Hurley's Gold

Carrying a rifle in a bug out situation?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Well yes, but they’re probably not worried about a deer shooting back:facepalm:

Apparently you know very little about East Texas deer!

deer1.jpeg

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    As has been mentioned.... Strap all the gear you are intending to carry to your back and go for a hike. Just how far you get will give you a reality check.
    If you are planning for an EOTWAWKI event.... You need to do trail runs. Will you be driving? Will you we walking? Where would you start from and where are you going to go?
    Now I will give you a little thought.... Highway overpasses are death traps. Someone will control the high ground at an overpass and deny you passage. City streets are death traps for the same reason.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    As has been mentioned.... Strap all the gear you are intending to carry to your back and go for a hike. Just how far you get will give you a reality check.
    If you are planning for an EOTWAWKI event.... You need to do trail runs. Will you be driving? Will you we walking? Where would you start from and where are you going to go?
    Now I will give you a little thought.... Highway overpasses are death traps. Someone will control the high ground at an overpass and deny you passage. City streets are death traps for the same reason.
    Not to mention water water purification first aid rations mess kit and at least a rope saw for wood. And just maybe a vest and nvg's because it's safer traveling at night. Then if you have family and youngersters. Plus if you shoot anything you will be heard. So a suppressor is in order. Then if you have catastrophic failure of your firearms what then.
    Spare parts just the basic ones springs, extractor etc
    Jus asking for a friend

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Not to mention water water purification first aid rations mess kit and at least a rope saw for wood. And just maybe a vest and nvg's because it's safer traveling at night. Then if you have family and youngersters. Plus if you shoot anything you will be heard. So a suppressor is in order. Then if you have catastrophic failure of your firearms what then.
    Spare parts just the basic ones springs, extractor etc
    Jus asking for a friend
    I thought it was just angry old white guys. You're not making this easy.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    But truth if one truly thinks that way you need to make arrangements in advance and plan. But rule #1 no plan survives first contact.
    So back to the original statement the op needs friends that he can get too

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Over the last close to twenty years now, every time I hear someone saying, "Im bugging out and heading to the wood if a SHTF event happens."

This coming more than likely from people who have never even camped out, or gotten out of the city in the first place!

I think they will actually end up becoming bear food!

In my case, bugging out would be rather stupid. I have a place to keep everything already. Food storage, water, and even a source of water if my community water is not working. Land that can grow vegetables. Land that can support livestock. Acres and acres of hunting land all around, with deer, hogs, squirrels, rabbits, ect. I can make traps or booby traps to deter unwanted visitors if needed.

And I don't have to carry anything anywhere.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    I know that it was a question of what ifs but if one gives it some thought.
    If it happens in real life a single person will never make it. Unless you are delta seal etc .... but if you face enough people you lose.
    So bottom line is run if you have to but run to your friends...
    But like I said before this sums it up for me

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    The advantage to being rural Texas hill country is that shit will probably hit here last, probably allowing some time to improve readiness.

I can imagine the circumstance where I might be forced out of my house by a superior force (me being alone at home), but I can't imagine bugging out further than to a neighbor's... If I have to do that it will be with an AR and a 9mm and a 7-3 vest-belt loadout, both of which are at hand.

Before the likelihood of that happening becomes high, I will start sleeping away from the house in varied locations, for ambush should someone come bumping in the night, and I'll start carrying a rifle in the daytime, instead of just a pistol.

In fact, any of my neighbors would be more likely to come under attack than me, them all surrounding me and being closer to the roads. It's more likely that I would need to go support them.

I'll die on this hill, or I'll die trying to take it back, but I'll not be bugging out for some unknown. This is my bugout, there is no other.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    The advantage to being rural Texas hill country is that shit will probably hit here last, probably allowing some time to improve readiness.

I can imagine the circumstance where I might be forced out of my house by a superior force (me being alone at home), but I can't imagine bugging out further than to a neighbor's... If I have to do that it will be with an AR and a 9mm and a 7-3 vest-belt loadout, both of which are at hand.

Before the likelihood of that happening becomes high, I will start sleeping away from the house in varied locations, for ambush should someone come bumping in the night, and I'll start carrying a rifle in the daytime, instead of just a pistol.

In fact, any of my neighbors would be more likely to come under attack than me, them all surrounding me and being closer to the roads. It's more likely that I would need to go support them.

I'll die on this hill, or I'll die trying to take it back, but I'll not be bugging out for some unknown. This is my bugout, there is no other.
    NOW CHOICE HAS BEEN MADE

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!

I hope you have some good water sources there. Since the hill country is well-known for growing rocks, I'd find some small ravines higher up the hillside and make some rock tanks. A couple of hundred-gallon tanks or larger, here and there catching runoff may be a lifesaver while moving about your property in an SHTF event.

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    I too plan on buggin' in. But, in the toolbox of my truck, I keep, an axe, shovel, saw, hammer, assorted screwdrivers, ratchet sets in S.A.E. and metric, some cheap tarps, rope, and other cordage, some spare bottles of fresh unopened coolant and water to make a 50/50 mix, spare fuel (diesel) and oil filter, oil for one change. As well as a plug kit and compressor. I plan to add some assorted fasteners, never know when screws and nails may be needed. Oh, I keep two of the metal folding chairs also, if no trees are available I can stretch a tarp over them to make a shelter or just sit on them.

Top Bottom