Hurley's Gold

Carrying a rifle in a bug out situation?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    I too plan on buggin' in. But, in the toolbox of my truck, I keep, an axe, shovel, saw, hammer, assorted screwdrivers, ratchet sets in S.A.E. and metric, some cheap tarps, rope, and other cordage, some spare bottles of fresh unopened coolant and water to make a 50/50 mix, spare fuel (diesel) and oil filter, oil for one change. As well as a plug kit and compressor. I plan to add some assorted fasteners, never know when screws and nails may be needed. Oh, I keep two of the metal folding chairs also, if no trees are available I can stretch a tarp over them to make a shelter or just sit on them.
    You forgot toilet paper. and plastic trash bags (can be used to make a ground still to capture water overnight and mornings. Duct tape as well as superglue and tampons for wound dressings and sealers.
    Military Camp

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I hope you have some good water sources there. Since the hill country is well-known for growing rocks, I'd find some small ravines higher up the hillside and make some rock tanks. A couple of hundred-gallon tanks or larger, here and there catching runoff may be a lifesaver while moving about your property in an SHTF event.
    I have one tank that holds some water, usually even through summer, and two that catch some rain but don't hold it long. My best water preps are 3 storage tanks holding 2500 gal, 1500 of that from a solar direct pumped well that I can also run from my electric golf cart, and the other 1000 is on a 2nd well that I can run from my Miller Bobcat 250. That well pumps 30 gals/min, so a little gas goes a long way. An EMP could theoretically screw the pooch for me, I guess..., but water is not my main concern for most circumstances. I am 2 miles from a river...

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I too plan on buggin' in. But, in the toolbox of my truck, I keep, an axe, shovel, saw, hammer, assorted screwdrivers, ratchet sets in S.A.E. and metric, some cheap tarps, rope, and other cordage, some spare bottles of fresh unopened coolant and water to make a 50/50 mix, spare fuel (diesel) and oil filter, oil for one change. As well as a plug kit and compressor. I plan to add some assorted fasteners, never know when screws and nails may be needed. Oh, I keep two of the metal folding chairs also, if no trees are available I can stretch a tarp over them to make a shelter or just sit on them.
    M
    Just hush.

Nexus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    Houston, TX
    Suppressed boot action hunting rifle would probably be a good choice. Good to hunt with because of minimal sound and still can use it as defense I'm a pinch.

popo22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Without reading through 85 previous post, I can only suggest decisions I have already made. A .22 rifle is a good choice if you are thinking about possibly hunting small and med. size game over an extended period of time.
    If your fear is from human size animals, a 5.56/.223 rifles is a better option, but with practice a .22 in an eye socket is a game changer. I've been a "LEO" for 35 years and I have NEVER heard of a "motivated" attacker with a .22 round in their eye socket.
    .22 cal is light and you can carry a LOT of rounds for needs that could arise (going "Rambo" aside). A.22 can bring down game up "deer" size animals (including human), so I would not under estimate it's effectiveness.
    If I am anticipating "inner city" survival, I would look to a .223/5.56. If I am looking at a rural strong-hold, a .22 with a .233/5.56 (backup) might be in order.

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    Depends on who is shooting the .22 at you.
    1628015093552.png

flgfish

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2020
    The Woodlands
    I really have no place to “bug out” to… a hotel when fleeing a hurricane is about it. So all of my thoughts generally revolve around being prepared at home.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I understand the concept of "bugging out" and what it entails. I understand that this concept most likely originated with people that live in very large cities urban areas, and the suburbs as well. With a collapse of society, these place would most likely become very fertile killing grounds for many, with lot's of loss of life for just the basic necessities of life to survive.

So the concept of having a bu-out bag and plan to flee the city for the woods or mountains was probably born. All in all, not necessarily a bad idea, if you are prepared for that way of life and can survive. Fact of the matter, If a true collapse of society happens and the the world becomes a wasteland with lawlessness being the order of the day, most that think they are going to bug-out to the mountains or woods, are not going to survive for very long indeed.

Those already living in rural or very rural areas, are most likely going to fare much better, and will be able to adapt to the new way of life much faster, and are much better prepared to deal with the adaptations and survive, and possibly even thrive after a time when things normalize to some degree.

So for those of us that live rural, "bugging out" is just an illogical concept, and doesn't make any sense. With a little imagination and planning, a person could turn their home and or property into a fortress. A fortress makes much better sense than roaming the country.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom