or should you tell him you do?

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I checked. Fortunately NYC and Chicago are at the very end of my list of places I might go! I rarely get out of Texas now that my kids have moved back here from W.V. (to Katy). But I appreciate the recommendation.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    On another topic, when a policeman stops you and ask if you have a firearm in the vehicle should you lie and say no or should you tell him you do?

Never lie, that's asking for trouble. You're also limiting yourself to two options when there are actually three.
    1. Lie.
    2. Answer truthfully.
    3. Refuse to answer.

Like I said, lying is just asking for trouble. I don't know of a law in Texas, but I know it's illegal to lie to a federal cop. I also know that being caught in a lie can justify an officer to further detain, search or even arrest you.

So never lie. If you don't feel comfortable telling him, just refuse to answer.

gwb8568

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    S. Austin
    Quite the awesome thread.....thanks for the laughs and the information shared throughout these 5 pages, THIS is what got me to join this fine site today.

Top Bottom